New facilities at Springfield - update: Federal funding under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the council has received a government letter saying $200 million in funding will become available over a five-year period for regional projects from 2015.
Council aims to secure some of that, and will approach the Newman Government for funding as well. Mr Sharpless, also the SLC deputy chairman, remains confident the funding will come through.

If this is to be believed, it's fair to say we are basing our plans for future facilities on a somewhat tenuous premise.

Basically we are hoping that this fund becomes available, and we hope we will receive funding under that program. And if we don't, then we start this whole process from scratch in 2015.

Lions stay true: Springfield relocation still on track
The Queensland Times
THE BRISBANE Lions' move to Springfield is going ahead at full steam. The Coalition Government's decision to not honour the $15 million in funding ...

Article refers to Lions Mascot as "Rocky" all credibility lost. ;)

I can understand the confusion though, I look at Bernie "GAbba" Vegas, and think he is a B Grader, for mine and won't be best 22 in a couple of years.

Can't find it online, but Hammo, of all people, wrote a great article in today's CM about why we should not re-sign an exclusive agreement with Sprinfield when the current one expires. Made complete sense to me

Hope someone else can.

Can't find it online, but Hammo, of all people, wrote a great article in today's CM about why we should not re-sign an exclusive agreement with Sprinfield when the current one expires. Made complete sense to me

Hope someone else can.
Best line was that Sharpless needs to be a Chairman for all purposes, not just the Springfield project.

It's one thing to look at other options, it's another when you have a full fledged offer on the table from another party. I'd be wary of entering any kind of extension either. Getting locked into another year, then waiting and the funding doesn't turn up, meanwhile, that year the other option could have had everything just about done and you could be looking at moving into your new facilities.

Springfield would have to be miles in front as an option in terms of facilities and $$ for us to remain so blinkered with it. It's all well and good for Sharpless not to vote on the matter due to conflict on interest, but in the mean time he is the one at the wheel steering us in that direction. It's like having a ship at sea, giving the crew a choice of what port they want to dock at, yet the captain just plots a course for this preferred destination, and upon arrival calls a vote and says he won't vote due to conflict of interest.

Hope someone else can.

Yep, if they are no closer to getting funding in June they need to be open to all possibilities and try and get a bidding war happening again.

Did anyone see the Bombers new training facilities today.....shown on ch9.

What a setup!..they have two grounds, one MCG size and one Etihad size....so whichever one they are playing at, they train on.

We should be so lucky!!...Any chance one of our rich board members put their hands in their pockets and hand over some decent sized dough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone see the Bombers new training facilities today.....shown on ch9.

What a setup!..they have two grounds, one MCG size and one Etihad size....so whichever one they are playing at, they train on.

We should be so lucky!!...Any chance one of our rich board members put their hands in their pockets and hand over some decent sized dough?

I was quite amazed at how brilliant the set up was...unfortunately that is the norm for most college football teams in the US, not to mention the pro ones and pro European football clubs. Whilst Springfield may have two ovals etc., which you hope will be exact replicas in dimensions to say the Gabba and MCG/Docklands as Essendons set-up, sans the Gabba, but ours needs to have an indoor facility such as the Bombers one otherwise whatever facilities we build will be outdated within 10 years.

I was quite amazed at how brilliant the set up was...unfortunately that is the norm for most college football teams in the US, not to mention the pro ones and pro European football clubs. Whilst Springfield may have two ovals etc., which you hope will be exact replicas in dimensions to say the Gabba and MCG/Docklands as Essendons set-up, sans the Gabba, but ours needs to have an indoor facility such as the Bombers one otherwise whatever facilities we build will be outdated within 10 years.

Yes we need the state of the art gym and the whole box and dice.

The way we are going, what is planned now and by the time it is built, will be outdated in 5yrs of opening.

So after less than four years, it seems that St Kilda are pretty much prepared to abandon Linen House in Seaford.

There were multiple issues with that facility, but distance from the centre of town was one of the major ones.

It worries me a bit that we are pushing full steam ahead into an arrangement that will give us a similar level of isolation. St Kilda thought they could deal with the issues of distance and now it seems they've found they can't. It can't be a coincidence that they're thinking of moving to one of the most central locations available in Melbourne.

So after less than four years, it seems that St Kilda are pretty much prepared to abandon Linen House in Seaford.

There were multiple issues with that facility, but distance from the centre of town was one of the major ones.

It worries me a bit that we are pushing full steam ahead into an arrangement that will give us a similar level of isolation. St Kilda thought they could deal with the issues of distance and now it seems they've found they can't. It can't be a coincidence that they're thinking of moving to one of the most central locations available in Melbourne.

Funny about that isn't it? The distance from town was the major issue - there were peropheral issues (out grown the space) lack of cafes etc. but distance from the centre of the Melbourne universe was no.1

Hilarious ...I live close to the Moorabbin Ground...They denied it at the time but it was a dispute with the Kingston Council over poker machines at the Moorabbin ground led that to the move. Struck a deal with Frankston Council in 2007...statement by the Club at the time went along the lines.. "There's a lot of St Kilda supporters within the Frankston Peninsula area, the facilities on offer and the package put together by council were too good to knock back"...that package expires end of the year....I can only assume those supporters must have moved back to St.Kilda...;)

Hilarious ...I live close to the Moorabbin Ground...They denied it at the time but it was a dispute with the Kingston Council over poker machines at the Moorabbin ground led that to the move. Struck a deal with Frankston Council in 2007...statement by the Club at the time went along the lines.. "There's a lot of St Kilda supporters within the Frankston Peninsula area, the facilities on offer and the package put together by council were too good to knock back"...that package expires end of the year....I can only assume those supporters must have moved back to St.Kilda...;)

Of more interest to us should be the joint usage / upgrade with Cricket Victoria. Unless we have more of a community / joint partner - I cannot see how it will attract State or Federal funding. I have some limited experience in the area and one main beneficiary funding applications normally don't fly.

So FP, do you reckon part of the problem is that the club were never wholeheartedly committed to the Linen House move?
Because if that's the case then that undercuts my argument a little bit. If we are genuinely committed to moving the club to the Ipswich region then hopefully we'd deal with it better than the Saints.

Of more interest to us should be the joint usage / upgrade with Cricket Victoria. Unless we have more of a community / joint partner - I cannot see how it will attract State or Federal funding. I have some limited experience in the area and one main beneficiary funding applications normally don't fly.

When I read the article about StKda possible relocating back to Junction Oval with joint tenants it also reminded me that Essendon have done the same.

New facilities are paramount in my reckoning and believe that this should be looked at. Not too sure what the Roar and Reds have as training facilities or whether to look at other means but having these discussions is a must

Springfield is pretty easy to get to if you live south of the river. It's a motoroway, exit, motorway away. No traffic lights or anything barely. Once you are out of Moorooka it is smooth sailing.

I can think of no coherent reason to put the facility at Springfield other than the ex-chairman had a personal interest in it going through. And I live in the western suburbs. You have a whole lot of young guys who need to attend uni training, probably don't want to live in the Ipswich area, why make it even more unattractive to come here.

Surely a redevelopment of Coorparoo would have to be looked at.

I would have thought it was more about having been presented a new offer that is too good to refuse that wasn't on the table at the time of their previous decision. Of course everyone would rather be in a better location if the financial case still stacks up.

I would have thought it was more about having been presented a new offer that is too good to refuse that wasn't on the table at the time of their previous decision. Of course everyone would rather be in a better location if the financial case still stacks up.

You might be right. There've been whispers about unhappiness at the venue ever since it was opened, so I'm putting two and two together a bit here and assuming that it's the Saints that have initiated this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back