Prediction Your 2024 "Breakout" player?

Remove this Banner Ad

You wouldn't play Smith?

Wow!
I thought he was very inconsistent last year (can attribute some of that to his concussion), but he's still our best rebounding defender (well Dawson I guess, but pleaaaase Nicks move him permanently to a wing)

Need to find a replacement for him soon, though. Our Hayden Young, if you will

You wouldn't play Smith?

Wow!
I would absolutely play Smith most weeks, just not off half back anymore. He gets found out too much defensively these days, especially when opposition teams gain momentum - he actually goes to water under pressure more than he should, and he really wasn’t effective for the vast majority of 2022. He’s become a panic and bomb it long player out of defence at this stage of his career (his kicking accuracy has noticeably dropped off coming out of the back half), who relies on playing on from kick-ins to pad his stats and metres gained, and I really think he needs a role change to benefit the team.

Smith starting on one wing and Dawson on the other for me, with Smith rotating to a half forward flank where he can be a genuine goalkicking great, and Dawson rotating to a half back flank where he can use his excellent intercept skills.

Soligo to spend more time at the coalface in 2023, but to still be the main other guy who covers a wing when those guys rotate away from there. Rankine and Rachele can push up the ground to do this at times too.

I’d be keen to see Zac Taylor off a half back flank personally. Excellent decision maker. Would much rather him in the side than Parnell if it came down to a choice between the two. I could see him performing a Nick Daicos-lite role (note: I’m saying “lite” because he is not as good as Nick Daicos, and almost definitely never will be. That doesn’t mean he’s not AFL-standard. In fact, fk it, he’s my 2023 breakout player. Taylor. Beast. Closely followed by Sam Berry, who I think will really start to establish himself as a premier clearance mid in 2023)

Obviously guys like Doedee, Worrell, Murray and Butts will be mainstays in the D50 (in addition to Dawson who will clearly still spend a lot of time floating around the defensive 50), with the likes of Parnell, Hinge, Jones, and hopefully Taylor to play roles down back at times too. Michalanney would be more of a 2024 prospect at AFL level I would’ve thought, but might get a game or two towards the end of 2023.

Milera should play the odd game, with an emphasis on trying to utilise him to hit up targets, but if he doesn’t show some serious form by the bye, he can probably * off forever tbh.

I would absolutely play Smith most weeks, just not off half back anymore. He gets found out too much defensively these days, especially when opposition teams gain momentum - he actually goes to water under pressure more than he should, and he really wasn’t effective for the vast majority of 2022. He’s become a panic and bomb it long player out of defence at this stage of his career (his kicking accuracy has noticeably dropped off coming out of the back half), who relies on playing on from kick-ins to pad his stats and metres gained, and I really think he needs a role change to benefit the team.

Smith starting on one wing and Dawson on the other for me, with Smith rotating to a half forward flank where he can be a genuine goalkicking great, and Dawson rotating to a half back flank where he can use his excellent intercept skills.

Soligo to spend more time at the coalface in 2023, but to still be the main other guy who covers a wing when those guys rotate away from there. Rankine and Rachele can push up the ground to do this at times too.

I’d be keen to see Zac Taylor off a half back flank personally. Excellent decision maker. Would much rather him in the side than Parnell if it came down to a choice between the two. I could see him performing a Nick Daicos-lite role (note: I’m saying “lite” because he is not as good as Nick Daicos, and almost definitely never will be. That doesn’t mean he’s not AFL-standard. In fact, fk it, he’s my 2023 breakout player. Taylor. Beast. Closely followed by Sam Berry, who I think will really start to establish himself as a premier clearance mid in 2023)

Obviously guys like Doedee, Worrell, Murray and Butts will be mainstays in the D50 (in addition to Dawson who will clearly still spend a lot of time floating around the defensive 50), with the likes of Parnell, Hinge, Jones, and hopefully Taylor to play roles down back at times too. Michalanney would be more of a 2024 prospect at AFL level I would’ve thought, but might get a game or two towards the end of 2023.

Milera should play the odd game, with an emphasis on trying to utilise him to hit up targets, but if he doesn’t show some serious form by the bye, he can probably * off forever tbh.
Not answering all of this but what taylor has shown so far has been his reading off hands is his 1 wood, you play him in the centre not at half back.

Not answering all of this but what taylor has shown so far has been his reading off hands is his 1 wood, you play him in the centre not at half back.
Long-term, Taylor is a mid no doubt, but short term, unless there’s injuries, we have Laird, Berry, Soligo and a host of others who are realistically going to get more AFL midfield time than Zac.

Would I play Keays in the midfield at AFL level? No, I’d play him at half forward. Will the selectors play him in the midfield? Probably.

I wouldn’t play Sloane in there either but we all know that’s likely. Then there’s also Schoenberg to contend with who is further along in his development, and the seemingly out of favour Hately and Crouch who have absolutely no diversity in their games so can’t be redeployed elsewhere if they do break back into the AFL side.

I’d much rather utilise Taylor at half back at AFL level than play him exclusively as a mid in the SANFL for the whole year. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to playing him in the centre square in the AFL side, but it’s tough to see him displacing enough of these other guys - I’d go as far to say that it’s just not going to happen at this point.

Long-term, Taylor is a mid no doubt, but short term, unless there’s injuries, we have Laird, Berry, Soligo and a host of others who are realistically going to get more AFL midfield time than Zac.

Would I play Keays in the midfield at AFL level? No, I’d play him at half forward. Will the selectors play him in the midfield? Probably.

I wouldn’t play Sloane in there either but we all know that’s likely. Then there’s also Schoenberg to contend with who is further along in his development, and the seemingly out of favour Hately and Crouch who have absolutely no diversity in their games so can’t be redeployed elsewhere if they do break back into the AFL side.

I’d much rather utilise Taylor at half back at AFL level than play him exclusively as a mid in the SANFL for the whole year. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to playing him in the centre square in the AFL side, but it’s tough to see him displacing enough of these other guys - I’d go as far to say that it’s just not going to happen at this point.
taylor wont even be in round 1 simple as that

Soligo for me. Gee he had a great start to his AFL career. He looks a lot stronger this year already. Hopefully, he can hit the scoreboard a bit more, that's what he needs to improve on over the next few years.

Harry Schoenberg to shake off his under performing season 2022 and extract the digit and really get going in 2023.

Could have been Sam Berry but I think he really broke out this year and expect him to take his game up another level in 2023.

Anyone else going to put it on the line now that pre-season training is almost done?

I went Harry Schoenberg in October and I've seen nothing that wants me to change that opinion.

Anyone else going to put it on the line now that pre-season training is almost done?

I went Harry Schoenberg in October and I've seen nothing that wants me to change that opinion.
Probably want to see for my own eyes, but predicting Rankine explodes as a Mid/Fwd with Sam Berry going to next level

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pedlar will be the 2023 version of Worrell - folks on here will see what his true potential at AFL level is and they’ll love it.

Thilthorpe will be the 2023 version of Berry. Will enter beast mode on several occasions and we will see the future match winner start to come out.
Thankyou very much. I take cash or cheque.

Nick Murray and Mitch Hinge - need some quality to break out in defense and these boys could be it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A little bump on this one given todays news. Reckon he was right in the conversation as best breakout player of the year (with Murray until he did his knee!)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For me - I would love it to be Luke Pedlar or big Filthy. If it is both, we are in a good spot to finish top four.

Hopefully Rachele has another level to go to as he has already 'broken out' to a point.

If given an opportunity I reckon Zac Taylor would also surprise a few.

Brayden Cook would be a nice, and somewhat unexpected surprise if he were to cement a spot in the 22, but not sure he has it in him.

Agree re Curtin - what I saw at training last week shows me that come round one he will be a lock for the year.

My prediction of Sam Berry last year was a bit average upon reflection, but didn't he go backwards at a rate of knots?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back