Social Science Tight arse things you or others do

Remove this Banner Ad

Ther's being a tight arse and there's being dishonest, I'm the biggest tightarse going round, but never at the expense of others.

Just at the expense of yourself.

Don't understand it. Never have. It's just money. I work with a bloke who is 35 and on about 100k. No mortgage. No kids. This bloke will use coupons, vouchers and the like to save a few bucks. Once he spent 2 weeks comparing oil for his shitbox Holden, settling for one he thought was good but was 5 bucks cheaper. He will write letters to businesses if he isn't happy with their product and then write another if they don't respond with a refund or more products.

I don't mind him as a bloke, but I refuse to drink or spend time with him at all. Strictly work related. It's just sad, I reckon. Complete waste of time and energy.

When I was in Uni me and my mates used to go down to the local pub on wednesday nights for student night. They had cheap jugs.

There was this tightass bloke who we all knew from school (who was sorta frineds with one of my mates but not that close) who used to tag along.

We would all take turns buying a jug where it would be put on the table and shared. We would all drink out of middies (285ml). There was about 5 of us so normally we would get two jugs at a time and you would have two middies or so out each round.

Tight ass would wait until someone told him it was his round (he had usually done the disappearing act a few times already) then come back with one jug, but only after he had poured himself out a pint from the jug, leaving only about half for the rest of us.

We stopped answering his calls and he moved to adelaide.

Uni student days: used to drink Hahn ice cans, managed to convince myself they didnt taste like s**t, drank them as:
1. they were aounnd $26 for 30 cans
2. and, no one would nick them from you esky.

also used to take 2 hip flasks into night clubs in order to save money, by just buying coke and mixing it myself...

This isn't really a tight ass story as such but it sort of relates to it. In high school when we were in year 10 a couple of mates and I (about 4 guys organised it) super glued a $1 coin and a 50c coin about 50cm apart from each other just before recess in the canteen area. About 14 of us watched during recess and we all sat at a table in the canteen area and just watched who would try and pick it up. It was so funny when other students would bend down and try and pick it up and they couldn't pocket the money. They would here us all start laughing in the corner of the canteen area and walk off embarrassed. There were also these 2 year 8 boys who were extreme tight asses and always go to the area for recess and lunch to find change on the floor. I can remember one of them saying to the other "(name) look at all this change everywhere" the other bloke would come running over and they would both try and pick it up but they couldn't, everyone found that funny even the students waiting in line of the canteen.

Towards the end a couple of year 12 blokes who we all got along with knew what we were up to and wanted to wreak our fun, ended up going into the wood work room and grabbing a chisel. At first one of the blokes tried kicking it to see if it would move (it didn't) then he removed a chisel from his back pocket scrapped the $1.50 in total from the floor and kept it himself. This all made for a very entertaining recess for us and the bloke ended up $1.50 richer.

Uni student days: used to drink Hahn ice cans, managed to convince myself they didnt taste like s**t, drank them as:

also used to take 2 hip flasks into night clubs in order to save money, by just buying coke and mixing it myself...

and it worked too
" hey, got a beer mate" "yair, got a hahn ice". stopped people asking or nicking.

Not much I do could be called 'tightarse' I s'pose, but I love a bargain. I don't like paying full price for non-essentials and household goods. If I'm supermarket shopping and stuff is on sale I'll buy multiple items to make the most of it (like 2 jars of coffee instead of one), and I love stocktake sale time. Why pay $25 for a towel when you can get it for $17 at the 'right' time of year?

The other thing I do is pay bills close to the due date, or after or even on reminders sometimes - they're not getting my money until the last possible moment (ok - sometimes it's just procrastination).

Other than that, I'm pretty generous and don't like skimping on quality - there's no way I'm eating/drinking 'home brand' anything, wearing 'best & less' undies, or eating cheap cuts of meat. I'm happy to shout drinks and definitely not too fussed about accurately splitting food bills.

minimum 2 pisses before flush. Unless i've eaten asparagus :)

I do that, but it's more of an environmental thing for me, seeing as I don't pay the water rates.

One thing I do that is probably classified more as "thrifty" than tight - Whenever I have a roast chicken, bought or home made, I always simmer the carcass with an onion and a carrot, then drain off the liquid. Awesome home made stock. I then pick any of the remaining chicken off the carcass, add this to the stock with a couple of cans of creamed corn and a bit of soy sauce. Easy chicken & corn soup made out of something that would normally just end up in the trash :thumbsu:

One thing I do that is probably classified more as "thrifty" than tight - Whenever I have a roast chicken, bought or home made, I always simmer the carcass with an onion and a carrot, then drain off the liquid. Awesome home made stock. I then pick any of the remaining chicken off the carcass, add this to the stock with a couple of cans of creamed corn and a bit of soy sauce. Easy chicken & corn soup made out of something that would normally just end up in the trash :thumbsu:

Sorry. That's tight. Chicken stock costs all of $2.50 a carton!

do it with a duck
$20 duck, becomes breasts,cofit legs and asian duck soup with carcass.
3 meals for 2 at $3.3 a serve:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahaha!
Love it.
I had a mate who only smoked Guden Garan, Indian Herbal cigs, blech smelled and tasted like exotic mammal crap, just so no-one would scab off him. Later in life he was bemoaning his lack of youthfull sexual partners...hahaha....we told him why.

Scrimp at your own peril.:D

Sorry. That's tight. Chicken stock costs all of $2.50 a carton!

But it's already there, in my kitchen. Do you seriously think I should go out to the shops and buy a carton of stock when I could make it out of scraps, just to not look like a tight-ass? This attitude gives me the shits. If we're going to farm animals for our consumption, at least have the decency to use every bit of the animal.

in fact there's certain situations where you don't even want to use small notes eh freaky :cool:

ROFL. That reminds me of a time we were being very spoilt by this generous hard nut and my mate pulls out a $5 note. I gave him the dirtiest look and motioned for him to stop and put it back in his pocket whilst I pulled out a hundred.

Had to explain the etiquette to him after that it would have been an insult and not a good move with this nutter.

This isn't really a tight ass story as such but it sort of relates to it. In high school when we were in year 10 a couple of mates and I (about 4 guys organised it) super glued a $1 coin and a 50c coin about 50cm apart from each other just before recess in the canteen area. About 14 of us watched during recess and we all sat at a table in the canteen area and just watched who would try and pick it up. It was so funny when other students would bend down and try and pick it up and they couldn't pocket the money. They would here us all start laughing in the corner of the canteen area and walk off embarrassed. There were also these 2 year 8 boys who were extreme tight asses and always go to the area for recess and lunch to find change on the floor. I can remember one of them saying to the other "(name) look at all this change everywhere" the other bloke would come running over and they would both try and pick it up but they couldn't, everyone found that funny even the students waiting in line of the canteen.

Towards the end a couple of year 12 blokes who we all got along with knew what we were up to and wanted to wreak our fun, ended up going into the wood work room and grabbing a chisel. At first one of the blokes tried kicking it to see if it would move (it didn't) then he removed a chisel from his back pocket scrapped the $1.50 in total from the floor and kept it himself. This all made for a very entertaining recess for us and the bloke ended up $1.50 richer.

Better trick is to heat the s**t out of the coin and then throw it on the floor of the pub and watch people burn themselves trying to pick it up.

in year 12 to get free food we'd hold vending machines on an angle of 70-80 degrees and given them a good shake so the food stuffs would fall out.
Never got caught and got generally free choccy bars like wagon wheels:thumbsu:

When at the supermarket I take the stalks off the better tasting and more expensive hydroponic tomatos, then I put them in the bag and pay for regular crappy tomatos

massively used technique, as well as the eating half a bag of grapes before u get to the register... kicked a few people out of the supermarket for doing it not long ago lol.

my mum has this entertainment guide book (i think someone mentioned it earlier) i use that whenever i eat out at the moment... usually save from 25% plus on meals.

massively used technique, as well as the eating half a bag of grapes before u get to the register... kicked a few people out of the supermarket for doing it not long ago lol.

my mum has this entertainment guide book (i think someone mentioned it earlier) i use that whenever i eat out at the moment... usually save from 25% plus on meals.

I've got one of those too. If you eat out a lot they're definitely worth it. I think we paid about $60 for it but it paid itself off in about 3 or 4 meals.

what shits me about those books is a lot of these businesses that agree to go in them end up looking at you like you are a leper.

Just give me my free ****ing wheel balance and treat me with respect :mad:;)

But it's already there, in my kitchen. Do you seriously think I should go out to the shops and buy a carton of stock when I could make it out of scraps, just to not look like a tight-ass? This attitude gives me the shits. If we're going to farm animals for our consumption, at least have the decency to use every bit of the animal.

Not to mention homemade stock tastes much, much better.

Other than that, I'm pretty generous and don't like skimping on quality - there's no way I'm eating/drinking 'home brand' anything, wearing 'best & less' undies, or eating cheap cuts of meat. I'm happy to shout drinks and definitely not too fussed about accurately splitting food bills.

This sums me up too, I think. I mean, like everyone I love a bargain or saving a buck, but there's no way I'm lining up behind four cars on a Wednesday afternoon to fill up my car with my coupon just to save one dollar.

I also hate it when it comes to splitting the bill, so I just chuck down fifty bucks or whatever I think is reasonable enough and hopefully avoid any awkwardness.

Same with meat. Always from the butcher. In fact, I come home pretty regularly so I bring an esky with me and get my dad to buy it from where he does some work over Christmas when they're busy, so discount on beautiful meat.

What are things you do to save money? I am a bit tight with my money in some instances, but then in others I am not. Some things I do:

I always buy petrol on the Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I don't really like tipping waiter's when eating out, unless the service is excellent.

Splitting bills. I don't really drink alcohol, so I don't think I should pay for others to drink. Paying for your share when eating out only seems fair.

Going to a pub on whenever its Parma specials night.

Tight arses I dont understand:
- People who go on holiday, then don't actually do anything there cos they are on a tight budget. What is the point?

good thread.

I actually "waste" money to make my life easier. example will pay for parking, buy lunch every day Im at work and dont mind paying extra at dinners in order to avoid any conflict with friends over bills, I dont tip almost ever and when on holidays I enjoy everything on offer.

I do ok probably, but no Im no millionaire lol. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back