Strategy Your club's best 22 in 2022 – Where are the gaps? Draft needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Turner Mckay Corr
HB: Ziebell Walker Hall
C: Powell LDU McDonald
HF: Thomas Comben Sleevo
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy Simpkin cunners
I: CCJ, Horne Francis, Bonar, Phillips
Sub: jed

Emg: Ford Lazzaro Hayden Mahony Xerri Perez Scott Polec

could do with a young KPD and a goal kicking small forward otherwise pretty happy

So you're gonna take Blake Schlensog back again.....and play him in the two's....again....hmmmm....think he might like to play in the firsts somewhere else.

Lol he'd only need 1 year of development with some senior games, before he became a regular in 2023.

I didn't realize that drafting a player meant they had to play straight away? Even mature agers still have to bide their time. There's no guarantees that SDK is ready by then, so Schlensog could indeed be who lines up there come Round 1 next year - or they could both be there, and Blics somewhere else - who knows?

Either way, it's a little rich to just discount us getting him on the basis that he's not immediate Best 22.

Silly comment.

Lol he'd only need 1 year of development with some senior games, before he became a regular in 2023.

I didn't realize that drafting a player meant they had to play straight away? Even mature agers still have to bide their time. There's no guarantees that SDK is ready by then, so Schlensog could indeed be who lines up there come Round 1 next year - or they could both be there, and Blics somewhere else - who knows?

Either way, it's a little rich to just discount us getting him on the basis that he's not immediate Best 22.

Silly comment.

Lol....I'll tell him you think its silly that he's gonna be stuck in the two's again....now THAT's a silly comment. He knows GFC moved him on for SDK but after moving interstate to restart his career....he's pretty intent on playing firsts in 2022.

We need an elite hard running mid with good pace and skills.
At least one tallish half forward goal kicker, one quick leading tall forward and a small who can rove packs playing forward.
So Ward, Erasmus, JVR and Motlop lasting to after the top 40 picks. Erasmus could definitely start as the tallish half forward. Not to much to ask for.
So our best 22 after the draft.
B: Walker A.Pearce Logue
HB: Ryan Cox Clark
C: Ward Serong Tucker
R: Darcy Young Brayshaw
HF: Walters Tabs Erasmus
FF: Swita Lobb Fyfe

I/C Sturt, Mundy, Chapman, Henry (Henry to play wing more than forward)
Em Frederick, Aish, Treacy
It has been suggested by some players in the media l(like Brayshaw) that Young will spend more time onball as a way of replacing Cerra's midfield kicking.
Tucker has not had a good run with injuries for years. I think he could yet be a huge surprise packet next year on a wing.

Hardwick, Hartigan/DGB, Jiath
Impey, Sicily, Scrimshaw
Day, Omeara, Bramble
Gunston, Kosi, Moore
Bruest, Lewis, Brockman
Reeves, Mitchell, Wingard

Howe, Lynch, Phillips, Nash

Hartigan/DGB changes depending on the size of the opposition forwards and how well DGB goes in the gym.

Really need midfield class (x 2-3), I don't think we have a single midfielder that an opposition would worry about tagging. Then a key back and then small forward.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Forget Worpel or deliberately leave him out?
Think Frost gets a game if not to play on the talls then at the least on the small forwards which i think he is better at

Forget Worpel or deliberately leave him out?
Think Frost gets a game if not to play on the talls then at the least on the small forwards which i think he is better at
Good points. Forgot Worpel, probably in for Nash or Phillips. Frost a good chance to since Scrimshaw can also rotate through the midfield. Nice to have a lot of options in at one least part of the field.

Richmond

B: Grimes Tarrant Broad
HB: Vlastuin Balta Rioli
C: Pickett Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Edwards Lynch Baker
F: Martin Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Nankervis Prestia Graham
Int: Lambert Short Soldo Stack
Sub: Caddy
Emg: RCD Castagna Ross Dow

Needs: KP depth, Midfield class and grunt.
#7 - Ward/ Erasmus/ Hobbs/ Gibcus
#15 - Sonsie/ Sinn/ Johnson/ Van Rooyen
#26 - Taylor/ Butler/ Howes/ Long
#28 - Williams/ Bazzo/ Wilmot/ Chesser

Richmond

B: Grimes Tarrant Broad
HB: Vlastuin Balta Rioli
C: Pickett Cotchin McIntosh
HF: Edwards Lynch Baker
F: Martin Riewoldt Bolton
Foll: Nankervis Prestia Graham
Int: Lambert Short Soldo Stack
Sub: Caddy
Emg: RCD Castagna Ross Dow

Needs: KP depth, Midfield class and grunt.
#7 - Ward/ Erasmus/ Hobbs/ Gibcus
#15 - Sonsie/ Sinn/ Johnson/ Van Rooyen
#26 - Taylor/ Butler/ Howes/ Long
#28 - Williams/ Bazzo/ Wilmot/ Chesser
Dunstan would’ve been perfect but it is what it is

Lol....I'll tell him you think its silly that he's gonna be stuck in the two's again....now THAT's a silly comment. He knows GFC moved him on for SDK but after moving interstate to restart his career....he's pretty intent on playing firsts in 2022.

All he has to do is pick the phone up.... Sydney is calling

Hawthorn has I think six more list spots to fill.

2021 list needs will be mainly focusing on:

• Midfielders
• Key defender
• Small/medium forwards
To be specific, midfield is the no1, key defender is literally just one but even then, Callow could be this. Small and Medium forwards is also. everywhere else looks very good.

Hardwick, Hartigan/DGB, Jiath
Impey, Sicily, Scrimshaw
Day, Omeara, Bramble
Gunston, Kosi, Moore
Bruest, Lewis, Brockman
Reeves, Mitchell, Wingard

Howe, Lynch, Phillips, Nash

Hartigan/DGB changes depending on the size of the opposition forwards and how well DGB goes in the gym.

Really need midfield class (x 2-3), I don't think we have a single midfielder that an opposition would worry about tagging. Then a key back and then small forward.

Frost mate.
Worpel aswell..

+ No Phillips.

Best 22:
B: Ridley - Stewart - Kelly
HB: Hind - Laverde - Redman
C: Langford - McGrath - Cox
HF: Stringer - Jones - Snelling
F: Tippa - Wright - Francis
R: Draper - Parish - Merrett
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Shiel - Perkins

Needs:
- inside mid
- small forward
- outside mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Wait be real, do you actually know him, because it sounds like you do? If that's the case, given Steven Wells' comments over the past few days re: Schlensog and us wanting him back, combined with Henderson retiring, means there's a real chance that he could slot in if he wants it.

Honestly, I'm just a no nothing supporter on Big Footy who's spouting hypotheticals that might not even be in the realm of possibility. If you actually know him, then don't let my opinion actually impact what it is Geelong think of him - because they're likely worlds apart.

For the record, I'm very keen on getting him back and have been all off season

Best 22:
B: Ridley - Stewart - Kelly
HB: Hind - Laverde - Redman
C: Langford - McGrath - Cox
HF: Stringer - Jones - Snelling
F: Tippa - Wright - Francis
R: Draper - Parish - Merrett
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Shiel - Perkins

Needs:
- inside mid
- small forward
- outside mid
Parish, Stringer, Merrett is one of the most dynamic centre bounce trios in the comp, why do you need to add to that? Langford can play that defensive negative role on oppositions best mid.

What you do need is better forwards, especially key forwards. Wright is serviceable but Jones just doesn’t cut it. Small forwards yea.

B: Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Harry Cunningham
HB: Nick Blakey, Tom McCartin, Justin McInerney
C: Oliver Florent, Callum Mills, Isaac Heeney
HF: Will Hayward, Logan McDonald, Errol Gulden
F: Tom Papley, Lance Franklin, Peter Ladhams
Foll: Tom Hickey, James Rowbottom, Luke Parker
I/C: Josh Kennedy, Chad Warner, Braeden Campbell, Sam Wicks

Needs:
- Key defenders
- Inside mids

Key defenders are the only dire need for the Swans if they wish to compete in the last fortnight of the season. The elimination final against the Giants exposed our man on man defence against quality key forwards when they’re given premium supply inside forward 50. Granted, this could be mitigated if we were able to secure possession and clearances at centre bounces more consistently.

Considering that our game plan is centred around frenetic pressure and chains of uncontested possessions by foot, however, centre bounce clearances seem less important to patch up so long as the defence is able to absorb the pressure of opposition midfields. I'm hoping that the Swans target a high calibre player to shore up the backline next off season as it really seems to be the only thing stopping us from seriously challenging deep into September.

2022 Free agents of interest: Darcy Moore, Jayden Laverde, Tom Barrass

B: Ben Paton, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie
HB: Jimmy Webster, Tom Highmore, Jack Sinclair
C: Brad Hill, Jack Steele, Jack Billings
HF: Jade Gresham, Rowan Marshall, Tim Membrey
F: Dan Butler, Max King, Jack Higgins
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Zak Jones, Brad Crouch
I/C: Nick Coffield, Hunter Clark, Dan Hannebery, Seb Ross

Depth
Def - Battle, Geary, Joyce, Allison, Connolly
Mid - Byrnes, Bytel, DMac
Ruck - Heath, Hunter?
Fwd - Sharman, Long, Kent, Wood

Needs
- Back-up Ruck (more like as a DFA)
- Speed
- Balanced Mids
- Maybe another back-up key forward

Main priority is adding to the midfield. Most clubs would have more than 3 mids as 'depth' on their list. All of the 3 listed could easily be in the best 22 depending on the week given Hanners chances of being fit is very low. Hopefully we get both NGA guys which would help this area and its why all Saints fans want a versatile mid at pick 9.

Another back-up ruck is our biggest hole given Heath is still young and Gags was uncommitted to Hunter staying. He also said on Friday Battle will be settled in defence next year, we are no longer desperate to add to that area but we will get going shorter than you'd expect in that area. Looking at this breakdown, another key forward back-up wouldn't go astray given Ryder will miss games so another option to cover Marshall up forward might be nice as another DFA option.

Parish, Stringer, Merrett is one of the most dynamic centre bounce trios in the comp, why do you need to add to that? Langford can play that defensive negative role on oppositions best mid.

What you do need is better forwards, especially key forwards. Wright is serviceable but Jones just doesn’t cut it. Small forwards yea.
20 year old kicks 20 goals from 16 games in his debut season and "doesn't cut it". One of the worst assessments I've seen going around based on what he's shown.

B: Walker - McKay - Turner
HB: Hall - Corr - Ziebell
C: Stephenson - Thomas - McDonald
HF: Ford - CCJ - JHF
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Mahoney
R: Goldy - Cunnington- Simpkin
I/C: LDU - Powell - Taylor - Atu

Emergency: Phillips, Comben, Scott

Very hard to fit all the young mids in and I have probably missed someone like I usually do. Chose Atu as that defence is a little one-paced.

Gaps and Draft Needs:
- HB class with Ziebell and Hall on the older side of things. Maybe Banks with a later pick
- KPD depth with Walker being very average and Corr being undersized. Bazzo or Aleer here.
- Small fast forwards and pressure forwards are a major hole with only spicer and Mahoney capable of it. One of Dudley, Curtis, Stretch or Judson Clarke with later picks.

GWS

B: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Lachie Ash
HB: Connor Idun, Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene, Harry Himmelberg, Tim Taranto
F: Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Bobby Hill
Foll: Brayden Preuss, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio
IC: Matt Flynn, Callan Ward, Tanner Bruhn, Harry Perryman

Depth:
Def: Davis, Keeffe, Stein, Fleeton, Peatling, Kennedy, Wehr
Mid: O'Halloran, de Boer, Angwin, Shaw
Fwd: Sproule, Riccardi, Lloyd, Stone, Brown
Ruck: Briggs

A few points:
  • the ruck set-up is an unknown - I've put Preuss in as he was traded in as the primary ruck, but Flynn & Briggs showed good promise when used in 2021 and could easily take the slot in 2022. I've included a secondary ruck at this point.
  • If everyone is fit, I think Phil Davis has been passed by Jack Buckley, based on their respective 2021 form.
  • The younger mids are stepping up to replace the old stagers such as MdB & Cal Ward. I've got one in, one out for 2022.

Deficiencies:
  • Davis & Keeffe are on their way out and will need to be replaced by a developing KPD soon
  • if Jesse Hogan could get fit and play 90% of games the forward set-up would be very strong; unfortunately he doesn't. We still need to develop Riccardi to see if he can be a decent KPF, but will need to draft a developing KPF soon
  • Given Lloyd's about to hit 30 and Bobby Hill may not re-sign after this year, a small forward to develop should be strongly considered

GWS

B: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Lachie Ash
HB: Connor Idun, Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene, Harry Himmelberg, Tim Taranto
F: Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Bobby Hill
Foll: Brayden Preuss, Jacob Hopper, Stephen Coniglio
IC: Matt Flynn, Callan Ward, Tanner Bruhn, Harry Perryman

Depth:
Def: Davis, Keeffe, Stein, Fleeton, Peatling, Kennedy, Wehr
Mid: O'Halloran, de Boer, Angwin, Shaw
Fwd: Sproule, Riccardi, Lloyd, Stone, Brown
Ruck: Briggs

A few points:
  • the ruck set-up is an unknown - I've put Preuss in as he was traded in as the primary ruck, but Flynn & Briggs showed good promise when used in 2021 and could easily take the slot in 2022. I've included a secondary ruck at this point.
  • If everyone is fit, I think Phil Davis has been passed by Jack Buckley, based on their respective 2021 form.
  • The younger mids are stepping up to replace the old stagers such as MdB & Cal Ward. I've got one in, one out for 2022.

Deficiencies:
  • Davis & Keeffe are on their way out and will need to be replaced by a developing KPD soon
  • if Jesse Hogan could get fit and play 90% of games the forward set-up would be very strong; unfortunately he doesn't. We still need to develop Riccardi to see if he can be a decent KPF, but will need to draft a developing KPF soon
  • Given Lloyd's about to hit 30 and Bobby Hill may not re-sign after this year, a small forward to develop should be strongly considered

Without injuries that's a premiership team . The only concern is your key forwards,who can kick 40+ goals , maybe riccardi can recapture his first year form .

Without injuries that's a premiership team . The only concern is your key forwards who can kick 40+ goals , maybe riccardi can recapture his first year form .
Yes, great team on paper, injuries have been our bugbear since 2017 onwards.

If Jesse Hogan can overcome his injuries, then he is that dominant 40+ KPF. Otherwise, yes, Riccardi needs an opportunity to see if he's that guy. Otherwise, we need to go to the draft to find that KPF. Like a few other teams!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back