Joe Bullock= Does he even want to get elected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really, he is doing what he needs to do so he/his party can remain in power for as long as possible & if he can destroy or at least permanently reduce the influence of the TU movement then it's drinks all round.

I don't see how reforming and modernising the trade union movement equates to destroy or permanently reduce.

Indeed if the movement reforms and modernises it would be much better placed to represent its members and even gain new ones, I would have thought.

I don't see how reforming and modernising the trade union movement equates to destroy or permanently reduce.

Indeed if the movement reforms and modernises it would be much better placed to represent its members and even gain new ones, I would have thought.

I never said that Abbott want's to modernize the ALP/TU , once again you are not letting the words settle in your head before replying.

I much prefer joe bullock, he sounds like a person that's has the ideas which old school working class people want to hear, this is the real labor party that we want , not these others twits like pratt, who you would run a mile from if you came in contact with her, with her bizarre family situation, that's why labor only gets 20% of the vote, if they got back to basics and were socially conservative and economically protectionist , I would jump back on board in a second, need a clear out of all these trendy clowns with their way out ideas that no one wants a bar of

He is not up to it intellectually - he is the worst hack that has been thrown up to the senate in 20 years. Irrespective of his bullshit Views

He is not up to it intellectually - he is the worst hack that has been thrown up to the senate in 20 years. Irrespective of his bullshit Views

Sadly, that's often the case with the Senate...The party hacks who lack the popular appeal to have a hope in a marginal seat get sent to the Senate and/or safe seats....Which would be fine if they brought talent and skills to the table, but often it's just the hacks who are 'owed'.

Sadly, that's often the case with the Senate...The party hacks who lack the popular appeal to have a hope in a marginal seat get sent to the Senate and/or safe seats....Which would be fine if they brought talent and skills to the table, but often it's just the hacks who are 'owed'.

He can't even present his deeply held convictions in a logical way - and I am with you about the senate being a ship of fools. Bullock had just arrived on the scene just before I left Perth - I spat out my beer when the moron I met was described as a Labor power broker

come on it wont hurt to say Sarah Hansen Young is a tool, as we admitted that Bernardi comes under that category, be fair
She may not express herself well, (to some peoples liking) but I think that her passion for what she believes in is consistent unlike some other Senators. Don't have a problem with her.

She may not express herself well, (to some peoples liking) but I think that her passion for what she believes in is consistent unlike some other Senators. Don't have a problem with her.

Bernardi is consistent and passionate...and like SHY, it's a major part of why he's so embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit radical for me and too old school - 1950's. Her comments and beliefs are more relevant, at least to me.

I would have thought that'd make her more embarrassing to you. We tend to be more embarrassed by those we're closer too, can relate to or associate with. Not least because an idiot who supports 'my' positions weakens my ability to garner support for those positions.

Joe Bullock has received less below the line votes than Pratt. Although it won't make one iota of difference Antony Green says that he's never seen the second candidate outpoll the first on BTL votes. That shows just how unpopular Bullock was amongst Labor voters.

Joe Bullock has received less below the line votes than Pratt. Although it won't make one iota of difference Antony Green says that he's never seen the second candidate outpoll the first on BTL votes. That shows just how unpopular Bullock was amongst Labor voters.

To a degree, yes, but why would you vote for the top of the ticket BTL if you were a solid ALP voter?

To a degree, yes, but why would you vote for the top of the ticket BTL if you were a solid ALP voter?

Most people who vote below the line do so based on later preferences rather than because they want to vote for somebody other than the number 1 senate candidate for that party. For example at the 2013 version of the WA election the below the line votes went 5,271 to Bullock and 2,198 to Pratt. Of course this was before Bullock got all the unwanted attention.

Actually Pratt getting about 40% of the Bullock's BTL votes in 2013 was by for the highest in WA. For example the Liberal BTL votes went 4,936 for their number 1 position (David Johnston) and only 349 for their number 2 (Michaelia Cash). For the second candidate to outpoll the first in BTL votes is truly extraordinary when in most states the 1st position gets something around 10x the vote of the second.

Most people who vote below the line do so based on later preferences rather than because they want to vote for somebody other than the number 1 senate candidate for that party. For example at the 2013 version of the WA election the below the line votes went 5,271 to Bullock and 2,198 to Pratt. Of course this was before Bullock got all the unwanted attention.

Actually Pratt getting about 40% of the Bullock's BTL votes in 2013 was by for the highest in WA. For example the Liberal BTL votes went 4,936 for their number 1 position (David Johnston) and only 349 for their number 2 (Michaelia Cash). For the second candidate to outpoll the first in BTL votes is truly extraordinary when in most states the 1st position gets something around 10x the vote of the second.

Fair enough, thanks!

We don't really have anything to compare it to though. There's never been a Senate only election, and it just so happened that this speech that Bullock gave last year was all over the media two days before voting day.

I would have thought that'd make her more embarrassing to you. We tend to be more embarrassed by those we're closer too, can relate to or associate with. Not least because an idiot who supports 'my' positions weakens my ability to garner support for those positions.

I am not embarrassed by people who use the English language poorly to get their message across. If I was, my poor parents would have had to stay inside most of their lives.
I didn't understand the rest of your post.

I am not embarrassed by people who use the English language poorly to get their message across. If I was, my poor parents would have had to stay inside most of their lives.
I didn't understand the rest of your post.

It's not her language skills that are the problem.

Or are you suggesting that the stupid things she says are just 'good ideas, poorly expressed'? If you, do you give all politicians similar latitude?

So you took 'people have a right to be bigots' in the spirit it was intended and agreed with the entirety of Brandis' responce that it wasn't a good thing for people to be bigots, just that they had the right to be.

So you took 'people have a right to be bigots' in the spirit it was intended and agreed with the entirety of Brandis' responce that it wasn't a good thing for people to be bigots, just that they had the right to be.
Seriously, I don't understand your posts and don't know how your got this from my response.

Seriously, I don't understand your posts and don't know how your got this from my response.

You suggested that you gave latitude to 'good ideas, poorly expressed' regardless of who said it, I'm testing that notion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back