Prediction Best Lineup for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’m sure well trial CCJ at CHF at times but he is very slow and a liability once the ball hits the deck, he has been a flop… I hope he proves me wrong.
CCJ will get plenty of games as the CHF that pinch hits ruck when xerri needs a break

His only real competition is Finnbar Maley who apparently has impressed at training but CCJ would start first unless Finnbar dominates the preseason games

Yeah I’m sure well trial CCJ at CHF at times but he is very slow and a liability once the ball hits the deck, he has been a flop… I hope he proves me wrong.
That's ideally where we'd use our fleet of medium forwards. To pursue the ball once it spills from the contest and actually apply pressure instead of their current habit of rolling out the red carpet for the opposition's designated rebounder. PC improved his tackle numbers in the second half of last year and we know Zurhaar can do it. Stephenson... * knows. George and Duursma are both explosive so there's hope there for some pressure.

Agree CCJ's a difficult prospect to have hope in, and it's obvious the game is evolving away from his type. I'm saying this really for structural reasons. There's the ruck chop out thing and there's also the fact that Larkey's going to get mauled this year after kicking 70 last year. If we want any hope of winning once every three weeks, CCJ's going to have to do the limited range things he can do, to a very high degree

That's ideally where we'd use our fleet of medium forwards. To pursue the ball once it spills from the contest and actually apply pressure instead of their current habit of rolling out the red carpet for the opposition's designated rebounder. PC improved his tackle numbers in the second half of last year and we know Zurhaar can do it. Stephenson... * knows. George and Duursma are both explosive so there's hope there for some pressure.

Agree CCJ's a difficult prospect to have hope in, and it's obvious the game is evolving away from his type. I'm saying this really for structural reasons. There's the ruck chop out thing and there's also the fact that Larkey's going to get mauled this year after kicking 70 last year. If we want any hope of winning once every three weeks, CCJ's going to have to do the limited range things he can do, to a very high degree
I’m actually slowly getting excited about our medium sized forwards. Duursma, Curtis, Zurhaar, potentially Sheezel soon. I would love a quick small agile crumbing and pressure forward to make it (EG Hansen Jnr), think we still lack a bit in the pressure department once it hits the ground. I don’t think CCJ is the answer for CHF but for now he may have to do. Hopefully we use a high draft pick on the best KPF next year (or KPD).

I’d actually prefer Hugh Greenwood as a CHF and back up ruck over CCJ. Other than being tall, CCJ offers bugger all and is a liability when the ball hits the deck. His ruck craft is below avg too.

I'd be surprised if Greenwood wasn't penciled in for the round one relief ruck role. CCJ is starting from way behind with his concussion issues, and it does sound like Greenwood has been preparing for the role.

The biggest question I have left is who comes out on top of the K. Dawson, Comben, Nyuon and Pink battle. Any combination of those four playing round one wouldn't surprise me.

I have Sheezel on the bench just due to not knowing how they'll line him up. Tucker gets my final spot, but there's a long list of names I'd be comfortable with in his place.

I'm also hoping Thomas, Corr, and Ford are all fit for round one.

FB: McDonald, Pink, Nyuon
HB: McKercher, Corr, Fisher
C: Scott, Wardlaw, Stephens
HF: Thomas, Zurhaar, Ford
FF: Curtis, Larkey, Stephenson
R: Xerri, LDU, Simpkin
INT: Phillips, Sheezel, Greenwood, Tucker

I’m actually slowly getting excited about our medium sized forwards. Duursma, Curtis, Zurhaar, potentially Sheezel soon. I would love a quick small agile crumbing and pressure forward to make it (EG Hansen Jnr), think we still lack a bit in the pressure department once it hits the ground. I don’t think CCJ is the answer for CHF but for now he may have to do. Hopefully we use a high draft pick on the best KPF next year (or KPD).
Remember also that you may be right with your assessment of Zurhaar playing as an undersized CHF. Or Greenwood, as a couple have said above. We don't know where the coaches are at with that decision. Have to see how it plays out

Remember also that you may be right with your assessment of Zurhaar playing as an undersized CHF. Or Greenwood, as a couple have said above. We don't know where the coaches are at with that decision. Have to see how it plays out
I would prefer Zurhaar at CHF than CCJ. Can keep the CHB accountable and beat them on the run, also pressures when they have the ball.

I would prefer Zurhaar at CHF than CCJ. Can keep the CHB accountable and beat them on the run, also pressures when they have the ball.
Rather zurhaar get an easier opponent as the mobile half forward/third tall

Plus rather get games into CCJ who will be here at least 2 years than a greenwood in his likely last year pinch hitting ruck as an undersized player

Maley will get chances too but let’s see CCJ play the role first for a few weeks continuously

Rather zurhaar get an easier opponent as the mobile half forward/third tall

Plus rather get games into CCJ who will be here at least 2 years than a greenwood pinch hitting ruck as an undersized player

Maley will get chances too but let’s see CCJ play the role first for a few weeks continuously
Yeah but when CCJ/Maley types play CHF they get dominated by the CHB for intercepts. That is why I prefer Zurhaar more accountable and damaging meaning they need to defend harder.

Yeah but when CCJ/Maley types play CHF they get dominated by the CHB for intercepts. That is why I prefer Zurhaar more accountable and damaging meaning they need to defend harder.
We haven’t seen Maley yet
CCJ I don’t recall being dominated by any CHB, he provides a contest and a taller target around the ground

Allows zurhaar a potential mismatch and gives xerri a chop out

We haven’t seen Maley yet
CCJ I don’t recall being dominated by any CHB, he provides a contest and a taller target around the ground

Allows zurhaar a potential mismatch and gives xerri a chop out
Agree to disagree. But hope CCJ proves me wrong. We do probably need him in for Xerri relief either way.

I'd be surprised if Greenwood wasn't penciled in for the round one relief ruck role. CCJ is starting from way behind with his concussion issues, and it does sound like Greenwood has been preparing for the role.

The biggest question I have left is who comes out on top of the K. Dawson, Comben, Nyuon and Pink battle. Any combination of those four playing round one wouldn't surprise me.

I have Sheezel on the bench just due to not knowing how they'll line him up. Tucker gets my final spot, but there's a long list of names I'd be comfortable with in his place.

I'm also hoping Thomas, Corr, and Ford are all fit for round one.

FB: McDonald, Pink, Nyuon
HB: McKercher, Corr, Fisher
C: Scott, Wardlaw, Stephens
HF: Thomas, Zurhaar, Ford
FF: Curtis, Larkey, Stephenson
R: Xerri, LDU, Simpkin
INT: Phillips, Sheezel, Greenwood, Tucker
good side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the idea of greenwood forward. Last season last few games when he played forward he added well to our structure. Would prefer his mobility over concrete shoes ccj

Greenwood is earmarked to play forward and ai agree, he adds something to the team.

He loves a tackle, can pinch hit in the ruck and can take a good mark. I actually have him at HF in my preferred team for round 1.

Corr Pink Bergman
Sheezel Comben McKercher
Stephens Thomas Scott
Sympkin CCJ Zurhaar
Curtis Larkey Ford

Xerri LDU Wardlaw

Duursma Powell Phillips Greenwood
McDonald Shiels on an extended bench

Logue out only due to injury

Ok then. If he's going well enough to even be considered in our best 22, I'll eat my hat!
I think we need to start talking about which hat, what composites, and so forth.

I don’t want one of those “Werner Herzog eats his Shoe” situations where he took the bet, lost, and then only ate the upper and refused the sole.

The absolute best we can line up at some stage, with all current injured players available:

FB: Bergman Corr McDonald
HB: Sheezel Logue Goater
C: Scott LDU McKercher
HF: Zurhaar ????? Curtis
FF: Duursma Larkey RHJ
R: Xerri Simpkin Wardlaw

Int: Thomas, Stephens, Powell, Stephenson

Sub: Tucker

The ???? is either CCJ or Comben (who’s starting off down back due to Logue being out). Would rather Comben.

Phillips starts in the VFL along with Ford due to Duursma and McKercher coming into the club.

Bolded are what I see as positions open to change with form to dictate who plays (obviously very thin in the ruck but I simply don’t rate Xerri.)

Pink, Biggie alternative KPD’s who I see as depth only with a fully fit list.

The absolute best we can line up at some stage, with all current injured players available:

FB: Bergman Corr McDonald
HB: Sheezel Logue Goater
C: Scott LDU McKercher
HF: Zurhaar ????? Curtis
FF: Duursma Larkey RHJ
R: Xerri Simpkin Wardlaw

Int: Thomas, Stephens, Powell, Stephenson

Sub: Tucker

The ???? is either CCJ or Comben (who’s starting off down back due to Logue being out). Would rather Comben.

Phillips starts in the VFL along with Ford due to Duursma and McKercher coming into the club.

Bolded are what I see as positions open to change with form to dictate who plays (obviously very thin in the ruck but I simply don’t rate Xerri.)

Pink, Biggie alternative KPD’s who I see as depth only with a fully fit list.
By the end of last year I had Ford ahead of Sleevo but I guess we'll have to see how he comes back from injury.

Few updates to my best 2024 based on pre-season form and availability.

FB - K Dawson, A Corr, L McDonald
CHB - Z Fisher, C Comben, B Scott
C - D Tucker, LDU, D Stephens
CHF - J Stephenson, E Ford, H Sheezal
FF - C Zurhaar, N Larkey, P Curtis
Ruck - T Xerri, W Phillips, G Wardlaw
Bench - J Simpkin (mid), T Powell (mid), C Mckercher (back), H Greenwood (Fwd/Ruck)

Few notes:
1. Currnet back 6 is full of a few blokes coming off limited pre-seasons. IMO Bergs is next in line or Pink depending on match ups.
2. Bailey Scott clearly incidcated that he and Colby are training with the backs and Sheez has moved out of that group, hence my selections.
3. I have included Tarryn for now, depdning on how next week goes he would slot back into as a forward.
4. If Ford doesnt come up in time and Tarryn is no longer available for selection i'd probably look at RHJ or Zane as next man up.

There are some obvious holes at either end but the core nucleus looks pretty darn exciting and i'd just love to see LDU, Jy, Geroge, WP and Powell get some game time toghther to see what they can do.

We have some huge talent in the mid but how does everyone feel about their strength?
We were bullied around a lot last year, the likes of danger, neale, mccrae pushing us over with one hand.

I would love us to be a goal scoring excitement machine… 💥💥💥🔥🔥 which fan wouldn’t? Even our finals in 2014/2015 were built on role-playing and grinding wins… we were always in danger of a quick opposition burst sinking us.

Back pocket: LMac (crazy people think players and Clarko and coaches don’t rate this guy but pick as cap’n two years running). Competitor in poor team, will do his job in 2024.

B: LMac - Pink - Corr
Tucker - Dawson - Scott
Scheez - LDU - Stephens
Stephenson - Zurharr - Zane D
Curtis - Larkey - Robbie Junior
X - Warlord - Jy
Int: Kerch, Phillips, Powell, Hugh (ruck back up)
Sub: Shiels (every week for his leadership and calm in the rooms and bring him on 2nd half every game)

Emg: Laz, Biggie, Goater/Bergs

Injured: love George Sausage ready to go, Fordie (desperately need him back), Chom (ditto, but he’s on a slow summer program), Logue (genuine good guy, and KPB)

Show us something in the twos: Coops, CCJ, other young talls, CT and all the other Roo boys 👍

TT would always be in my best team. Love him, wish him much support on his difficult journey to mature manhood. Didn’t put him in lineup due to his current groin issues and lack of training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back