Opinion Cripps or Judd

Who has been better for the club?

• Cripps

Votes: 60 40.0%
  • Judd

Votes: 94 62.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

With Cripps on the eve of his 150th game for the club. Who has been better for us out of the two? Judd came to us as a ready made champion. He was going to lead us to the promised land. Cripps came to us with potential. He has developed into a champion at the club and plays in his 150th against Richmond.

Personally, I think that the home grown hero is the winner here.

Have at it!

With Cripps on the eve of his 150th game for the club. Who has been better for us out of the two? Judd came to us as a ready made champion. He was going to lead us to the promised land. Cripps came to us with potential. He has developed into a champion at the club and plays in his 150th against Richmond.

Personally, I think that the home grown hero is the winner here.

Have at it!
Yes.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's interesting. When Judd came we were well and truly in the wilderness having not made the finals since 2001 and having just sacked another coach. Our training habits and work ethic were poor, and the young players like Murphy and Gibbs eagerly latched on to the example Judd set. He was made captain immediately. We made finals in Judd's second year.

When Cripps came, we had just made finals albeit via Essendon being disqualified and we had just had a stirring elimination final win against Richmond. However, we were in the midst of Malthouse systematically dissecting our list and dragging morale back to historic lows. Cripps barely played under Malthouse because of injury and was at the forefront of a rebuild under Bolton.

I really can't separate the way these two warriors dragged players with them, and I am not sure we need to.

I went for Judd because he singlehandedly taught his teammates how to be professional footballers. While Cripps lead by example, I don't think the youngsters coming up with him were unprofessional. They were just young and didn't know how to win yet.

Cripps deserves credit for sticking with the club whereas Judd signed for life in the midst of his career. Judd deserves credit for being able to produce higher quality football when playing through injury.

However, Cripps is going to have more years at the club than Judd and potentially greater success. He can still change his stripes.

Reckon better player and better captain are two separate discussions.

Judd the better player. Cripps better captain.

OGC.ee34f9c1f954d38f937ee0254f26ea0d

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how fickle footy fans are.
A year ago people were claiming that Walsh was our best player & that Cripps may be past his best - now at peak fitness, he's being compared with one of the modern greats.
Judd's best was better but it doesn't matter, we've been lucky to have both players represent our club.

Chis Judd played mesmerizing footy during stages f his footy career, a brilliant AFL footballer , inspirational and so dynamic amazing to watch.
Cripps too is an excellent AFL football, his brute force is true a joy to behold when he’s fine tuned and ready to roll.
Its personal, in the end , but Judy was so sensational, carried our his team for so many years.

My opinion is about the same.
In 2011 we were not far off a preliminary final short of some very poor umpiring in Perth in last quarter.
Mitch Robinson tackles some Eagle player with the ball, clearly drops the ball, no holding the ball decision and from that drop moments later an Eagle got a goal.
Later on Walker was not paid a free kick up our end that probably would have been a goal to us.
Probably was stolen chance to be in prelim final next week. We had Waite, Kruezer and Gibbs miss that final. I suspect two of those three would have been back the next week for prelim final so sliding doors moment in time Judd was with us to go very deep into finals series. Next season lots of injuries de-railed our season and muppets on board sacked a young coach in Ratts that was still learning and the rest is history in Judd time that we went backwards.

Cripps has not played a final, so Judd still well ahead as a result going on team success.
We have stronger list than in 2011 when we were in finals. We also have stronger football department and Cook in charge as CEO so I know dumb decisions unlikely to be made in next few years so Crippa will get a look at finals, probably in sustained period and will probably achieve more team success than in Judd's time.

Having said all that, i kind of like to think of these stars having to measure up with someone in similar time length period with club.
So it more interesting to me to ask the question have they done more than midfielder Greg Williams? and the answer would be no. In his time period from around 1992 we won a flag in 1995 and in the finals as premiership contenders in 1993 and 94. We probably should have won two premierships in his time period but one is better than none. Also being a premiership contender in a period is better team success than no real serious premiership contention.

I really only care about team success at end of the day. When Diesel won the Brownlow Medal, I honestly could not give a s**t, it nice but means nothing to me in terms of team success and premierships. Similarly, Judd winning Brownlow Medal meant nothing much to me, just a nice moment for him. Well done but unless we win premiership and you have premiership medallion around your neck on grand final day, nice is all those other medals are.
So until Crippa has a premiership medallion around his neck, I not really care about the other stuff.

Crippa has a chance to compete with the greats for rest of this decade.
Onwards and upwards Carlton.

Last edited:
Reckon better player and better captain are two separate discussions.

Judd the better player. Cripps better captain.

I will never forget the way Juddy dragged us over the line against the Swans in 2011. The night of the royal wedding. One of the greatest Carlton performances ever imo.

Both equally brilliant captains.

Back