Opinion Walsh or Rankine?

Should we have taken Rankine instead of Walsh in 2018?

• No. Walsh is irreplaceable and our Midfield would struggle without him

Votes: 81 89.0%
  • Yes . Rankine would be the missing piece to complement our spine and midfield

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Not sure. Both are equally impactful players

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankine would have always headed home to Adelaide, so I guess it's still Walsh
You see that's what's wrong with a thread like this it rubs people up the wrong way.
I could think I guess you could * off to Adelaide and barrack for Rankine and the Crows if you like, but I'd only be thinking it and not saying it.

Wasn't the rumour that Gold Coast were happy to package picks 2 & 3 for 1? I'm sure we would have had to put something else into the mix, but I doubt it would have been a lot. Would have happily had Rankine and Lukosius instead of Walsh. Couldn't believe the comments at the time.

Could have also had Rankine and Rozee, Rankine and one of the King twins, Smith etc. We had a midfield mandate at the time, but you'd take that hit if that kind of offer was made.

That was the word, or #2 & another (B.King @ #6), though think it was the former deal.
Didn’t we fly the SA guys in just before the draft? Never happening vs #1 SW
Was talk SOS was a big fan of the Kings’.

Wasn't the rumour that Gold Coast were happy to package picks 2 & 3 for 1? I'm sure we would have had to put something else into the mix, but I doubt it would have been a lot. Would have happily had Rankine and Lukosius instead of Walsh. Couldn't believe the comments at the time.

Could have also had Rankine and Rozee, Rankine and one of the King twins, Smith etc. We had a midfield mandate at the time, but you'd take that hit if that kind of offer was made.
Anything is possible I guess but I don’t believe it.
Reverse the situation, we have picks 2&3, anyone think SOS would trade 2&3 for pick 1?

Not me.

Last edited:
On exposed form? Any two of them aren't worth one Walsh - not even close. Walsh makes everyone around him play better. None of those blokes can lift their team mates or carry their dead legged team mates like Walsh does. Best midfield player and footballer Carlton has recruited since Judd and he is just getting started.
I see little has changed

Anything is possible I guess but I don’t believe it.
Reverse the situation, we have picks 2&3, anyone think SOS would trade 2&3 for pick 1?

Not me.
I've seen Gold Coast do stranger things, honestly.

My recollection is we thought bids would come in for pick #1, but that nothing serious ever really arrived. I remember hearing we were keen on Max King, but we thought he would go prior to anything we would likely be offered in a package of picks for #1.

My recollection is we thought bids would come in for pick #1, but that nothing serious ever really arrived. I remember hearing we were keen on Max King, but we thought he would go prior to anything we would likely be offered in a package of picks for #1.

I remember discussion around #3 and #6 for #1 but us not budging off #2 and #6 for #1. I am glad that never came to fruition. Sam Walsh was the best fit for our club from that draft.

Ho hesitancy choosing Walsh. Consummate professional. Despite the recent back injuries, it seems he even excels in his recovery and rehab. Rankine has been great for the Crows, but I wouldn't be too quick to forget the patchiness at the Suns and the immaturity he showed. Let's see Rankine produce a consistent body of work at the Crows for a couple of seasons.

We will be reminded tonight of how good Sam Walsh is and how much better we play with him in the team:
1681339000829.png

Match winners don’t play that well without a walsh or multiple good midfielders giving them supply and this thread is based off what 3-4 good games by rankine … let’s talk in 2-3 years .. both good players

Under the assumption that Rankine would stay, which is a big if, it is a good debate.

Right now Rankine is exactly what our forward line needs to a T. We fall away massively after our talls, a consistent lively and dangerous small that can play burst minutes up field would be a dream right now.

However, Walsh is a plug and play gut running mid who balances out our inside, brutish contested game. His impact per disposal sometimes isn't there and has a tendency to bomb long when better options are available but that'd be his only knock. Aside from that he's excellent defensively, support runs all day, great for give and go plays.

Tough call... but right now I'd prefer Rankine. Having said that it's easy to say when Walsh hasn't played yet and we're undefeated after 4 games, so it's easy to forget his impact. I could very well be a victim of moment with that opinion.

During the Covid season for example Walsh was a genuine A-Grade mid and was kicking goals. Last yr his impact waned and his goal kicking has left him, though I'm not sure how hampered and for how long his back was bothering him so that potentially caused it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is certainly an "upon reflection" question. But somewhere in the questions is a philosophical component.
We had the #1 Choice of the AFL draft, and there truly was an abundance of choice . Amongst them Sam Walsh, the King brothers, Rankine, Lukosius, Bailey Smith. Arguably all could have gone number 1 in other draft years.
At the time , the Blues were desperate to build an elite midfield around Cripps and Walsh was seen as the best bet and the most fool proof.

Fast forward to today and we now have Crips, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewitt, Cerra, as the core midfield with many others capable of rotating through such as Doc, Fisher, Martin, williams.
The point is that we seem to have been able to assemble an elite midfield group with seemingly little problem.

Again, arguably, we could survive without Walsh as long as the others stay fit.

Now, with Rankine becoming the Crows most important player, and he being IMO a totally unique talent, having transformed the Crows forward line, would it have been in hindsight better to take Rankine instead of Walsh in 2018. IMO it will be much harder for us to find a Rankine type player- one that would make our forward line unbeatable.

I understand that many will want to defend Walsh to the end, but that is not really the question. Both are phenomenal players. But would we have been better off going with Rankine. There was certainly a few people who wanted to take Rankine at the time
No

/s

Walsh.

It's really not close, particularly with how the game is played.

Running is now so important. Tonight is the first time we'll see Hollands, Acres and Walsh together, but even then it's not the best we'll see since Hollands is rapidly improving and Walsh will be rusty. These 3 with our big mids should build chemistry and make our running game formidable. The extra overlap should also lead to more lead-up plays and mids popping up free in the forwardline.

Rankine would be great but he is NOT the missing piece. We have Motlop and Durdin already who can provide just as much pressure. Rankine is a much better mark but we have Charlie who is a much better target anyway.

Walsh.

It's really not close, particularly with how the game is played.

Running is now so important. Tonight is the first time we'll see Hollands, Acres and Walsh together, but even then it's not the best we'll see since Hollands is rapidly improving and Walsh will be rusty. These 3 with our big mids should build chemistry and make our running game formidable. The extra overlap should also lead to more lead-up plays and mids popping up free in the forwardline.

Rankine would be great but he is NOT the missing piece. We have Motlop and Durdin already who can provide just as much pressure. Rankine is a much better mark but we have Charlie who is a much better target anyway.
They perhaps offer as much pressure but nowhere near the goal threat.

That was the word, or #2 & another (B.King @ #6), though think it was the former deal.
Didn’t we fly the SA guys in just before the draft? Never happening vs #1 SW
Was talk SOS was a big fan of the Kings’.
B.King as 3rd tall would be a ridiculous luxury in our forwardline...but I think the marginal benefit would not be worth it and would cause us cap issues.

Just having one doesn't mean we don't need another. Particularly if ones a big and ones a small.
There's no doubt Rankine would improve our team.

The question is whether he improves us more than Walsh.

The unique benefits Walsh brings to our midfield (we have no other mid who can play inside/outside and run like Walsh), and the strengths of our existing forwards (Charlie + Durdin/Motlop) mean Rankine's benefit is less than Walsh. It's not close.

There's no doubt Rankine would improve our team.

The question is whether he improves us more than Walsh.

The unique benefits Walsh brings to our midfield (we have no other mid who can play inside/outside and run like Walsh), and the strengths of our existing forwards (Charlie + Durdin/Motlop) mean Rankine's benefit is less than Walsh. It's not close.
I would've said exactly the same until seeing Izaks performances this season.

I'm fairly 50-50 on it now, but like I said it my post earlier I'm fully aware I could be a prisoner of moment right now as Walsh is out and his best yr was 2 yrs ago now and we're winning anyway while Rankine is playing career best footy while we have a forwardline that falls away quickly after H and Chaz.

I would've said exactly the same until seeing Izaks performances this season.

I'm fairly 50-50 on it now, but like I said it my post earlier I'm fully aware I could be a prisoner of moment right now as Walsh is out and his best yr was 2 yrs ago now and we're winning anyway while Rankine is playing career best footy while we have a forwardline that falls away quickly after H and Chaz.
Fair enough. Let's hope Walsh reminds us both tonight :)

Have to consider if we'd be where we are now if we'd drafted Rankine 4 years ago instead of Walsh. Would a talented but inconsistent small forward have helped propel us upwards both on the ladder and in the minds of other players we subsequently recruited or resigned? Would some of the other young players who have stepped up, have done so if they didn't have one S. Walsh setting incredible standards?

Honestly, I think that regardless of their talent levels, both now and in the future, the correct play was always to take the standard-setting, gut-running, go-back-with-the-flight, win-at-all-costs midfielder was the one to take in 2018.

2023 is the time to add an exciting and athletic forward 50 excitement machine, who can be fed by a dominant midfield.

Back