Opinion Walsh or Rankine?

Should we have taken Rankine instead of Walsh in 2018?

• No. Walsh is irreplaceable and our Midfield would struggle without him

Votes: 81 89.0%
  • Yes . Rankine would be the missing piece to complement our spine and midfield

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Not sure. Both are equally impactful players

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
This is certainly an "upon reflection" question. But somewhere in the questions is a philosophical component.
We had the #1 Choice of the AFL draft, and there truly was an abundance of choice . Amongst them Sam Walsh, the King brothers, Rankine, Lukosius, Bailey Smith. Arguably all could have gone number 1 in other draft years.
At the time , the Blues were desperate to build an elite midfield around Cripps and Walsh was seen as the best bet and the most fool proof.

Fast forward to today and we now have Crips, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewitt, Cerra, as the core midfield with many others capable of rotating through such as Doc, Fisher, Martin, williams.
The point is that we seem to have been able to assemble an elite midfield group with seemingly little problem.

Again, arguably, we could survive without Walsh as long as the others stay fit.

Now, with Rankine becoming the Crows most important player, and he being IMO a totally unique talent, having transformed the Crows forward line, would it have been in hindsight better to take Rankine instead of Walsh in 2018. IMO it will be much harder for us to find a Rankine type player- one that would make our forward line unbeatable.

I understand that many will want to defend Walsh to the end, but that is not really the question. Both are phenomenal players. But would we have been better off going with Rankine. There was certainly a few people who wanted to take Rankine at the time

A good debate rubbernub.

My only hesitation in choosing Walsh is the nature of his current injury. Being familiar with a few people with a bulging disc, I know how incapacitated they feel by it. He is awfully young to have it. I do worry that it will limit his career.

Otherwise, I am quite comfortable in choosing Walsh.

Depends what you like. I think they are both elite at what they do best. Rankine is all front half damage whereas walshy is a contest to contest at will type. I’m starting to appreciate these types more because they win you flags whilst the front half types bring bums on seats. Walshy for me.

Players such as Walsh make our team elite long term. We have others but I’ll leave that for another day.
These types bring off field leadership as well as on field consistency and value. That’s what makes them valuable assets. These are the guys that pick themselves, and if you want long term success, these are the guys that you don’t just replace. You go to the draft ever year, for these type of guys. They are worth more than their draft no.
Personally not sure Rankine fits that model of a footballer.

On what they have done so far - Walsh by the length of the straight and a bit more. Rankine might have played 5 good games whilst Walsh has won the rising star, mark of the year and come 4th in the Brownlow.

Pretty confident that Walsh will continue to push to get the best out of himself and those around him.

At the outset Knightmare and the likes told us that we were mad not to take Lukosios, then Kane told us we should have taken Rozee. Every now and then the Kings were mentioned as being the best. Now Rankine is the new darling having played two good games at his 2nd club.

The thing is Walsh has been better than all of them by a significant amount after 4 full seasons. In all probability he will still be, having driven himself to the max and installed a professional culture to those around him, at the end of his career.

He’s only been out a month. Have you forgotten how good Sammy is?

Yes they have. Recency bias.

Havent seen Walsh in ages and Rankine has had 4 good rounds and now suddenly some suggest we should have picked Rankine...pretty absurd.

Walsh burst onto the scene and was consistently a gun in the midfield...for so long it was just him and Cripps. Finished 4th I think in the brownlow only a few years into his career. Also brings leadership.

Rankine is a gun but he won't keep this form up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes they have. Recency bias.

Havent seen Walsh in ages and Rankine has had 4 good rounds and now suddenly some suggest we should have picked Rankine...pretty absurd.

Walsh burst onto the scene and was consistently a gun in the midfield...for so long it was just him and Cripps. Finished 4th I think in the brownlow only a few years into his career. Also brings leadership.

Rankine is a gun but he won't keep this form up.

I hope Rankine keeps it up. Great player to watch. Even so I would still take Walsh.

Both generational players IMO.

Walsh will be a 300 game player,multiple AA,future captain and hopefully premiership captain,multiple best and fairest and hopefully brownlow medal winner.

Rankine will become one of the best small forwards the game has seen,right up there with Cyril.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't the rumour that Gold Coast were happy to package picks 2 & 3 for 1? I'm sure we would have had to put something else into the mix, but I doubt it would have been a lot. Would have happily had Rankine and Lukosius instead of Walsh. Couldn't believe the comments at the time.

Could have also had Rankine and Rozee, Rankine and one of the King twins, Smith etc. We had a midfield mandate at the time, but you'd take that hit if that kind of offer was made.

Wasn't the rumour that Gold Coast were happy to package picks 2 & 3 for 1? I'm sure we would have had to put something else into the mix, but I doubt it would have been a lot. Would have happily had Rankine and Lukosius instead of Walsh. Couldn't believe the comments at the time.

Could have also had Rankine and Rozee, Rankine and one of the King twins, Smith etc. We had a midfield mandate at the time, but you'd take that hit if that kind of offer was made.

On exposed form? Any two of them aren't worth one Walsh - not even close. Walsh makes everyone around him play better. None of those blokes can lift their team mates or carry their dead legged team mates like Walsh does. Best midfield player and footballer Carlton has recruited since Judd and he is just getting started.

On exposed form? Any two of them aren't worth one Walsh - not even close. Walsh makes everyone around him play better. None of those blokes can lift their team mates or carry their dead legged team mates like Walsh does. Best midfield player and footballer Carlton has recruited since Judd and he is just getting started.
get off the *en fence............

Back