Cups WR​

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Royal QLD? Cool!!! I got reciprocals there, must use it.

Played in the worst conditions known to man today at The National. Old course. Started in the rain, finished in the drenching rain. Saw sheets of rain plus wind cause what looked like a mini wave across the fairway. Hail a few times. Yes hail.

Putted well, home course, a stark difference to Peninsula-Kingswood.

I played ok, despite 12 points to the 8th. We called it a day then.

Fav shot was 118m par 3 7th. onshore gale meaning i had to aim towards new zealand or somewhere that way, left to right. wind brought it back nicely to 15m from the pin. 2 putt par.
You're an absolute lunatic playing in those conditions today :eek:

Boy got a well deserved humbling yesterday. 46 to finish dead last.

His behavior was barely better than Phil's.

Better in that he didn't hit a moving ball, although I am certain he thought about it.

Words like mad, mental and now lunatic were hurled at me in the past 24 hours. And I agree with each of them!

Character building

You are ready for golf in Cleveland mate.

Penninsula-Kingswood south course. I have now figured out that the front nine is always s**t, and the back nine not much better.

Pretty much on every par 3 i missed 30cm putts. It shitted me.

Highlight was doing a hitler (2 in the bunker). First hit the lip, hard and thinned. Second spun it out with aplomb, a downhill run ball spinning spinning spinning right, right into the hole.

Little AC with a key weekend in the race for an early 2019 World Championship bid. Back to back events and with good results, a chance to separate himself a bit ahead of a 2 week break.

Rain forecasted through the weekend so will need to be a mudder on an off track I think

Fell behind early but took command by 7th hole. 7th was par 4, 298 and he hit a really nice drive but got a bit unlucky in the it didn't go all the way down hill to flat spot in fairway before wide river. Had a kind of severe downslope lie and needed to carry river (65 yards) to an elevated green that was 95 yards away.

Told him to just get ball over water given his lie, and he gave it game effort--but damn ball didn't quite get high enough and landed just over reeds on opposite bank.

Yup, it was buried in thick crap and given our discussions earlier this week--unplayable. The irony was not lost on me.

Another one today--chance to take a commanding lead in race for 2019 ticket.

Clean sweep for the weekend. Played well and seems to have adjusted to the new distances.

Got a break when the boy second overall finished 3rd today. Goes to the two week break with 40 point overall lead.

Best shot was a drive on 4th hole that much like 18 at Sawgrass has water length of left side. Can play safe and stay well right making it a very tough par 4, or go out over water and catch bend to left.

I was advocate of playing it safe as he sat 1 over after 3. Instead, he launched one that did clear water at the bend and ended up 95 yards to pin. Drive was 210. Put next shot 10 feet from pin on elevated green and nearly made the bird. Tap in par.

This is why I am best used merely handing clubs to the boy and standing with the bag. ;)

Back at home (The National GC). Ocean course today as the course enters its final days before Doak redoes it.

Probably the windiest conditions Ive played in, other than the hail, rain and win a few weeks ago.

Familiar settings and home comforts after poor rounds at Peninsula. Drove extremely well and putted satisfactorily also. Flushing hybrids, all of which were needed. Why? On par 4s we had to go driver, hybrid or a 3W into the green because of the wind. Struggled with short irons/wedges. Fluffed my lines many times within 60m. Half/quarter/full swing? Wind playde with my mind on these.

Had fun, back there tomorrow for stroke round on the Old. Help me.

Been secretly playing to get ready for Father/Son event...I think I can give us a shot on the holes I must drive on. I have really been working on that. On the other hand, my iron play has not been good at all. The boy will have to pick us up there. As for my putting, welllllll I will make one or two he doesn't expect but that's about it. ;)

wasupwidat

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lakers
Another round today and beat last week by 1. Thought I putted poorly, but looking at the numbers it was much better than last week. Par 3's are letting me down off the tee, so need to switch back to higher tees. Getting 2 pars on the first par 5 really saved my score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stroke on the old wasnt as painful as I thought. Good form continued with the driver, for most part. Putting abysmal today. Sure it was windy, raining at times, and sunny too! But gotta sort out putting before its too late.

Like yesterday driver-hybrids all day into the wind.

Highlight, a few pars
Lowlight, 5 off the stick (2 lost balls) on the 18th into the wind.

wasupwidat

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lakers
Just the 9 holes today as I'm off to the footy. Got stuck about 1 shot back behind a group of 3 that wouldn't let me through so ended up waiting up to 5 minutes in between shots. Petty forgettable round really. On annual leave so will be using the next few days to get as much in as I can before I go off on holiday.

Just the 9 holes today as I'm off to the footy. Got stuck about 1 shot back behind a group of 3 that wouldn't let me through so ended up waiting up to 5 minutes in between shots. Petty forgettable round really. On annual leave so will be using the next few days to get as much in as I can before I go off on holiday.

That's poor form.

They should've let you through, or let you join them.

Actually, was there a group of 4 in front of them?

National Ocean course today. We said goodbye to the Petey Thomson/Wolverdige/Perret course as the bulldozers hit the place tomorrow.

Memories, many of them as I played the course upon becoming an official handicapped player. The open fairways and lack of trees lent itself to a high handicapper. But now i see why people hated it. false fronts and fairway pot bunkers in landing zones. Coupled that with wind and it's not an easy course.

Anyway, played ok, putting better although the driver decided to s**t the bed. Oh well, cant have them all

wasupwidat

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lakers
That's poor form.

They should've let you through, or let you join them.

Actually, was there a group of 4 in front of them?
Didn't see that far ahead of them, but don't think there was anyone for at least the next hole. Was pretty frustrating, but at least it should be quieter during the week.

Didn't see that far ahead of them, but don't think there was anyone for at least the next hole. Was pretty frustrating, but at least it should be quieter during the week.

At the end of the day it depends on so many factors. For example on Saturday my mate and I were a two ball. Group of 4 behind us gathered momentum so we let them through. Doesnt make sense in the true sense of the word but there was no one in front of us for miles given the morning groups went in sodden and shaken

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
At the end of the day it depends on so many factors. For example on Saturday my mate and I were a two ball. Group of 4 behind us gathered momentum so we let them through. Doesnt make sense in the true sense of the word but there was no one in front of us for miles given the morning groups went in sodden and shaken
Depending on the time of the year but there can anywhere from 228 to 276 starters. In most cases it is pointless letting anyone through because they’ll be waiting on the next group!

Let him play a Northern Ohio PGA Junior tourney to knock some rust off ahead of Saturday's US Kids event. 11 kids were in his age group.

Was grinding out a decent round given extreme heat conditions until par 3 eighth. Took a double after hitting into bunker, hitting it thin and nearly into water and 2 putts

He asked me if I thought a par was good enough on 9. I said "maybe for a tie".

Kid says okay. Hits decent drive that left him just in right rough but good lie. Asks if he holes out did I think that would be enough--I said yep, that should do it.

Hits 7 iron to 3 feet. Makes the birdie, and as it turns out par would have meant 3 way tie.

Loved how he put 8 behind him more than the win. :)

Let him play a Northern Ohio PGA Junior tourney to knock some rust off ahead of Saturday's US Kids event. 11 kids were in his age group.

Was grinding out a decent round given extreme heat conditions until par 3 eighth. Took a double after hitting into bunker, hitting it thin and nearly into water and 2 putts

He asked me if I thought a par was good enough on 9. I said "maybe for a tie".

Kid says okay. Hits decent drive that left him just in right rough but good lie. Asks if he holes out did I think that would be enough--I said yep, that should do it.

Hits 7 iron to 3 feet. Makes the birdie, and as it turns out par would have meant 3 way tie.

Loved how he put 8 behind him more than the win. :)

With the loss of lebron, cleveland, ohio, needs a new hero

Remove this Banner Ad

Back