Your feelings on the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Just wanted to get a feal on our fans feelings for the club.

I was a league fan born and raised on Balmain lore. Any other game was for NTTAWWTters or wogs or rich boys. A few years ago i started watching the game, enjoying it but not choosing a team (besides the obvious off handed hope of the Tigers, Richmond, doing well). The flooded coverage of the Swans drove me insane and made me realise how Brisbane nonbroncos fans felt.

Then we got the Giants, i decided to follow them as my team and initially thought that I would keep an eye on them and my main focus would, of course, be the Tigers in the NRL. 12 months later I have a passing interest in league and lap up every bit of information I can about the Giants, getting on BF as much as I can to discuss (and yes to learn) about this great game and what will end up being a great club. I was cheering louder for that 1st and 2nd win than I ever did for the Wests premiorship..

I now put the Giants as my fav club in any code and am praying the months pass quickly for the new season to start.

How about anyone elses love/passing interest in this soon to be great club?

Probably could of come up with a better title on the thread but, meh.
Im now buying my 1st ticketed membership and even convinced my new wife (a rugby die hard and hater of aussie rules) to buy one with me.

I too am an NRL fan. Magpies supporter (and then Wests after their merge) and doubt I'd give league up fully. Never really that interested in AFL even though I "supported" Collingwood since probably '03 (Uncle is a big Pies fan. We were at his place the weekend after the '03 GF) mostly because they were the Magpies though. Never really watched them play a whole lot and couldn't have named a player for them if you asked me. Swans winning in '05 and making the GF in '06 really didn't do it for me to get into the AFL but the introduction of the GIANTS was pretty much spot on.

With major "Greater Western Sydney" area NRL teams going stale the past few years, the dominance of both Queensland clubs (in which I include Melbourne Storm) and the state, having the GWS Giants come in just gave off a fresh feel with something new and an alternative option. So I decided to follow them, being local. Since probably the draft last year knowing they had all these high picks for the best young talent, I've got really into this footy team. I did start with not so high expectations after seeing GC in their first season, but I tried to watch as many games on 7mate as I could and I've really got into it. Now I'm getting into tradeweek and really looking forward to next year. Might consider heading to the NAB Cup at BISP if I get around to it (and depending on who we play).

Game day at Škoda Stadium is the best thing and I already miss it. Love the place, love the team. Usually I am pretty cynical about my sports teams but I have found it hard to be about this team do far. I don't mind losing as long as the players give their all - hate it when teams simply give up in games.

I played Aussie Rules in school so have casually followed AFL for a couple of decades. Being going to Swans games since the late 80s and was a Swans member 2004 - 2008 but barely went after the 2005 GF. I am more committed now than ever.

You name a sport and I'll follow someone in it to varying degrees, but AFL's been my main sport of choice for the last ten years. Being a Queenslander born and bred I'm obviously a Lions fan, and living in Brisbane for 2000 through 2003 obviously helped somewhat. It's a lot easier to get hooked when your team's dominant! :) Moved to Sydney for work and never really harboured a soft spot for the Swans, but with GWS starting up I figured I'd get behind them and have enjoyed every minute. I'm just loving that I get to go to home games, that I get to see games live on the TV, that I get to go to club events, etc. All those things you miss when you're not in the same city as your club. Brisbane's still going to be my #1, but GWS is definitely #1A.

I am gaining massive respect for the club. As a Tassie boy, I am supposed to hate you guys. You took our spot, dammit!! But at least you are proving to be worthy entrants with your on field performances. I know you received some drubbings this year, but your youth showed a lot of heart and you had some injury issues. I can see them going past the Suns possibly as soon as next year, but more likely in two to three years. But there has to be a lot of water under the bridge first.

I just really like the hardness of the GWS game, the intensity, and the mix of silky skilled players with your more engine room types. Plus, that forward line is looking extremely promising. Defense is the only concern, but if Davis and Mohr can keep improving, and you can recruit a couple of decent KPDs to back them up, no reason why that aspect of your game can't turn around in the next couple of seasons.

Finally an expansion club with a decent theme song!! Not long until Giants become a force in AFL.

Anyway, my feelings on the Giants:

As a NSW boy, I kind of already have a connection to the Giants and I have already been very proud of how you have represented the state in Aussie Rules. Ferocious, hard, honest and skilled. The way footy should be played.

Even in your first year we saw the stars of the future, and likely premiership heroes, coming through with the likes of Greene, Cameron, Treloar and with the still young Ward. The Giants will be force. Get excited Giants fans.

Your clashes against the Gold Coast in a few years will be insane with the Sun's young stars like Swallow, Bennell, O'Meara and Stanley.

The only problem, for me anyway, is crowds and seeing if the people of western Sydney try to embrace the new game and team. Hopefully when GWS are a force, the crowds will come. Because everyone loves a winner.

in 20 years GWS will be bigger than most NSW NRL teams.
AFL
Giants - 1st year getting flogged week in week out, finish last - 15k avg
Swans - Premiership year - 31k avg
NRL
Canberra - 30 year history finals footy - 10k avg
Penrith - 50 year history - 10k avg
Wests - combined 200 year history - 16k avg
Easts - 100 year history - 12k avg
StGeorge - 80 year history - 16k avg
Parramatta - 70 year history - 16k avg
Bulldogs - 80 year history finals footy - 23k avg
Manly - 70 year history, finals footy - 14k avg
Souths - 100 year history, finals footy - 18k avg
Cronulla - 50 year history, finals footy - 13k avg

Now looking at this, and its generally well known that the most NRL clubs are begging for more cash. Id say the Giants are doing pretty good with the crowds in this city.. Once we are winning more games etc we will be even bigger. At this stage we already have higher attendances and memberships than most of the NRL sides in Sydney. They just have to keep playing it smart and hopefully no 2nd year blues..

Life-long Crows fan, moved to Canberra 5 years ago. Usually got to a couple of games a year in Melbs and Adelaide, and the occassional trip to GC/Bris. When the Giants announced 10 years in Canberra, I sined up as an ACT member. Drove down to Syd for the opening derby in round 1, screamed my lungs out when we beat the Suns at Manuka, and couldn't contain my laughter when we flogged Port.

When the Giants played the Crows I wondered if my loyalty would be split, but it wasn't. Still a Crows fan first and foremost, but do enjoy being part of the Giants, and will definateley sign up for another membership in 2013.

Hated the theme song at first, but it has now grown on me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my original post was "better" but i editted it to "bigger" after you corrected me. My bad not yours lol
Haha, got you now :)

By the way I agree, if GWS play the game right in terms of getting the people of Western Sydney interested they will be huge. Western Sydney have a massive population and when GWS become a formidable team I expect GWS to pull the masses.

Tough job, but I think they can do it. They just need Israel to do his bit.

Glad there are people who have embraced the Giants and added them into a healthy sports diet. Especially glad that they seem to be having some traction despite all the people in the media who constatly bemoan why they shouldn't be or how bad they'll be.

I was raised in Far North Queensland and Brisbane before spending the 2nd half of my teenage years in Melbourne. I shifted up to Newcastle for work in my early 20s and now as I approach 30 I've been in Canberra for a few years with work. I've had a pretty healthy mix of sports in my life. My family are in the main Carlton supporters and I often found myself at Princes Park visiting family and watching Silvagni and Madden and the like. I had a far stronger connection to the Blues than I ever had to the Seagulls (who were my League team at the time). When there was a chance to support a team that actually seemed committed to Canberra I relished the opportunity to throw in my lot with them.
ANZ is an awful ground, but being at the Giants first game ranks among my top footy highlights.

I'll always be a Blues man but I'm more than happy to go along and cheer for a team full of talent like the Giants are, and promise to be.

Interesting how everyone is ranting about how big the A league west sydney wanderes could be, and potentially be a huge team, despite the fact the giants have better crowds and better memberships, however the giants are mostly talked about in a negative tone (so far)

Interesting how everyone is ranting about how big the A league west sydney wanderes could be, and potentially be a huge team, despite the fact the giants have better crowds and better memberships, however the giants are mostly talked about in a negative tone (so far)

Yep and western sydney is the heartland of soccer (In saying that i do follow Sydney in the A-League) yet is behind the Giants....

Yep and western sydney is the heartland of soccer (In saying that i do follow Sydney in the A-League) yet is behind the Giants....

pretty interesting, just goes to show how well the giants have done so far. No doubt in my mind in 10-20 years the giants will be still bigger than the wanderes

I 'went for' North when I was a young fella (<18 yo). I moved to QLD when in 2000, and got on the Lions bandwagon. It was hard not to considering their success. I still love the Lions, and usually watch North when I can too.

However, we moved to NSW a few years ago, and was depressed at the lack of love for Aussie Rules. The AFL then wanted to build a new team in NSW, and yeah... thought it was a good idea to support it. I had reservations around the choice of coach though, as Sheeds always seemed like a crazy, rambling tosspot to me that spent an unhealthy amount of time thinking about James Hird.

Despite that, I signed the family up as foundation members, as well as members this year. I'm pretty confident we'll sign up again next year too. We live about 4 hours from Sydney though, so it'll just be the three game membership again.

Sheeds seems to be doing a good job (although how much of that was Choko?). The Giants seem to be building a decent brand. We were at the game vs Port and really enjoyed the win. We also saw the Tigers game (which was fairly close) as well as the game vs North in round 23 (honestly thought the giants would be flogged). So far I like what I see.

pretty interesting, just goes to show how well the giants have done so far. No doubt in my mind in 10-20 years the giants will be still bigger than the wanderes
Don't want to turn this into a code war but I was at the Roar v WSW game last night and both games GWS played in QLD this year (v us and GC).

At the Lions v GWS game there were about 50-75 GWS fans.
At the GC v GWS game there were about 75-100 GWS fans.
At the Roar v WSW game last night there were about 15 WSW fans, and that is a generous guess.

I'm a Canberra AFL fan with a long, fading association with another AFL club.

The Giants came at the right time for me, I like the idea of the long term association with Canberra, I like the idea of 3 guaranteed games in Canberra for at least 10 years, and really, so far, I've loved the way the Giants have gone about it. I'm really excited about the kids on the list and the fact that they are about to add even more quality kids to the list.

One day, I might even summon the courage to go and see a game at the Showgrounds.

And getting Kurt wouldn't go astray.

As an expat From Adelaide who used to go to the footy (SANFL) every weekend, following the Giants allows me to stay involved in the game I love.
More than that though, Skoda Stadium is awesome, the club really looks after its members and the supporters are great.
Having the best young list in the league and a bright future is also exciting.

I am from Western Sydney (Bankstown) and as a kid I followed NRL, NFL and football/soccer. I actually never watched an AFL game until I moved to Melbourne in early 2010 and chose Collingwood as my team and went to games with my new friends, of course when I told them I was from Western Sydney they told me that there would be a new Western Sydney team coming into the AFL in 2012 so I thought it was a no brainer that I would switch at the end of the 2011 season. I went to every GWS game in Melbourne and Geelong this year and despite the on-field results, I am loving having a local team to support from the start. I just moved back to Western Sydney and even though I still follow the sports I mentioned I have a brand new sport to love and made new friends during my time in Melbourne and I just got a membership and am looking forward to going to Skoda.

Go Giants, Go (Canterbury) Bulldogs, Go Western Sydney Wanderers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back