Strategy Your club's best 22 in 2022 – Where are the gaps? Draft needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Sheppard, Barrass, Rotham HB: Duggan, McGovern, Hurn C: Gaff, Yeo, Sheed HF: Rioli, Darling, Petrevski seton FF: Ryan, Kennedy, Allan R: NicNat, Shuey, Kelly IC: Williams, Redden, Cripps, Foely E: Petruccelle, Cole, Waterman, O'Neill

FB: Sheppard, Barrass, Rotham HB: Duggan, McGovern, Hurn C: Gaff, Yeo, Sheed HF: Rioli, Darling, Petrevski seton FF: Ryan, Kennedy, Allan R: NicNat, Shuey, Kelly IC: Williams, Redden, Cripps, Foely E: Petruccelle, Cole, Waterman, O'Neill

On paper it still looks good . But with a heavy reliance on Kennedy, mcgovern completely out of form, a lack of speed over the ground , one paced midfield and a very out dated game plan the next few years could be pretty lean.

Parish, Stringer, Merrett is one of the most dynamic centre bounce trios in the comp, why do you need to add to that? Langford can play that defensive negative role on oppositions best mid.

What you do need is better forwards, especially key forwards. Wright is serviceable but Jones just doesn’t cut it. Small forwards yea.
I feel we need a bigger body like a Daniel Howe or George Hewett type to offer that defensive coverage we lack at times as you suggested. Langford’s best fit is a hybrid wing-half forward role imo and we need a player to complement the offensive skillset of the Stringer, Merrett, Parish trio. We also lack a genuine winger with pace and two-way running ability besides Durham, who has shown promise but still quite raw.

I think a key forward may be on the radar down the line but the club appears to rate Baldwin highly and we’d be more likely to go after a mature age kpf if he doesn’t work out rather than developing a draftee. I’m surprised you think that Jones doesn’t cut it as I’d say he had as solid a season as you could possibly have as a ‘first’ year key forward. I’d expect him to go past Wright as our number 1 within the next 2 years.

Last edited:

On paper it still looks good . But with a heavy reliance on Kennedy, mcgovern completely out of form, a lack of speed over the ground , one paced midfield and a very out dated game plan the next few years could be pretty lean.
We are hoping that Schofield and knights can help get our midfield going. We kick backwards way too often and it's so easy to defend against. Also hoping Willie and SPS can help keep the ball inside the forward line, last year we were always too tall and the footy came out sooooo bloody easily. Unless we draft the next Chris Judd I think we will be competitive for 2 to 3 years then bottom out and be a bottom a 4 team soon after. With next year probably our last genuine chance, with lots of luck and a good injury list, anything can happen.

UPDATED (Hore & Declase delisted 18/10/21):

Current Best 22:

FB: Salem May Lever
HB: Bowey Petty Rivers
C: Brayshaw Harmes Langdon
HF: Petracca T. McDonald Pickett
FF: Spargo B. Brown Fritsch
RUC: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Jackson Hunt Neal-Bullen Sparrow
SUB: Jordon

List Breakdown of Age (best to worst in each position):

KEY DEF: May (29) Lever (25) Petty (21) Tomlinson (28) J. Smith (25) Turner (19)
MED DEF: Salem (26) Rivers (20) Hunt (26) Hibberd (31)
SMALL DEF:
Bowey (19) D. Smith (19)

INSIDE MID: Oliver (24) Petracca (25) Viney (27) Harmes (26) Sparrow (23) Jordon (20) Dunstan (26) Woewodin (18)
OUTSIDE MID: Langdon (25) Brayshaw (25) Baker (23) Laurie (19) Rosman (19)

RUC: Gawn (29) Jackson (20) Daw (30)

KEY FWD: B. Brown (28) T. McDonald (29) Weideman (24) M. Brown (31)
MED FWD: Fritsch (24) Melksham (30)
SMALL FWD: Pickett (20) Spargo (21) Neal-Bullen (25) Chandler (21) Bedford (21)

It's assumed that we take Woewodin Jr. with a late/rookie pick.

Supposedly we're looking into Sinn/Butler with the first pick, so therefore best available.

After that if you look at the age profile of the list above our needs would be:

1. Key Forward (new project player especially if Weid doesn't turn into something)
2. Outside Midfielders/Half Back Flankers/Medium Forwards
2. Best Available

I wouldn't be opposed to another ruck project player with a rookie slot with Bradtke gone.

Last edited:
I feel we need a bigger body like a Daniel Howe or George Hewett type to offer that defensive coverage we lack at times as you suggested. Langford’s best fit is a hybrid wing-half forward role imo and we need a player to complement the offensive skillset of the Stringer, Merrett, Parish trio. We also lack a genuine winger with pace and two-way running ability besides Durham, who has shown promise but still quite raw.

I think a key forward may be on the radar down the line but the club appears to rate Baldwin highly and we’d be more likely to go after a mature age kpf if he doesn’t work out rather than developing a draftee. I’m surprised you think that Jones doesn’t cut it as I’d say he had as solid a season as you could possibly have as a ‘first’ year key forward. I’d expect him to go past Wright as our number 1 within the next 2 years.
Yeah so do we, speaking of which didn’t Howe get delisted lol?

Can just pick him up for free?

Key defence a disaster zone for the Swans.

Rampe is a crafty genius but well undersized and towards the end of his career . May well be cooked.

McCartin is a very good third banana but not a big man and can't play on the gorillas or the talls

FB: T. McKenzie, T. Jonas, R. Burton
HB: D. Houston, A. Aliir, D. Byrne-Jones
C: K. Amon, W. Drew, X. Duursma
HF: Z. Butters, J. Finlayson, C. Rozee
F: R. Gray, C. Dixon, M. Georgiades
R: S. Lycett, O. Wines, T. Boak
INT: O. Fantasia, R. Bonner, S. Motlop, S. Powell-Pepper

All going well, Sam Hayes, Lachie Jones and Miles Bergman to have replaced Scott Lycett, Riley Bonner and Steven Motlop respectively by the end of the year.

Problem with this side is that although are no real glaring weaknesses on paper, there aren't really any massive premiership level strengths either. Outside of Wines, and to a lesser extent Boak and Aliir, it's a hell of a lot of B+ footballers but not many A graders. B+ makes finals, but it doesn't win flags.

Posted this on our board earlier today.

Approach
I tried to:
- give all our players a rating
- use an age/performance curve to forecast how player's ratings will change in the next couple of years
- feed the info into charts to show how we look in the next couple of years

No doubt no one will have the same view on ratings, or on the curve I used. But that probably isn't the point. More just to see what we need on our list in a couple of years.

Summary of what I think we need
We have 8 spare spots. Assuming that we fill 7 of them this off-season, my take from the charts is that we need:
- 1 young tall defender
- 1 young tall forward
- 1 mature-age ruck
- 1 young small/medium defender
- 3 mids

Charts

Notes:
- the dots on each players line is their age and rating in July of 2022, 2023 and 2024.
- the shaded red bit is just to try and show the likelihood that players will drop off or retire
- I've probably made mistakes like forgetting someone or having someone twice or something. I'll try to edit if needed.

Tall defenders
KPD.jpg

Small/medium defenders
Defs.jpg

Mids
Mids.jpg

Rucks
Rucks.jpg

Small/medium forwards
Fwds.jpg

Tall forwards
Key fwds.jpg

Last edited:
Posted this on our board earlier today.

Approach
I tried to:
- give all our players a rating
- use an age/performance curve to forecast how player's ratings will change in the next couple of years
- feed the info into charts to show how we look in the next couple of years

No doubt no one will have the same view on ratings, or on the curve I used. But that probably isn't the point. More just to see what we need on our list in a couple of years.

Summary of what I think we need
We have 8 spare spots. Assuming that we fill 7 of them this off-season, my take from the charts is that we need:
- 1 young tall defender
- 1 young tall forward
- 1 mature-age ruck
- 1 young small/medium defender
- 3 mids

Charts

Notes:
- the dots on each players line is their age and rating in July of 2022, 2023 and 2024.
- the shaded red bit is just to try and show the likelihood that players will drop off or retire
- I've probably made mistakes like forgetting someone or having someone twice or something. I'll try to edit if needed.

Tall defenders
View attachment 1267686

Small/medium defenders
View attachment 1267691

Mids
View attachment 1267690

Rucks
View attachment 1267689

Small/medium forwards
View attachment 1267688

Tall forwards
View attachment 1267687
This is very impressive!

Bit harsh on Petruccelle I think. Very generous on Yeo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be my best 22 but what CS will probably do:

B: Bews Blicavs O'Connor
HB: Stewart Henry Kolo
C: Duncan Selwood Smith
HF: Menegola Cameron Miers
F: Close Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Ratugolea Parfitt Tuohy Atkins

Depth outside the 22:

Tall backs - De Koning
General defenders - Z.Guthrie
Mids - Holmes, Simpson, Narkle, Higgins
Tall forwards - N/A
General forwards - Dahlhaus, Stengle, Evans
Rucks - Ceglar

So that is a squad of 32 that have played games at AFL level. Would be a bonus if we got anything out of the uncapped players on the list IMO.

Wells has already said that we would target mids at the draft.

We could do with a key defender, ideally a mature age option that could step in if we had injuries back there.

Then a class ball user off half back would be nice.

Maybe a marking half forward flanker with good goal sense.

We have already got two development rucks behind Stanley and Ceglar so doubt we need another from the draft.

Ratugolea is the key forward depth and already in that team above as the second ruck so I don't really think we need a key forward either. If we had injuries you could just use Ceglar in the ruck and Stanley forward or CS has a fetish for just using Danger/Rohan as the second key forward anyway.

Wouldn't be my best 22 but what CS will probably do:

B: Bews Blicavs O'Connor
HB: Stewart Henry Kolo
C: Duncan Selwood Smith
HF: Menegola Cameron Miers
F: Close Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Ratugolea Parfitt Tuohy Atkins

Depth outside the 22:

Tall backs - De Koning
General defenders - Z.Guthrie
Mids - Holmes, Simpson, Narkle, Higgins
Tall forwards - N/A
General forwards - Dahlhaus, Stengle, Evans
Rucks - Ceglar

So that is a squad of 32 that have played games at AFL level. Would be a bonus if we got anything out of the uncapped players on the list IMO.

Wells has already said that we would target mids at the draft.

We could do with a key defender, ideally a mature age option that could step in if we had injuries back there.

Then a class ball user off half back would be nice.

Maybe a marking half forward flanker with good goal sense.

We have already got two development rucks behind Stanley and Ceglar so doubt we need another from the draft.

Ratugolea is the key forward depth and already in that team above as the second ruck so I don't really think we need a key forward either. If we had injuries you could just use Ceglar in the ruck and Stanley forward or CS has a fetish for just using Danger/Rohan as the second key forward anyway.
I have to say, Geelong depth did not impress me. You get some injuries and you're in trouble.

I have to say, Geelong depth did not impress me. You get some injuries and you're in trouble.

I actually think if you line up our best 22 the 22-28 depth players are quite good (a lot of them were injured this year which made it look worse than it was) but we lack depth in specific positions such as the ruck and key back-if blitz or our rucks go down then we are in trouble.

Great thread. Enjoyed reading some actual footy talk.

*Docherty\Plowman Young Jones
Stocker Weitering Saad
Cerra Cripps O’Brien
Williams CCurnow Fisher
JSoS McKay Martin
DeKoning Hewett Walsh
Kemp\Carroll Kennedy\Setterfield Dow\Cuningham Williamson\Newman

Young has been recruited to play KP back and allow Jones 3rd man. I like Marchbank in that role as well.
Bench I like to be more specific - wingers, inside mids rotation, midfield run and then extra defender.
I think Durdin is the one that will pushing hard for a small forward role but the 3 players I have forward are very talented and skilled, who I expect big years coming up.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Pittonet starting ruck with TDK forward line but Young’s inclusion and Kemp from the bench, should give us cover to play one ruck!

As funny as it sounds, I think we have good depth in most positions, so I would look at another developing 18 year old KP forward and a small lockdown defender in this draft.

I actually think if you line up our best 22 the 22-28 depth players are quite good (a lot of them were injured this year which made it look worse than it was) but we lack depth in specific positions such as the ruck and key back-if blitz or our rucks go down then we are in trouble.
Not really following Geelong closely but here is the depth from your post with my comments.

Tall backs - De Koning - still skinny kid, played 1 game, hardly to be confident
General defenders - Z.Guthrie - sorry, but every time I see him play I wonder why his is on the list
Mids - Holmes, Simpson, Narkle, Higgins - none of them excites me, Simpson and Narkle ok, Higgins should retire
Tall forwards - N/A - nothing with Hawkins 34 years old
General forwards - Dahlhaus, Stengle, Evans - only Stengle for me
Rucks - Ceglar - decent backup, could be actually better than Stanley

Last edited:
Not really following Geelong closely but here is the depth from your post with my comments.

Tall backs - De Koning - still skinny kid, played 1 game, hardly to be confident
General defenders - Z.Guthrie - sorry, but every time I see him play I wonder why his is on the list
Mids - Holmes, Simpson, Narkle, Higgins - none of them excites me, Simpson and Narkle ok, Higgins should retire
Tall backs look bad, I like Guthrie, tall and pretty skillful.
Mids, Holmes looks terrible like worst in the comp bad, Simpson looks ok and Narkle is my favourite, huge fan. Higgins retire.
Dahl is not good, Stengle is pretty good and talented, Evans looks okay and is young still.
Ceglar decent backup/replacement

Saints need more top end quality through the midfield and another genuine key defender.

Hopefully our first round selection is used on a mid and I'd like to see us grab a state league key defender.

Wilkie - Howard - Paton
Highmore - Battle - Sinclair
Hill - Steele - Billings
Higgins - Membrey - Gresham
Butler - King - Marshall

Ryder - Crouch - Clark

Jones, Coffield, Sharman, Ross

Emg: Bytel, Byrnes, Hannebery, McKenzie

My hopeful/best 22 for the Swans

FB: Cunningham - Rampe - Fox
HB: Lloyd - McCartin - Blakey
C: Florent - Mills - McInerney
HF: Hayward - Franklin - Heeney
FF: Papley - McDonald - Ladhams
R: Hickey - Parker - Warner

Int: Rowbottom - JPK - Gulden - Campbell/Wicks

Next In: Campbell/Wicks O'Riordan Stephens McLean Amartey Melican

List Gaps: We have a few like Gould or Barry O'Connor that we might turn into AFL level KPDs (we do like an undersized defence), but given the question marks over any of our KPDs other than T McCartin post-Rampe, this is our biggest need. The likes of JVR, Bazzo, Dean, Alleer (understand the latter 2 are more interceptors but take what we can get). We may also pick up P McCartin, but I'm not as convinced as some that he'll be an AFL level KPD (leaving aside other issues). Other than that, I think we can afford to wait another year on Amartey, McLean etc to see if McDonald and Ladhams will need further KPF support (JVR would help out depth in both ends) and an academy ruck coming next year. So probably get a couple of future mids (1 outside/wing, 1 inside in that order). Maybe a later pick or rookie that can be turned into a small defender. If we do go a small at pick 18 (rather than a KPD), hopefully Sinn or Draper have slid, but unlikely.

Last edited:
FB: Kelly, Stewart, Laverde
HF: Heppell, Ridley, Hind
C: Caldwell, Merrett, Langford
HF: Hurley, Jones, Stringer
FF: Tippa, Wright, Perkins
R: Draper, Shiel, Parish
Inter: Redman, Cox, Reid, McGrath

Balance is good, need inside mid upgrades/running defender depth. Unlikely to get the mids we need at 13 so Sinn/NWM will do. Take a small forward late in the draft, maybe arthur Jones.

FB: Kelly, Stewart, Laverde
HF: Heppell, Ridley, Hind
C: Caldwell, Merrett, Langford
HF: Hurley, Jones, Stringer
FF: Tippa, Wright, Perkins
R: Draper, Shiel, Parish
Inter: Redman, Cox, Reid, McGrath

Balance is good, need inside mid upgrades/running defender depth. Unlikely to get the mids we need at 13 so Sinn/NWM will do. Take a small forward late in the draft, maybe arthur Jones.
Snelling is definitely in the side

Depends a bit on what you consider the best 23 to be..for me from the prelim its stewart de koning oconnor parfitt in and henderson rohan/higgins atkins and either zuthrie or kolo out (coaches might do different but this is just an example).

That leaves outside the best 22 in each position:
General defence would have either atkins or kolo (who are both solid role players) and zuthrie-i get where you are coming from re zuthrie but he is actually a dependable player whenever he is needed..a role player a bit like bews hes just had less opportunities..will never be a star but hes solid.
Key defenders yes i agree we are thin..if de koning takes hendersons spot theres really nothing behind him..young nick stevens showed promise in the vfl this year but hes more a third tall/running back he would get outsized on big key forwards. Hence i said if blicavs gets injured we are in trouble.

Ruck-has been an issue for 10 years enough said...that said ceglar does help in this area..either him or stanley will need to stand up as we cant be shifting blitz into the ruck this year. I really rate neale who we drafted last year so long term i think we will do fine but hes 3-4 years away so now is the issue.

Key forward-not many clubs have 2 key forwards the quality of hawkins and cameron (maybe richmond but not many others) and ratugolea is progressing well as a key forward..i still want to see more progression from him but his marking and aggression are standouts...if we can settle him as a fwd not ruck he will do well. Dangerfield is very capable of playing permanent FF and doing well if any of the key forwards go down so this area doesnt worry me in the short term. Yes long term we will need to find a hawkins replacement and they are hard to get.

General fwds i have to disagree-if you play miers and close in the 22 they are both very promising..if stengle plays his best he will be dangerous...rohan is useless in big games but across a season hes good week to week. Him higgins and dahlhaus is all perfectly capable injury depth in the vfl. Most non geelong people wont have seen much of evans but he is very promising..i expect he will get a run of games in the afl side and do really well..he would have this year if not for injury.

Midfield-obviously our starting midfield is still very good and holmes looks like he is tracking to become a best 22 lock very soon and is what we need. I agree whats coming underneath to replace selwood as he retires is the issue-i am 50/50 on narkle as hes a super talent but he can be lazy and inconsistent..this year is make or break for him. Simpson is better than ok i actually rate him as the best of our young players besides holmes and henry hes just had a very bad injury run the last 18 months..if he can get his fitness right i expect him to take someones spot in the 22 this year. The club rates cooper stephens very highly but hes not been seen for 2 years due to injury so whether he goes the cockatoo way or becomes an A grader is important in the future shape of our midfield. Losing clark was a blow for this area but i honestly think with the pick we got for him we can draft an equally good midfielder as him.
I agree this area is the major ? Mark on the list and hence why wells said we will be trying to draft mids this year..fortunately it looks like a good midfielders draft to do this from.
Still danger selwood guthrie menegola smith duncan parfitt and holmes inside the best 22 is better than what a lot of clubs have if 2 of simpson narkle and stephens can come through and become afl standard while the mids we draft this year develop at the lower level our list transition should be ok. No doubt we will have a lot of cap space next year and we will focus on bringing in mids through free agency to help bridge the gap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back