Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't go that far... Young has several moments a game that leave me frustrated. He's come a long way but he still has a ways to go. Needs to be harder in the contest, 2 or 3 times a game I just wish he went a bit harder at the contest as he either is ball watching or isn't imposing himself physically on the contest and kind of just floating in without intent.

Weiters hasn't really been beaten yet by his opponent. He's not as dominant as he was and his intercept game and disposal game aren't what they were at his best but he's still at worst breaking even in his 1v1 matchup. Not winning them but not really losing either. Definitely down on his best, though.
Weiters has had to look after Lynch and Hawkins in the first 2 games. Even though Hawkins is barely moving he still a threat that has to be taken seriously.

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 - Nicholas Newman (CARL)
4 - Sam Docherty (CARL)
3 - Adam Cerra (CARL)
2 -
Sam Taylor (GWS)
2 - Josh Kelly (GWS)
1 - Jack Buckley (GWS)

Reckon SOS was very stiff.

There was no other option. The free goes to the opposition. It doesn't cancel out a kick in. It's no different than a second shot at goal for knocking a player over after a score.

The media drive me mad. They drive home the umpire respect thing but want the umpire to consider the state of the match when making decisions. They want to be experts and fans at the same time.
I can't believe how ill-informed the talking heads are sometimes - I guess they're paid for opinion, which is probably good thing in view of their lack of familiarity with the facts.

I only watched it on Kayo, but I saw that same umpire warn that same player (Coniglio) for remonstrating against a decision earlier in the game, so I am not sure why the second play, where the free was paid, is being treated as an isolated incident. "If you do it again, it's a free kick" is as old as football (well, it's at least as old as mic'ed-up umpires!). Coniglio did it again... I dunno, am I the only one paying attention? I don't want to watch the replay again to find it (once was plenty!)

You've completely missed the issue, this has nothing to do with swearing at an ump. You can clearly hear the umps mic when he’s explaining to Whitfield why he gave the free against Coniglio i.e “he’s arms were out and he said why’s that not a free kick, that’s dissent”. Which is a joke, I’ve seen so many players this year with arms out mouthing “what for” and nothing being paid. Cowman did it on their forward fifty in the fourth and wasn't pinged. So the fact the umpire decides to pay dissent for what Coniglio did, out of the blue, in a tight game, directly in front of goal is dubious. If it happened against us we would be livid.
Once again, no I haven’t, you have.
It isn’t a joke, it’s the rules, sure, you could argue about the position of the call and the time at which the rule was correctly applied, but it’s just another one of the those damned rules being missed or applied.
If you wanna get all uppity about the legalities of the game, Harry should have been given a free for holding the man after having disposed of the ball, or he could have been pinged for incorrect disposal, both looked correct from different angles.
We should have nailed our chances in front of goals, they should have kicked better in their forward 50, I should have worked harder and should be driving Ferrari etc etc.

It's bloody infuriating watching Harry take a shot. Every routine is different...then he has that bent left leg when his foot contacts the ball. Surely a full time footballer can do better than what he's dished up so far this year. All those missed shots can really deflate a side...not to mention give the opposition a sniff.

He should seek out Stewart Loewe...went from very average to a pretty reliable kick for goal.

I can't believe how ill-informed the talking heads are sometimes - I guess they're paid for opinion, which is probably good thing in view of their lack of familiarity with the facts.

I only watched it on Kayo, but I saw that same umpire warn that same player (Coniglio) for remonstrating against a decision earlier in the game, so I am not sure why the second play, where the free was paid, is being treated as an isolated incident. "If you do it again, it's a free kick" is as old as football (well, it's at least as old as mic'ed-up umpires!). Coniglio did it again... I dunno, am I the only one paying attention? I don't want to watch the replay again to find it (once was plenty!)

Interesting. Do you know what quarter at least? I'd look for it.

I always say to my best mate, you dont win many games when you have goal less qtrs and that has proven right many times. We got out of jail on Sat (3rd qtr was our first goal less qtr this year I think) but I'll take an ugly win every day of the week.

It's bloody infuriating watching Harry take a shot. Every routine is different...then he has that bent left leg when his foot contacts the ball. Surely a full time footballer can do better than what he's dished up so far this year. All those missed shots can really deflate a side...not to mention give the opposition a sniff.

He should seek out Stewart Loewe...went from very average to a pretty reliable kick for goal.
Do we have a goal kicking coach? I know Sav Rocca was at the club prior to Covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching replay again. Actually its a good game of football on a lousy surface with a greasy yellow ball. Thats why its gritty footy.

1st quarter, lets just say at least 2 goals for gws probably shouldnt have been....but our blokes didnt throw arms around and gesticulate

TDK marks while Harry held by two opponents and they get a free cos one of them ducked his head under Harrys arm, ball goes down the ground, Weitering pinged for lord knows what, goal to them

Later Hollands pushed in back and no free to us, goal to them

Just think if anybody is gonna whinge about the dissent one they might wanna look a bit closer at the whole game.

All games are riddled with umpire errors that go both ways. Its the nature of the beast.

my take so far this season…
points against shows we a have a defensive plan in place to negate the opposition run on’s we’ve had in the past few years and it’s working…however, delivery into the forward fifty correctly and consistently is a work in progress…goddam I’m looking forward to the day when they click !

we've been on the rough end of the pineapple in a few close ones, so happy to take the (albeit dubious) free kick and take the W...

Yeah seems he has a really bad technique...he seems to swing his leg across his body too on the set shot which often causes him to slice the ball to the left.

Nothing like the very straight actions of guys like Jeremy Cameron, Ben Brown and Bailey Fritsch who are sharp shooters.

Big H is all over the place unfortunately.

Back