Remove this Banner Ad

FB - Thompson - Grima - Mcmahon
HB - Firitto - Hansen - Harding
C - Urquhart - Ziebell - Anthony
HF - Warren - Petrie - Harvey
FF -Campbell - Tarrant - Black
FOLL -McIntosh - Swallow - Wells
INT - Bastinac - Daw - Greenwood - Cunnington

In saying that with all these youngsters coming through like you mentioned with guys like bastinac, cunnington, black, tarrant, white, wright, ziebell, garlett, goldy, kennedy, Daw etc etc I wouldn't be surprised if blokes like Jones, Edwards, Josh Smith, Firrito, Pratt, Hale, Lower and Obst are all played early in the season. Brad will give them a chance no doubt and if they don't perform they will be dropped and probably won't get in and most of them could be delisted at the end of the year. Sounds harsh, but Brad wont mess around. He will be fair, but won't hesitate to chop em if don't perform straight away. He's already said he wont tolerate under performance.

OK lets go through those that you mentioned:-

Jones:- last season he would have to kick 50+ to get an extension on his contract.
Edwards:-Undisaplined, some may argue he was the major culprit to our bad start of the year.
Josh Smith:- hasn't been given a go/big fella's take time.
Firrito:- I'm amazed he's is mentioned as a possible axed candidate.
Pratt:- bad year 2009, chickengate didn't help his cause settle back into being a top backman again with gibbo going.
Hale:- watch this space........jesus only knows seriously
Lower:- make or break year, he knows it so do we...
Obst:- I like the looks of him he has only just started,capable of showing us all what he can do consistantly, who knows what could have happened if he hadn't punctured his lung. In 2008 reading mosts comments on Thommo back then he was much maligned and rightly so, but he has cemented his spot after last years efforts Obst was another person that could have taken Thommo's spot.

Scotty's man management at the club obviously will be under the magnifying glass both from us as supporters/members and by the media. Everyone on our list will start with a clean slate and as he has stated he'll pick the best team available so players like the Corey Jones may have a real chance to regain/cement his spot in our best 22. I just got my Champion data book in the mail and gee there is some tragic numbers from our forward line last year. thats where the 2010 season will be concentrated on and delivery into it from our mids this year

Thomo was injured in 2007.

Thomas played 12 games that year and Campbell played 13.

Our leading goal kicker that year was Corey Jones who is not a crumber.

Our 2 highest goal kickers in 2008 were Hale and Jones, neither were crumbers and Thompson was the main focus in the first half of the year with Hale being the go to guy in the second half.

Why do you avoid the facts so much?

No one can argue with that.

RN1 has a couple of good points - particularly the second paragraph on the defense and the need for a Spud/Pratt type, pity the obssession with Thomas and Rawlings makes most of his s**t not worth reading.

No one can argue with that.

RN1 has a couple of good points - particularly the second paragraph on the defense and the need for a Spud/Pratt type, pity the obssession with Thomas and Rawlings makes most of his s**t not worth reading.
Show us another side that has used a Boomer sized player at CHF. Darwin never looks at the big picture and drivels detail even when he himself knows it's mostly bullshit.
Is a waste of time debating an issue with someone so anal and lacking in all wit, vision and sense that only argues about Thomas because it was mentioned he was on auto select and it lead to a shocking year. But yeah Zebra we can't all have the same opinions, just a fact of life.

Show us another side that has used a Boomer sized player at CHF. Darwin never looks at the big picture and drivels detail even when he himself knows it's mostly bullshit.
Is a waste of time debating an issue with someone so anal and lacking in all wit, vision and sense that only argues about Thomas because it was mentioned he was on auto select and it lead to a shocking year. But yeah Zebra we can't all have the same opinions, just a fact of life.

If The Zebs was a few inches taller, I reckon he'd be a far better poster.

Time for you and DR to do this forum a favour and put each other on ignore.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Daniel Pratt here. He was nominated for the All-Australian team in 2008, played just 14 games in a turbulent 2009 season and all of a sudden he is out of the best 22 altogether. He deserves another chance in my opinion.

People with Hale in the team are dreaming IMO. A whole season of rubbish is more likely to be his true form rather than an aberration.

Hale is a ruckman who can go forward at best. Ideal 2nd stringer for Hamish. Edwards is by far the most tantalising prospect at FF. I can't understand why he isn't played there consistantly. Everyone agrees his hands are solid and marks inside the 50 are gold. Seems a no brainer to me.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Daniel Pratt here. He was nominated for the All-Australian team in 2008, played just 14 games in a turbulent 2009 season and all of a sudden he is out of the best 22 altogether. He deserves another chance in my opinion.

:thumbsu:

I think the reason is that it is hard to fit everyone into the back line this year, and given form last year, Pratt is just a little further back in the queue, which kind of squeezes him out of the side. In my post earlier, I wrote about the idea of Pratt at HFF, which is kind of crazy, but I did this because I rate the Pratt, but wasn't able in the end to fit him in.

As far as the back six is concerned, I think the talls in Grima, Hansen and Thompson can probably be assumed. I will personally be shocked if Firrito doesn't get to work off a HBF. He's so much better in that role, and will be better than last year in his preferred role. Say 4 positions are taken, and now we get to the smaller guys. I think the three first in line for these spots would be Rawlings, McMahon and Pratt. I'm not too sure about using Rawlings as a shut down on a small, but it seems like the club is going to go with it. McMahon really made the pocket small role his own last year. Not as hard or with quite the range by foot of Pratt, but super calm under pressure, good options and consistent kick. McMahon is ahead on recent history and so has the jump. Anyway, that is my reasoning of how Pratt missed out.

That discussion ignores the possibility of a more attacking HBF to cloud the picture. Wright is training with the backs, god knows where he is going to fit in here. I think Harding's best possie for the team is midfield, but a lot of folks like him off the HBF.

I reckon the main ways Pratt comes in is if Rawlings misses out, or if the side we play has less talls/more smalls, and one of Grima or Hansen comes out of the back six for someone like Pratt to match up on a small... I guess the other thing that could happen, heaven forbid, is if McMahon gets pushed forward to a HFF or something. The curse of being a versatile player.

As this side develops, there are going to be better and better players who miss out. Makes me think of Gibbo and the one thing you can say about him, he could see what was coming.

Great post shiraz. I can't add much to that other than to say that Pratty isn't out of my calculations. As I've said since paintball, he knows he had a crap year and he has a steely resolve to make amends in 2010. The guy is not only seen as one of the leaders around the club nowadays, but he acts as one too.

I've never seen him fitter.

As for the solutions to him finding a spot in the team.......I like the McMahon going forward idea. I liked him there before he moved back, and have been very impressed with him playing down back. I think he's talented enough to be a dangerous forward, now armed with valuable experience gained in the back half. It's certainly one possibility anyway.

B: Brady Rawlings Scott Thompson Lachlan Hansen

HB: Gavin Urquhart Nathan Grima Daniel Wells

C: Liam Anthony Andrew Swallow Brent Harvey

HF: Leigh Harding Josh Smith Scott McMahon

F: Ben Warren Drew Petrie Matt Campbell

R: Hamish McIntosh Jack Ziebell Levi Greenwood

I: Lindsay Thomas David Hale Sam Wright Michael Firrito

E: Cruize Garlett Daniel Pratt Todd Goldstein

Was just tinkering with the side a little so if it's not a very good side don't take to much notice!

Great post shiraz. I can't add much to that other than to say that Pratty isn't out of my calculations. As I've said since paintball, he knows he had a crap year and he has a steely resolve to make amends in 2010. The guy is not only seen as one of the leaders around the club nowadays, but he acts as one too.

I've never seen him fitter.

As for the solutions to him finding a spot in the team.......I like the McMahon going forward idea. I liked him there before he moved back, and have been very impressed with him playing down back. I think he's talented enough to be a dangerous forward, now armed with valuable experience gained in the back half. It's certainly one possibility anyway.

Im with you TT.Love the idea of McMahon going fwd.Hes a very ,very smart footballer.Great kick and 40+ goals out of him up up front isnt out of the question
The Pratt of 2008 form would be one of the first picked IMO.He was excellent that year.Lets not be too quick to throw away his experience & toughness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not my side, but how I think Bon will line them up.

Thompson Grima Rawlings
McMahon Hansen Pratt
Urquart Ziebell Anthony
Wright Petrie Warren
Thomas Hale Harvey

McIntosh Swallow Wells

Goldstein Harding Firrito Greenwood

I can't add much to that other than to say that Pratty isn't out of my calculations[...] I like the McMahon going forward idea.

Anyone else getting a bit of deja vu here? Scotty's been moved around a bit, and finally found a place where everyone seems to agree he did really well. I guess the irony is that I used to think he'd make it at HFF if was going to make it anywhere, and was against playing him back. In the end, I agree with one of the other posters who said that the success of the defensive 6 is as much about the synergy as the individual brilliance of players. Last year, we found one of those synergies, I'm hesitant to just dump it.

In the end, if McMahon went forward and had a similar impact to how he has gone down back, and Pratt rediscovers his old form, of course I'd be all for it. The risk is that it doesn't go down like that. The risk is that when McMahon goes forward, he cant get as much ball as we'd like and he loses a bit of confidence, and that Pratt, coming back in, isn't able to flick a switch and get things going right away (Harris, Jones, anyone?).

At the crux of this issue for me is whether a player who is doing well in a position should be forced to make way for a player returning from an injury/form layoff. It's sending pretty poor signals to the established guy getting shuffled around. If it was going to happen, then it seems like the best way to do it would be play Pratt in the VFL, let him prove the form is back, and explain to Scotty before this happens that if Pratt shows he is in form, he is going to be used in an attacking role. It should give Scotty the best chance to start the year in good confidence n the role he has been successful in before moving forward, and I think asking a returning player to prove they have the form is good practice, for them and the team.

That being said, there are bigger discontinuities for everyone this year than a change in position. New facilities, new coach. If Bon has told everyone they start from scratch, then I guess last year is ancient history... Training form probably matters more to a new coach, so how he sees that could easily override all the other concerns i guess. Looking forward is very exciting.

Heard a strong rumour Winston Abraham will be back at the club thus year as a part time forward coach and mentor for the indigenous players. Also Nigel Lappin is rumoured to take an assistant's role next season

By looking it seems Urquart is set for midfield time

Is he a lock for best 22, elite foot skills and pace. Can really open games up, surely the roos would want the footy in his or macmahons hans all the time.

If i was to select a best 22 i would have urquart on the wing or HBF as a certainty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back