Autopsy Rd 3 Blues beat Giants - We're not putting that one in a time capsule

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 versus GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to get the 4 points.
Was not happy see how low our pressure rating was during the game and the very poor kicking for goals.
Looking forward to getting Walsh & Kennedy back in the side. That will straighten us up.

Plenty of love for Newman :thumbsu:

FswZk65aUAEAv0l

Happy to take the 4 points and move on. Pretty disappointing that we were out pressured by the opposition. The pain of last season's ending clearly has dissipated.

A lot of players seemingly not at their best for 4 quarters. Saady appears as though he's not quite right. No great drive from him yet. Weiters and Youngy don't appear completely on top of their games. LOB and Fish have been spoken about a lot already for lacklustre efforts. Moo Cow looks like he could use a spell. Is yet to show any dash but at least gets to the ball to force a contest. Should Georgey even have bothered. Charlie, Harry and Tom not in sync. Overall we just seem to be content with doing just enough. This, of course, gives the opposition belief and games remain close.

I can't really work out if we actually have strategies for D50 exit or for entering F50. It certainly doesn't look like it.

Some encouraging signs from Crippa and JSoS. Hollands continues to earn his keep. Doc was good overall. Newman clearly won his battle with a really good player - well done to him. McG did some weird things then did more good things, so overall not bad. Mots and Durds were alright. The ruck combo was ok.

As long as we keep winning we can't get too upset but we'll need to improve to challenge the best.

Alex C looks like he might have earned a call up. I'd swap him for Lachie Cowan. With Blacres probably out their won't be too many other changes. Matt Kennedy in if he's right but does make us slower. Boyd, Cuningham and Walshy would be handy ins at this time.

We've just got to find a way to improve accuracy in front of goal.

View attachment 1648685

Goal kicking accuracy to date has us 17th. If our goalkicking was even at mid table levels we'd have 3 wins with a healthy percentage.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting to see when we start playing more games on dry grounds such as Marvel

Rounds 1 and 3 were poor conditions, so was our conversion

Seems a bit odd to me that we are appealing/challenging Acres one game suspension, given he was likely to miss the game against Norf anyway though injury.
1. Principle
2. It counts against him for any future transgression. (i.e. he got 1 week only as a first offence)
3. Perhaps they think he's still a chance to play?
Edit:
4. Brownlow (thanks ferrisb )

Last edited:
We've just got to find a way to improve accuracy in front of goal.

View attachment 1648685

Goal kicking accuracy to date has us 17th. If our goalkicking was even at mid table levels we'd have 3 wins with a healthy percentage.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for running the numbers. It confirms that we are extremely inefficient in front of goals compared to the opposition (relatively speaking).

Get Fev down there.

Harry saved the game last week versus Geelong - he may not win the Coleman but he’s doing enough - he just needs to tidy up those set shots.

He was awesome in that last five minutes......but five minutes in three weeks does not cut it from where I sit. Especially when you consider the coin he's on. And it's not just performance, it's body language. He really should be kicking on this year to another level, to me it seems he's gone back a few levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiters mate, since when is your disposal this shakey? Had 2 stinkers on the weekend. Feels like he's "just going" at the moment, hasn't hit full flight. In fact hasn't quite looked the same since his injury last yr.

Was going to say, has been average for some time now. Possibly the most overrated player in the comp as all just assume he plays very well. I feel as if Young has well and truly gone past him.

He was awesome in that last five minutes......but five minutes in three weeks does not cut it from where I sit. Especially when you consider the coin he's on. And it's not just performance, it's body language. He really should be kicking on this year to another level, to me it seems he's gone back a few levels.
ease up.....

Worth re-stating I think: If we improve our goal kicking things will change quickly. We are a confidence team ATM and goals - especially early goals - gets the younger players to lift and tightens up our skill level across the ground. This will bring better performances across the board. Success breeding success.

A lot of the minor quibbles about individual errors will be forgotten once we start to get 6 pointers happening. And the layers will lift. Much easier to put in the extra 10% when you see a reward for it.

Worth re-stating I think: If we improve our goal kicking things will change quickly. We are a confidence team ATM and goals - especially early goals - gets the younger players to lift and tightens up our skill level across the ground. This will bring better performances across the board. Success breeding success.

A lot of the minor quibbles about individual errors will be forgotten once we start to get 6 pointers happening. And the layers will lift. Much easier to put in the extra 10% when you see a reward for it.

Our 1st 3 games :-

v GWS - 9.20

Was going to say, has been average for some time now. Possibly the most overrated player in the comp as all just assume he plays very well. I feel as if Young has well and truly gone past him.
I wouldn't go that far... Young has several moments a game that leave me frustrated. He's come a long way but he still has a ways to go. Needs to be harder in the contest, 2 or 3 times a game I just wish he went a bit harder at the contest as he either is ball watching or isn't imposing himself physically on the contest and kind of just floating in without intent.

Weiters hasn't really been beaten yet by his opponent. He's not as dominant as he was and his intercept game and disposal game aren't what they were at his best but he's still at worst breaking even in his 1v1 matchup. Not winning them but not really losing either. Definitely down on his best, though.

It’s a bit harsh to say he’s not competing. He may not be getting the scoreboard reward but he is playing his role.

Pushing higher up the ground more consistently than I can remember.

Applied a D50 tackle on the weekend which will no doubt be highlighted by the coaching staff.

I think he's competing but no more than he has in the past. I expected more from him this year TBH. That's not to say he wont produce or isn't worth his spot in the side obviously. Just a little disappointed so far.

Back