Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple years ago I mentioned that Newman was a better defender than Williamson... that didn't go down very well...

How about now?

Forget about a couple of years ago. In the best 22 thread half the posters had him out of the team this year for Stocker. And that was a week before he got delisted. If not him then Boyd.

Newman been underrated around here for years though I get the feeling he is finally winning everyone over.

He was awesome in that last five minutes......but five minutes in three weeks does not cut it from where I sit. Especially when you consider the coin he's on. And it's not just performance, it's body language. He really should be kicking on this year to another level, to me it seems he's gone back a few levels.

I too am openly outraged at society's valuation of proper remuneration for our labour, comrade.

He was awesome in that last five minutes......but five minutes in three weeks does not cut it from where I sit. Especially when you consider the coin he's on. And it's not just performance, it's body language. He really should be kicking on this year to another level, to me it seems he's gone back a few levels.

I think aside from his goalkicking which unfortunately seems to have gotten worse, Harry has been really good this year.

Leading long and hard to make contests or take marks and chasing down opponents, his effort has been great in all 3 games.

Whilst I’d prefer a couple more goals I haven’t seen him drop his head at all and IMO his attitude has been first class.

Hey...

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Emma Watson Omg GIF by Harry Potter

I think aside from his goalkicking which unfortunately seems to have gotten worse, Harry has been really good this year.

Leading long and hard to make contests or take marks and chasing down opponents, his effort has been great in all 3 games.

Whilst I’d prefer a couple more goals I haven’t seen him drop his head at all and IMO his attitude has been first class.
He appears to be trying the drop punt more than he did last year which - obviously - is not working as well as snapping does. If we want him going at better than 50% at goal at ranges of 30m+, we need to deal with him working through his issues in games; that means, he's going to miss an awful lot of shots til it clicks.

Jack Riewoldt was a shocking kick at goal for an awfully long time. He's pretty good these days.

Finished the replay now.
Was a good game to watch as far as I am concerned in less than ideal conditions, no idea what folks are on about.
The thread titles need to be less condemning.
Needs to be a celebration every time not whining about how we got the 4 points.

That paddock they played on, what an embarrasment for the AFL. Seen better at country grounds.
And in what universe does Patrick Cripps have to climb the fence to fetch the ball. Totally amateur hour by the league.

It's bloody infuriating watching Harry take a shot. Every routine is different...then he has that bent left leg when his foot contacts the ball. Surely a full time footballer can do better than what he's dished up so far this year. All those missed shots can really deflate a side...not to mention give the opposition a sniff.

He should seek out Stewart Loewe...went from very average to a pretty reliable kick for goal.
It’s a weird one, listened to him on a pod cast discuss his work with sports psych & developing routine & good habits & the extra work he puts in. It then goes kinda pear shaped in game at times.
IMO think he just needs to have more fun out there & stay in the moment. When he gets his tail up he’s unstoppable

Gotta say, I don't like it. Seems as soon as we give someone a wrap their output drops off.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn't effect Newman after the accolades of his game against the Cats

Newman is known for his strong leadership qualities, and he is experienced enough to know you are only as good as your last outing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Do you know what quarter at least? I'd look for it.
I did review the tape, but it's not as convincing as I remembered. Unsurprisingly, it's in the aftermath of Motlop's first goal, where Coniglio was adjudged holding the ball - there was about 5 minutes playing time left in Q2 when that happened. But as the goal is kicked and the players are moving back to position, Anthony Hudson even says "The umpire, warning them not to keep going on with it", but the combatants are not on camera at that point.

Yeah seems he has a really bad technique...he seems to swing his leg across his body too on the set shot which often causes him to slice the ball to the left.

Nothing like the very straight actions of guys like Jeremy Cameron, Ben Brown and Bailey Fritsch who are sharp shooters.

Big H is all over the place unfortunately.
Harry’s set shots at goal were once copybook in the first few seasons at the club, had a beautiful action and simple technique, for whatever reason he has continued to get worse with his natural set shots…

Finished the replay now.
Was a good game to watch as far as I am concerned in less than ideal conditions, no idea what folks are on about.
The thread titles need to be less condemning.
Needs to be a celebration every time not whining about how we got the 4 points.

That paddock they played on, what an embarrasment for the AFL. Seen better at country grounds.
And in what universe does Patrick Cripps have to climb the fence to fetch the ball. Totally amateur hour by the league.

Yeah, couldn't agree more Blue and Blue :thumbsu:
I didn't catch the replay until last night but i had read a fair bit of this thread, late Saturday night after a party.
Man you would have thought it was an absolute game of pus going by the majority of comments by so called 'supporters'.:think:
It was tense, good pressure, fairly good quality footy for the most, marred by some blunders here and there. Enjoyed the replay big time.
Giants have some weapons and play a decent brand. Most people love sinking the boot into them for no other reason other than they are in western Sydney.
They actually have a growing membership, good on them, gotta start somewhere.
Blues were not great but looked invested almost to a man for the majority of the game. Most of our boys played pretty good. Blues are aiming up.

We again played a really defensive brand of footy, we are one of the better teams for scores against, but I don't know if it's entirely driven by us.

Because we have two big intimidating forwards teams are more than likely going to play with extra numbers in defence, double team our two big men. If teams are going to instigate this brand of footy then one of the ways to combat it is to do it to them as well. They were all about getting numbers ahead of the ball when we had it, we were the same when they had it, we had some massive numbers in their forward line at times. This may be just how it is for us.
We also lack speed in the middle of the ground and our kicking hasn't been very good so probably another reason why we aren't as big on attacking football but I think it's definitely got a lot to do with the opposition putting more work in their team defence V Curnow and McKay.

What we could explore is having them both play a little higher up when inside forward 50 and in general, see if we can keep the lose defenders further away from goal and find some other avenues. Silvagni, DeKoning etc. It's probably a little bit of a weakness we don't do this much, these guys aren't super great overhead.

Talking about rucking, not sure I like the ruckmen going inside the forward 50 Arc, there is no one when the ball is hacked out of there, feel playing two rucks, they need to be pushing hard to cover ground and get to these defensive spots.

The question is will this negative footy work against the better sides.

Walsh will be a big deal for us in the side, we lack speed and run in the middle.

Cripps - Massive numbers, very contested game style suites his game.

Docherty - Massive numbers, spent a fair bit of time on the ball, Wish his kicking was better, keeps flushing kicks to the opposition, why?

Cerra - He's getting better form wise. He's become a more inside mid rather than an inside/outside mid.

Newman - Doing what he does best. Smart player, tallish back pocket who does the lock down role better, he's actually the one keeping Plowman out, they play the same role.

Saad - Quality player, had to compete pretty physically in this game, just generates so much run.

Acres - Finally playing some really good footy, it's great to have a winger who can play, will be missed next week.

Hewett - Pretty solid, again it was a bash and crash game so he was important.

Silvagni - As I keep saying, high half forward no rucking is his go. Good for 20 odd disposals and a goal.

Weitering - He was pretty good, I don't think he's in his best form but he was solid.

Motlop - This was a better game from him, feel he didn't hit round 1 fit but he's getting fitter.

Fisher - Again a better game from him, his start to the season was poor, matchfitness looked poor. He was stronger in the contest.

C Curnow - Kicking wasn't as straight as it has been, double teamed most of the game and still performed well though.

McGovern - Did some outstanding things and a couple of mistakes here and there, his hands and his short kicking have been better. Slow start to the season but he's till been really important.

Hollands - A lower possession game but it was solid. Had to compete in a lot of contests which he was able to halve, this is why he is playing over O'Brien. Watching him play, he will be a 300 game player as a winger who finishes his career in defence. You can see he has all that.

Ed Curnow - Looked really slow, labouring, I didn't pick up what job he had but he's had better games.

Pittonet - Slow start to the season and building.

DeKoning - A bit up and down, if he held his marks he would be a very valuable player, IMO this is the difference between his contract value being very high and being standard ruck contract. At this stage he is a standard ruck, his ability to play forward is not showing.

Young - Solid game on Hogan, took some nice marks, wish he was a tad heavier and stronger to match guys that size.

Cowan - Played a solid game, but we will want a player in who can find it a bit more, in saying that, his kicking is high level so we probably are happy where things are at.

Durdin - Getting him up the ground more to get into play, was an ok game, could have done more, however 6 tackles for a forward is very good.

McKay - He was quite, his start to the season has been mixed.

Owies - Started well until injured.

Saw a post today that CD rated Cripps game as the 7th lowest from a player with more than 40 possessions. Confirmed my thoughts that Crippa's disposal was poor. Needs to get it in the hands of the good users.

I thought that Newman Saad and Acres were our best.

Saad definitely in AA form and would be leading our B and F at the moment.

Saw a post today that CD rated Cripps game as the 7th lowest from a player with more than 40 possessions. Confirmed my thoughts that Crippa's disposal was poor. Needs to get it in the hands of the good users.

Champion data comes forward with some of the most baffling outcomes possible in its attempts to be relevant.

Cripps was huge at continually driving us forward. Sometimes his disposal wasn't great (caused in part by the state of the ground) but he was hugely instrumental in our win. Voss and Kingsley both voted him best on ground, as did all other media outlets.

The only way to judge a players performance us by your own eyes. Never let yourself be second guessed by stats , supercoach points or meaningless companies like champion data.

I did review the tape, but it's not as convincing as I remembered. Unsurprisingly, it's in the aftermath of Motlop's first goal, where Coniglio was adjudged holding the ball - there was about 5 minutes playing time left in Q2 when that happened. But as the goal is kicked and the players are moving back to position, Anthony Hudson even says "The umpire, warning them not to keep going on with it", but the combatants are not on camera at that point.
Yes motlop first goal cognilio caught with ball as he transfers ball to hand pass and mots clamps his arm -- after the goal cognilio arms out remonstrating with umpire who says enough that's your first warning .. can hear clearly through audio --

Made me laugh in GWS statement that they said he just doesn't do that .. hahahaha

Yes motlop first goal cognilio caught with ball as he transfers ball to hand pass and mots clamps his arm -- after the goal cognilio arms out remonstrating with umpire who says enough that's your first warning .. can hear clearly through audio --

Made me laugh in GWS statement that they said he just doesn't do that .. hahahaha
I missed that, but crazy to be complaining about what was a blatant free kick.

Yet the coaches viewed him as the best player on the ground.

I think everyone could see that game wasn't as easy to play as it may have appeared. Conditions were awful, the pitch was shocking and skill errors were happening all over the place from everyone. For someone like Cripps to kick the ball out of clearance it's always a bit of an unknown. It depends how the forwards are structured as to whether the ball lands favourably or not, and there's been lots of talk about how bad our structure is in the forward half so Cripps clearing kicks not being effective could just as easily be the fault of how the forwards have lined up.

It wasn't his best game, I won't make that case, but it certainly wasn't bad even when you consider the efficiency rating. The conditions and our low IQ forward line don't help. He also went head to head with Green who was just as inefficient, if not worse, but with fewer clearances and impact. He beat there best clearance player comfortably in a head to head which is also a big win for the game.

Back