Dermott Brereton picks Hawks to slide to fifth

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Rohan Conolly on SEN this morning and he said we'd finish fourth with Freo to be premiers. I reckon the journalists just take a punt and hope their prediction comes off, no one can know at this time of the year. As Rohan himself said, it's boring to just predict the premiers to win again, it sells more papers if the journos say something more left field.

Dermie's comment about injuries is valid but I think he is underestimating our depth.

He quotes aging and lackmof depth but that applies to sydney more than us, and a couple of teams rated 1 to 4

DERMOTT Brereton has thrown a curve ball at his former club Hawthorn, predicting the reigning premiers will not make the top 4 in 2014.

Writing for the Herald Sun’s FOOTY14 magazine, which went on sale yesterday, Brereton didn’t discount the Hawks from going back-to-back. But he said it would be hard.

“The best team of 2013 can do the same again,” he writes.

“Even without Lance Franklin, they still boast unrivalled forward-half potency. There will be no half measures.

“They could be grand finalists, or slip to fifth or sixth.

“Why? They have so much A-Grade talent on the wrong side of 27. Experience is great, but the injury rate climbs once you get nearer to 30.

“If Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis and Sewell stay fit and healthy, there is no reason why the Hawks will not win it again.

“But how much will Rioli play, and how much in the midfield? And what will the talented Garlett deliver?”

DERMOTT BRERETON’S 2014 LADDER

1. Sydney

2. Fremantle

3. Collingwood

4. Geelong

5. Hawthorn

6. Richmond

7. North Melbourne

8. Essendon

9. Carlton

10. Port Adelaide

11. Brisbane

12. Adelaide

13. Gold Coast

14. Western Bulldogs

15. West Coast Eagles

16. Melbourne

17. St Kilda

18. GWS

If that does eventuate,
Finals one sydney beat geelong, fremantle beat collingwood, hawks beat essendon

Finals two hawks beat geelong, collingwood

West Coast at 15 is interesting.

Agreed....Reckon their forward line is right up there with the best & they were also cruelled by injuries last year.....Derm is a fair dinkum doofus sometimes!

Derm picking us to finish 5th is a clear ploy to motivate his old side....As transparent as ever The Kid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Derm just trying to be controversial but he's also hedging his statement by saying we could finish anywhere from 1-6. It's a pretty vague prediction. Had he predicted us to finish first everyone else would accuse him of Hawthorn bias.

Not that I've bothered checking but the $wans board are probably whinging that he said “even without Lance Franklin, they still boast unrivalled forward-half potency." There's a fair few $wans who think they have the best forward line and by some margin.

It's mathematically impossible for the Hawks to finish 5th going. We'd need to lose 6-8 games for the year. I'm struggling to find one or two. Still, I'd rather Dermie say that rather than predict a Hawthorn domination. That's our job.

Meh...the predictions people make about possible events six months down the track are of zero consequence; they're less than meaningless.

The label on your underpants is of more importance to you than the speculation of random sport media "experts" about possible final eights, possible grand finalists, or possible premiers. It's just piss in the wind.

It's mathematically impossible for the Hawks to finish 5th going. We'd need to lose 6-8 games for the year. I'm struggling to find one or two. Still, I'd rather Dermie say that rather than predict a Hawthorn domination. That's our job.

Last week i heard him say it would be an even season, 16 wins delivering top spot. That puts 5 th place about 14 to 14 wins.
U
Im not going too early but after a few rounds we may be predicting a hawk domination. Too old too slow too good

Meh, Dermie, what can you say. He's right, we could finish 1-5, we could miss top 4. Let's be honest here, what he has said isn't groundbreaking, we have guys over 27 who are key planks in our team, and injuries could play a part. Find me another side aiming at the top 4 that isn't in this position?? Freo lose Sandi, Pav, McPharlin, Mundy for a period of time, how will they track?? Geelong lose Bartel, Lonergan, or Enright, Sydney with Richard, Franklin, McVeigh etc,. It's going to impact all of them. Only probably Collingwood have a list where they aren't reliant on guys nearing 30.

Still confidant that we can push for the flag again, and confidant we are building a second tier midfield that will help us replace and rest the guys like Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell etc.

Dermott is playing reverse psychology….he says "we can definitely win the flag" then predicts us for 5th…both swans and Freo have key players over 28 as well

this group of players have a 2 year window to win another flag, hopefully there focused determined and hungry in 2014 as this is a great opportunity

It's mathematically impossible for the Hawks to finish 5th going. We'd need to lose 6-8 games for the year.
Mathematically impossible?

Not sure I'd go that far ;)

Meh, Dermie, what can you say. He's right, we could finish 1-5, we could miss top 4. Let's be honest here, what he has said isn't groundbreaking, we have guys over 27 who are key planks in our team, and injuries could play a part. Find me another side aiming at the top 4 that isn't in this position?? Freo lose Sandi, Pav, McPharlin, Mundy for a period of time, how will they track?? Geelong lose Bartel, Lonergan, or Enright, Sydney with Richard, Franklin, McVeigh etc,. It's going to impact all of them. Only probably Collingwood have a list where they aren't reliant on guys nearing 30.

Still confidant that we can push for the flag again, and confidant we are building a second tier midfield that will help us replace and rest the guys like Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell etc.

Collingwood have Swan at 30, Ball at 29 and a second year ruckman who will be supported by the 35 year old Hudson and the Q-Stick Lynch.. It's going to impact all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back