Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a post today that CD rated Cripps game as the 7th lowest from a player with more than 40 possessions. Confirmed my thoughts that Crippa's disposal was poor. Needs to get it in the hands of the good users.

I thought that Newman Saad and Acres were our best.

Enough said.

I think aside from his goalkicking which unfortunately seems to have gotten worse, Harry has been really good this year.

Leading long and hard to make contests or take marks and chasing down opponents, his effort has been great in all 3 games.

Whilst I’d prefer a couple more goals I haven’t seen him drop his head at all and IMO his attitude has been first class.

Haha we must be watching two different players. He doesn't drop his head he runs under the long ball and opts to play for free kicks at times when on the lead as opposed to standing strong and going for the mark. This is probably the most disppointing thing from my perspective, something he's had issues with over the past few seasons and something I'm judging him on this year. It's just not good enough at all for a player of his size and stature to not manage to even get hands to the marking contest when kicked long to him. He has the ability, so there is no excuse.

*unless he's carrying some sort of injury which is also very possible

Last edited:
Saw a post today that CD rated Cripps game as the 7th lowest from a player with more than 40 possessions. Confirmed my thoughts that Crippa's disposal was poor. Needs to get it in the hands of the good users.

Voss and Kingsley thought Cripps was the best player on the ground.

7h3bgo.jpg

Having that much of a tank and endurance for a teenager/first year draftee is extraordinary !

Absolute ripper of a kid.

Haha we must be watching two different players. He doesn't drop his head he runs under the long ball and opts to play for free kicks at times when on the lead as opposed to standing strong and going for the mark. This is probably the most disppointing thing from my perspective, something he's had issues with over the past few seasons and something I'm judging him on this year. It's just not good enough at all for a player of his size and stature to not manage to even get hands to the marking contest when kicked long to him. He has the ability, so there is no excuse.

Harry’s ability one on one i think is not at the level it should be, compared to not only other KPP’s but in general, very poor in the way in which he doesn’t use it, doesn’t push off an opponent to create any advantage for space & timing his marks…
Also he has a habit of getting pushed under the ball at times bit easy as well…

I think you are being a bit harsh.

McKay is probably one of the best in the competition for contested marks and is supported by the stats. He averages 3 contested marks a game which is elite and also higher than his career average of 2.2. He is also doing very well with one percenters like tackles and spoils.

The goal kicking is the only part of his game that is struggling.

Last edited:
I think you are being a bit harsh.

McKay is probably one of the best in the competition for contested marks and is supported by the stats. He averages 3 contested marks a game which is elite and also higher than his career average of 2.2. He is also doing very well with one percenters like tackles and spoils.

The goal kicking is the only part of his game that is struggling.

Fair enough. I dont think there's a stat that really measures what I'm asking for. But I think he's definitely down on his last two seasons when it comes to attitude and attacking his marks etc.

Last edited:
'Complete rubbish': Giants bristle at Coniglio 'badgering' claims

Also complaining that Toby was only kept quiet due to the physical treatment he copped. 🤔🤪
Yeah...that's the reason he was kept quiet. We beat him up behind the play like it was the 60's. Newman played a blinder on him & locked him down as well as GWS leaving him to starve at half forward/forward pocket, kept kicking it on his head OR running the ball in and hitting short passes none of which were directed to him..but yeah let's blame "physical treatment by the opposition"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Cripps’s 40 odd touches and doc’s 30 odd touches you’d think we would have had a much bigger winNing margin but the game was just too messy due mainly to condition of the ground.
I don't think the state of the ground has been talked about enough. It wasn't up to professional standard.

I don't think the state of the ground has been talked about enough. It wasn't up to professional standard.
Agreed, I would go so far as to make an official complaint if I were CFC. Maybe the players association needs to say something too. I was holding my breath that someone didn't do a knee or a hamstring on that crap surface.

Does CD factor in ground conditions? Cripps was monstrous in propelling us forward in slippery conditions.

I’d trust the coaches before CD. Numbers can be made to sing all sorts of tunes. I worked in data analytics in Education. Talk about finding outcomes in a cyclone!

Does CD factor in ground conditions? Cripps was monstrous in propelling us forward in slippery conditions.

I’d trust the coaches before CD. Numbers can be made to sing all sorts of tunes. I worked in data analytics in Education. Talk about finding outcomes in a cyclone!
Not as far as I’m aware, but I believe the ‘ranking points’ are scaled (either up or down) firstly for the point in the game (ie is it tight or is it junk time) and then scaled again overall, either up or down, so that each match has an equal number of total points to all players. So I’m theory if it’s a crap day and no one is hitting targets (ie scoring lower) then everyone would get their ranking points scaled up. Equally if it’s a really accurate game, say a super clean, high quality match under the roof, then everyone’s points might get scaled down.

So not a perfect measure, nothing is, but there is some consideration to how all 44/46 players perform on that day.

But you’re not getting points for kicking to the opposition/turnover, regardless of conditions. in fact I believe you lose ranking points for that.

Champion data comes forward with some of the most baffling outcomes possible in its attempts to be relevant.

Cripps was huge at continually driving us forward. Sometimes his disposal wasn't great (caused in part by the state of the ground) but he was hugely instrumental in our win. Voss and Kingsley both voted him best on ground, as did all other media outlets.

The only way to judge a players performance us by your own eyes. Never let yourself be second guessed by stats , supercoach points or meaningless companies like champion data.
Agreed. I thought Crippas game, was good not great, was over rated and his disposal was poor before I looked at the stats or read the CD comments. I think people are getting carried away with the Stats of 42 possession.

"Whether a mistake was made on the weekend or not, it's our view that it was, so let's just admit it and move on."

Did he actually say that....? Holy s**t, that's next level ridiculous.

So even if there was not a mistake made, GWS reckon there was so we (the AFL???) should admit it?

Unless Kingsley is deliberately trying to build an "Us vs. the world" mentality in that club, I can see him being out the door in the next two years. That's not the response of a mature and capable senior coach, that's the response of a petulant sore loser seeking to shift the blame rather than focus on areas for improvement. If your senior coach is making those public comments, then you're fostering a similar mindset in your players, whereby poor results can be blamed on external factors.

Agreed. I thought Crippas game, was good not great, was over rated and his disposal was poor before I looked at the stats or read the CD comments. I think people are getting carried away with the Stats of 42 possession.

As a long time supercoach player Cripps score was very odd. While it is true players get penalised for efficiency Cripps went at 62% and only had 6 turnovers (of which 3 were free kicks). That efficiency is not great but not terrible for an inside mid particularly in harsh conditions. 6 turnovers is actually very low for a player with 42 touches.

Possessions aside he also had 13 clearances, 20 contested possessions and 11 score involvements (all the most of the ground).

I don't think it's Cripps game that has been overated. CD has just had a mare. You get some odd ones every week. Not an all time great game for him but deserved at least 130+.

Back