Your top 30 NBA Players of All Time: The 2013 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I did have him at 6 to begin with but Olujawon is probably the most skilled big man to play the game on both ends of the court and Shaq was literally unstoppable.

Agree with both statements. But I just think Kareems longevity gets him over the line. If Shaq had stayed in shape his whole career he would likely be number one. Apart from his free throw woes, he was unstoppable offensively, a behemoth with a soft touch and light feet, who was reffed differently simply as it almost seemed unfair the way he could bull defenders around.

Kareem was without doubt even taller than he was listed. So was Walton. It's weird though, with the exception of Wilt and Walton, none of the super tall players have ever been particularly great rebounders.

I think Kareem gets a pass as people seem to criticise every other aspect of his game. Dude won the finals mvp 16 years after making his debut. He had a bit more to his game than just being tall.

No doubt, I am merely pointing out a double standard. If height was all that mattered, Gheorge Muresan, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Yao Ming, Hasheem Thabeet and Manute Bol would be the greatest players of all time. :rolleyes:

No doubt, I am merely pointing out a double standard. If height was all that mattered, Gheorge Muresan, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Yao Ming, Hasheem Thabeet and Manute Bol would be the greatest players of all time. :rolleyes:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...tar-center-roy-hibbert-avoided-becoming-stiff

A seven footer with work ethic has just ridiculous odds of making the nba. Its the rare ones who have that height and above average skills or athleticism that become greats. Yao is odd in that I think if he had been just a standard seven footer, not seven five, he would of been allowed to be a high post, light framed pf, and probably had a better career.

Yao Ming was a Top 20 all time talent, too bad injuries cut his career and his ability short. Don't underestimate Manute Bol, could catapult a 3 with the best of them. :p

Yao Ming was a Top 20 all time talent, too bad injuries cut his career and his ability short. Don't underestimate Manute Bol, could catapult a 3 with the best of them. :p

But thats the thing, he had talent.

Talking about Yao made me remember the man taken just after him, Jay Williams, who many thought should have gone one. Another brilliant talent lost to injury, though, this injury was of his own accord. A professional sportsman shouldn't ride motorbikes.

But thats the thing, he had talent.

Not disagreeing with you, think if he was on a team where he was the main focus and was getting more then 12 shots a game he would of been as unstoppable as Shaq was, could step outside and hit the 18 footer and then could go inside and you didn't want to foul him either so there was basically no way to stop him from scoring. Pretty sure Shaq said he Yao could of been in the discussion for the best Center of all time.

Talking about Yao made me remember the man taken just after him, Jay Williams, who many thought should have gone one. Another brilliant talent lost to injury, though, this injury was of his own accord. A professional sportsman shouldn't ride motorbikes.

He wasn't supposed to either. It was written into his contract, as it is with most athletes.

Not disagreeing with you, think if he was on a team where he was the main focus and was getting more then 12 shots a game he would of been as unstoppable as Shaq was, could step outside and hit the 18 footer and then could go inside and you didn't want to foul him either so there was basically no way to stop him from scoring. Pretty sure Shaq said he Yao could of been in the discussion for the best Center of all time.

Just makes you realise humans really aren't meant to be over 7ft tall. Anyone that can play professional sport for 10+ years at that size is an absolute freak.

My list now:
  1. Michael Jordan
  2. Wilt Chamberlain
  3. Bill Russell
  4. Magic Johnson
  5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  6. Larry Bird
  7. Oscar Robertson
  8. Shaquille O'Neal
  9. Jerry West
  10. Hakeem Olajuwon
  11. Tim Duncan
  12. Moses Malone
  13. Julius Erving
  14. Kobe Bryant
  15. Elgin Baylor
  16. LeBron James
  17. Karl Malone
  18. Bob Pettit
  19. Charles Barkley
  20. Isiah Thomas
  21. John Stockton
  22. David Robinson
  23. Kevin Garnett
  24. Elvin Hayes
  25. Rick Barry
  26. John Havilcek
  27. Dominique Wilkins
  28. Scottie Pippen
  29. Bill Walton
  30. Clyde Drexler
Will edit in the remaining 10 tomorrow... Not finished yet

EDIT - Finished, but ****... Hard to compile.
My list...

The issues present with humans standing upright become clearer the taller people get. Weight increases exponentially with height, and the stress on joints is massive. Bol is one the weirdest tall player ever. 7'7" and 200 pounds. Im just under six foot and weigh that. Also, to steal a line from Bill Simmons, he was so black he was purple. Its just a fact.

My list now:
  1. Michael Jordan
  2. Wilt Chamberlain
  3. Bill Russell
  4. Magic Johnson
  5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
  6. Larry Bird
  7. Oscar Robertson
  8. Shaquille O'Neal
  9. Jerry West
  10. Hakeem Olajuwon
  11. Tim Duncan
  12. Moses Malone
  13. Julius Erving
  14. Kobe Bryant
  15. Elgin Baylor
  16. LeBron James
  17. Karl Malone
  18. Bob Pettit
  19. Charles Barkley
  20. Isiah Thomas
  21. John Stockton
  22. David Robinson
  23. Kevin Garnett
  24. Elvin Hayes
  25. Rick Barry
  26. John Havilcek
  27. Dominique Wilkins
  28. Scottie Pippen
  29. Bill Walton
  30. Clyde Drexler

Don't mind it. I'd definitely boot Elvin Hayes though. Probably for Dirk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also find it funny how we all say Kobe is the closest we've seen to Jordan, but when we do lists like this we don't seem to rate him. I dare say once he retires, his legacy will grow as it has with past players.

I also find it funny how we all say Kobe is the closest we've seen to Jordan, but when we do lists like this we don't seem to rate him. I dare say once he retires, his legacy will grow as it has with past players.

Kobe's relative inefficiency will be the thing that holds him back. Jordan wasn't a great 3 pt shooter, but drew fouls and shot over 50%. Kobe's an average 3 point shooter who is a volume scorer.

I did have him at 6 to begin with but Olujawon is probably the most skilled big man to play the game on both ends of the court and Shaq was literally unstoppable.

I've never seen the true greatness of Shaq, but he didn't seem like an 'unstoppable force' to me...

Don't really rate Russell tbh. He grabbed rebounds and swatted shots against short people. He had help from Cooz, Hondo and Sam Jones. I could see him as an Ibaka-type player in today's game. But, then again, it's all hypothetical.
There's a reason coaches still look towards Russell and his defensive instruction still these days.

Here's two notable writers lists.

Bill Simmons, from The Book of Basketball (Written 2009)

1. Jordan
  2. Russell
  3. Kareem
  4. Magic
  5. Bird
  6. Wilt
  7. Duncan
  8. West
  9. Oscar
  10. Hakeem
  11. Shaq
  12. Moses
  13. Havlicek
  14. Elgin
  15. Kobe
  16. Doc
  17. Pettit
  18. Karl Malone
  19. Chuck
  20. LeBron
  21. Cousy
  22. KG
  23. Isiah
  24. Pippen
  25. Stockton
  26. Rick Barry
  27. Walton
  28. David Robinson
  29. AI
  30. Willis Reed
Elliott Kalb Who's Better, Who's Best in Basketball. (Written 2004)
  1. Shaq
  2. Wilt
  3. Jordan
  4. Russell
  5. Kareem
  6. Bird
  7. Magic
  8. Oscar
  9. Duncan
  10. Cousy
  11. Pettit
  12. West
  13. Baylor
  14. Moses
  15. Dr.J
  16. Hakeem
  17. Karl Malone
  18. Kobe
  19. Mikan
  20. David Robinson
  21. Barkley
  22. Rick Barry
  23. Schayes
  24. Havlicek
  25. Isiah
  26. Gervin
  27. Stockton
  28. Kidd
  29. Pippen
  30. Rodman
Kalb's list is certainly a bit out there compared to most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back