Toast Steve Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Best player in our last final by a street and nearly won the Brownlow despite missing numerous games. Is the most underrated player at our club by Geelong supporters by a street which is really bizarre. Is clearly in our top 2 players. Absolute STAR and hopefully after he is retired he is remembered as such! It will be a real pity if he isn't.

Best player in our last final by a street and nearly won the Brownlow despite missing numerous games. Is the most underrated player at our club by Geelong supporters by a street which is really bizarre. Is clearly in our top 2 players. Absolute STAR and hopefully after he is retired he is remembered as such! It will be a real pity if he isn't.

Don't forget the elephants in the room - if the idiot didn't keep getting himself suspended he might have a Brownlow around his neck this morning. I wonder if that'll finally get it through his skull.

Don't forget the elephants in the room - if the idiot didn't keep getting himself suspended he might have a Brownlow around his neck this morning. I wonder if that'll finally get it through his skull.
Missing a final last year wasn't enough for him to learn (re-offended three times in about six months this year) so I doubt it.

Message to Stevie J....don't get suspended 3 times and you might win a Brownlow!

Undisciplined acts on the field and a flagrant disregard for the rules of the game cost Geelong plenty this year, Johnson was not alone in this. I am not convinced of this so called rock solid culture down there when you look at what happened this year? The message simply didn't get across, is that Chris Scott's fault or do we have dumb footballers wearing the hoops?
I know the rules are an ass, but players repeatedly got themselves in trouble week in and week out, it got to the point of who's next to get reported?

Stevie J should kick himself really hard this morning as he should be a Brownlow medallist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prob a decent bet for early on next year.
I think now that he knows how close he got it will probably drive him to become more disciplined

I put some money on him early...I reckon he lasted about two games before being suspended. One suspension, fair enough that can be bad luck (he actually dodged a bullet by being suspended in the NAB Cup, which doesn't make you ineligible for the Brownlow - though it obviously costs you a game or two). But three suspensions in a season, after missing a final through suspension the previous season? He's got no-one to blame but himself. When he did play this season though, he was brilliant.

The other thing is he's cost himself any chance at a Carji and probably won't even finish in the top five, with the way the voting is done. Missing more than a couple of games kills you in the Carji and he's going to be carrying a few weeks of '0' votes, where players like Stokes, Enright and Selwood will have '7', '8' and '9' consistently.

I put some money on him early...I reckon he lasted about two games before being suspended. One suspension, fair enough that can be bad luck (he actually dodged a bullet by being suspended in the NAB Cup, which doesn't make you ineligible for the Brownlow - though it obviously costs you a game or two). But three suspensions in a season, after missing a final through suspension the previous season? He's got no-one to blame but himself. When he did play this season though, he was brilliant.

The other thing is he's cost himself any chance at a Carji and probably won't even finish in the top five, with the way the voting is done. Missing more than a couple of games kills you in the Carji and he's going to be carrying a few weeks of '0' votes, where players like Stokes, Enright and Selwood will have '7', '8' and '9' consistently.

And unfortunately it detracts from how he has brilliantly transformed himself from a pure forward to almost a pure midfielder. Who gets tons of the ball and uses it superbly. You never know, next year he could keep the discipline under control and hopefully actually win one.

And unfortunately it detracts from how he has brilliantly transformed himself from a pure forward to almost a pure midfielder. Who gets tons of the ball and uses it superbly. You never know, next year he could keep the discipline under control and hopefully actually win one.

It disappoints me a bit that by the end of his career, Steve Johnson may not have any individual awards to show for the two seasons where he played his best footy: 2009 and 2013. 2009 was bad luck for him, getting injured mid-season, though he could have gone down in infamy as one of the villains of the 2009 grand final, had we lost (being clearly not fit for the game). In 2013, he had reasonable warning to pull up on his aggression, after getting rubbed out in the final H&A game in 2012. Then he got suspended again in a pointless NAB Cup round robin hit-and-giggle. Then he got suspended a further two times (once against Brisbane and then in his return game against Melbourne). Just no excuse.

He could have finished 2013 with a Carji (when he's never come within a bull's roar previously) and should have finished by easily taking out the Brownlow and winning AA selection. Instead, he walks away from this season with nothing.

Prob a decent bet for early on next year.
I think now that he knows how close he got it will probably drive him to become more disciplined
I hope you're right. Would love to see him without his silly antics.
My love-hate relationship with SJ will continue until then!

Not for a first time a guys has just missed. In the old days SJ would have stopped getting votes when suspended. In that case Selwood would have won.

SJ will probably never win , but he is not alone . Budda was 2nd 4 times? He is gun player and possibly better in middle as a forward. But I wonder for the teams benefit , time for kids he will back more forward in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back