Your feelings on the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I can forgive the the poundpuppies and wonderwonders, but shocker haha. Got Tigers and FC (though yes both shite at he moment)

Member numbers still growing. Now to be competitive and sell the place out.
I still wish we didn't copy the tiger's colours.

Having said that regardless of the colours I was always going to support GWS as I am from here

Think I said this on another thread but I would've went with royal blue and black. Unique colours and all WS NRL teams have blue or black as their colour.

True, but Port are those colours now. But yeah no matter the colours (if they were any other as well) its my club in my home town so was never going to be a factor.

Just wanted to get a feal on our fans feelings for the club.

I was a league fan born and raised on Balmain lore. Any other game was for NTTAWWTters or wogs or rich boys. A few years ago i started watching the game, enjoying it but not choosing a team (besides the obvious off handed hope of the Tigers, Richmond, doing well). The flooded coverage of the Swans drove me insane and made me realise how Brisbane nonbroncos fans felt.

Then we got the Giants, i decided to follow them as my team and initially thought that I would keep an eye on them and my main focus would, of course, be the Tigers in the NRL. 12 months later I have a passing interest in league and lap up every bit of information I can about the Giants, getting on BF as much as I can to discuss (and yes to learn) about this great game and what will end up being a great club. I was cheering louder for that 1st and 2nd win than I ever did for the Wests premiorship..

I now put the Giants as my fav club in any code and am praying the months pass quickly for the new season to start.

How about anyone elses love/passing interest in this soon to be great club?

Probably could of come up with a better title on the thread but, meh.
Im now buying my 1st ticketed membership and even convinced my new wife (a rugby die hard and hater of aussie rules) to buy one with me.

I think the club is going great and it's a great move by the AFL creating the club. I have an AFL club (West Sydney) and NRL and A-League clubs. There is room to have a club in all three codes! Go Giants!

Agree absolutely. I also follow Sydney fc in the A-league. I love the way that both the AFL and the FFA have handled the west by saying theres room for all and trying to act in the best interests of the West (Moving the gws game when the aleague allstars is on etc). The NRL on the other hand with all their war talk is an absolute joke and shows how far the admin needs to come to get up to the AFL and A-League level. (remember Gallop when NRL cheif never said anything about a war and was always saying theres room for all).

I think the club is going great and it's a great move by the AFL creating the club. I have an AFL club (West Sydney) and NRL and A-League clubs. There is room to have a club in all three codes! Go Giants!

Absolutely - even four codes! I've been ecumenical in my footy worship since the 1990s; which surprises some NRL purists no end. To keep the tradition alive, my 5 year old has finally determined his NRL team and received both Giants and Panthers merchandise for Christmas.

) The NRL on the other hand with all their war talk is an absolute joke and shows how far the admin needs to come to get up to the AFL and A-League level.

I laughed when the Tele sportswriters in their year in review said one of the major fizzes for 2012 was the "phony war" for the West between the NRL and AFL and that the Wanderers were actually the major threat. Considering that the whole "war" theme has been adopted only by Sydney based sportswriters and NRL boosters (and it's no coincidence that the sportswriters who write about NRL are usually the ones talking about the "battle for the west") I was not surprised. An AFL team in Western Sydney is a long term project, that will really start to bear fruit when the team starts being competitive. When that starts to happen, then there will be a strong core base and bandwagon jumpers. And when they win their first Premiership, I'm sure that the Tele will have joined the Orange Army in Grand Final week too.

Living in Canberra, I am in the GWS academy for my age group (dont bother asking how old), and with that I got a free membership so I guess you are confirmed as my second favourite team. Watched them most weeks this year and boy are you going to be good. The thing is despite the s**t they give him Scully had a good year in a struggling side and was underestimated. Him along with Ward, Greene, Coniglio, Shiel, Tyson, Palmer and more in the middle will be unstoppable. Cameron and Patton will be a champion combo as well. Hopefully (unrealistic) I will be playing with these fellas in the future :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in Canberra, I am in the GWS academy for my age group (dont bother asking how old), and with that I got a free membership so I guess you are confirmed as my second favourite team. Watched them most weeks this year and boy are you going to be good. The thing is despite the s**t they give him Scully had a good year in a struggling side and was underestimated. Him along with Ward, Greene, Coniglio, Shiel, Tyson, Palmer and more in the middle will be unstoppable. Cameron and Patton will be a champion combo as well. Hopefully (unrealistic) I will be playing with these fellas in the future :thumbsu:

Good luck mate.

As an Eagles supporter but more than that, a great lover of our sport, I want to say I'm really glad the Suns and Ginats have joined us and I want to wish them both huge success in the coming years. I reckon the Giants did a fantastic job with their jumpers and their song, I really like them. I also love the way so many people got all shirty and dirty about the concessions and draft picks etc haha..good on you for rattling the old apple cart a bit! Good Luck in 2013, I don't think it will be too many years before people are scared of you :)

As a lifelong Swans supporter, I think it's absolutely fantastic to see so many new supporters to our great game posting on here. This is actually my first look at the GWS forum, and it's great to see it so active.
I'm delighted to see the Giants in Sydney because it will be good for the code in the long run. There is so much to look forward to, and I wish the Giants every success (except against us of course!).
And while I will always say AFL is unrivalled and unchallenged as the best game of all, I also follow and take a close interest in most other sports as well (Sydney Roosters, Sydney FC, NSW Waratahs, Sydney Kings, NSW Blues (cricket and league), NSW Swifts, even the god awful Sydney Thunder. I'd even probably follow the Sydney Blue Sox closer if they got better media attention!

Yeh, good luck mate, always great to hear about Canberra players making a fist of it. Keep us posted on how you're going!

I'm delighted to see the Giants in Sydney because it will be good for the code in the long run. There is so much to look forward to, and I wish the Giants every success (except against us of course!).!

A noticed a lot of people at Skoda last year wearing Swans members caps. I don't know if there's a big dual membership, but one thing the AFL has done has ensured there's a game in Sydney most weekends. That's got to be good for the game in the long term

A noticed a lot of people at Skoda last year wearing Swans members caps. I don't know if there's a big dual membership, but one thing the AFL has done has ensured there's a game in Sydney most weekends. That's got to be good for the game in the long term

A game each weekend in Sydney and SE Qld was a key driver of the two new teams, cannot be understated.

A game each weekend in Sydney and SE Qld was a key driver of the two new teams, cannot be understated.
True. Even bigger is the massive increase in the TV rights package... which was due to the large increase in viewers in new markets. Thus, the AFL must ensure that these teams succeed.... as they are effectively the reason why the game is making more money.

True. Even bigger is the massive increase in the TV rights package... which was due to the large increase in viewers in new markets. Thus, the AFL must ensure that these teams succeed.... as they are effectively the reason why the game is making more money.

And heres the catch. To listen to the papers, a "succesfull" team in Sydney must be a winner. Totally disagree (while I do think it helps), a team just needs to capture the publics attention (Balmain were awlays last or near the bottom and were still drawing great crowds, yet, and as much as I love em Sydney FC in the soccer struggles.). ALso allot has to do with the media and how the present the club overall. The Mighty Giants seem to be beeting this by spending allot of dow in the school system etc so it doesnt matter what the Daily Rugby League says they still love the Giants. Sydney FC didnt and doesnt have that kind of dow.

Love the "Giants" name
Hated the term "GWS" at first but now love it.
I'm okay with Skoda as our home ground as my NRL team plays home games at ANZ stadium anyway (Bulldogs)
Not a fan of our colours, I know it's unique in AFL but it copies the West Tigers too much
Definitely hate playing home games in Canberra. All home games should be either at Skoda or BISP when the ground is unavailable for the easter show (would prefer all home games at BISP though for selfish reasons).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back