Review Dees v Gary Ablett Jr and the Gold Coast Suns - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good:
Nathan jones, all class. Loved his ability to clear the ball and offer first class disposal.

Jack Vineys' endeavour was amazing attacking everything, ball and person with such recklessnes really an essential.

Frawley was really useful, leading hard at absolutely everything and nearly being rewarded with his first bag of 3. Although he may have dropped a couple of chest marks his speed is very impressive and was so very useful when running back onto the ball and his terrific ability to take marks in contested situations.

Dawes: did decent and contested as hard as he can as well as a very fantastic goal and kept at it until the end. Not a premier forward. But a solid body there to drag the ball down. Making quite the team with Frawley.

Jay Kennedy-Harris potential, it's amazing his forward pressure and goal finding ability. Going to be good. Especially considering it's his first year and his body probably isn't ready for the AFL

Howes second half although his kicking wasn't the best. At times. He still was what was needed taking very strong contested marks. I definitely think he needs to be a half forward that drifts high up the ground. Especially with no big ruck marking or some bigger bodies lacking physicality around the mid E.g:Spencer and Watts but with the exception of Dawes who might go quite high. But no big ruck dragging it down like a cox or Mcevoy or even Mumford. Although he isn't a giant he does the trick

When we switched it across the ground it generally become attacking quickly. Instead of constantly taking too long to maintain possession of the ball and stalling and letting all the leads dry up.

Bad:
Watts, tried to be too hard to outclass his opponents and got shut down too many times. Didn't even use his strengths to his absolute strengths maybe he's still learning to try and play a more diverse role.

Howes first half. Needs to be able to play a consistent four quarters instead of in only parts of a game.

Tyson being subbed off so early, probably should've been Jetta or terlich.

Sometimes the dees tackles were broken a couple times when they shouldn't have.run and carry at times was limited, where Kent is needed although Frawleu did to some extent only running back into the forward 50. And Matt jones probably didn't provide his great leg speed as he has the ability to.

I love Terlich but he really does shank the ball too many times and puts the back 50 under too much strain, lucky he Suns missed something like over 20 points because they were relentless at one stage.

Fugly:
Jetta, I really do take back my false premonitions of it being the year of the 'jet'.

Watts lacking the ability to ever take a contested mark. Although he did take that nice one from rishetelli but that was barely contested and pure smarts. But although that's not his natural game his ability in what he can do well was not prominent enough.

Not enough players that I feel safe enough when they have their hand on the footy. Surely Clisby would have to come in for Terlich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good call. We need to talk about Vince. He's not horrible, but what is he offering to the team at the moment? I may be missing him when he's around the clinches but I'm struggling to think of moments he impacted the game.

Vince is playing alot inside at the moment , Ive noticed even his handballs are pure quality and they always find there target but he isnt getting enough ball on the outside to make a huge impact, he is definently working hard though

Good:
Jones: Nuff said.
Dawes: just saying his name makes me tingle, seems to be a lot like Clarke maybe not the best finisher but he just wants the ball... Best decision from the Neeld era. Really liked how he had a shot on goal after the siren at 1/2 time. Was like he recognised his goal compass was out and tried to zero it back in.
Frawley: Looks soooo good up forward, his leads, his hands and OMG HIS SPEED!!! That 1,2 with Dawes in the 2nd
Viney, Cross, Dunn, JKH Pedo: I thought they all played very commendable games and JKH with the courage to get his head taken off and get back up grab his head off the ground and chase the ball:thumbsu::thumbsu:. A few players could learn from that
Roos: After watching games last year i didn't realise you could change the game plan at half time if its not working. This man will take us places
Ablett: I know the good is usually reserved for Dees, but there is no denying this man is good
We're one week closer to having Gawn, Hogan and Jamar back
Bad:
Terlich: WTF? Turnovers kill us. Hell turnovers hurt the good teams and we're far from that. Was lucky not to get subbed out.
Centre clearances: I feel for Spencer I really do. Has a big tank and tries all day but he needs someone to learn off and to chop out with.
Tyson: Quiet start to the game but i thought he seemed to pick up a bit before being subbed off. Although i don't doubt there was a reason
Jones v Ablett/AFLs most underrated player v AFLs most overrated player: The intention was good, Jones shut down Murphy while having a good game of his own last week but Murphy has been playing very poorly lately and Jones just did his own thing. Ablett is not having a poor time of it lately and shutting him down is a job in itself, Jones on Ablett just tied up our best player, they both still had an impact but it was reduced. I think McKenzie on Ablett while Jones on Prestia would have been a better combo (which i think Roos swapped to at the major break)
THAT decision:mad:: Really hurt us, we had a lot of momentum our way and although 1 goal less wouldn't have won us the game. I think it played a big part in losing it.

Ugly:
Watts: Probably more deserves to be in the bad, but it's his potential and more so his consistent failure to realise it that drops him down to ugly. Sorry but its just been 1 too many games of "He's just lost" "Give him another game, he's good enough for it" VFL and if he doesn't work to return to AFL. * off to NBA. I just want him to WORK.
Our kickouts: The same thing over and over. Bomb it to the right hand pocket and hope for the best.
Communication: On more than one occasion it was an issue but the Dawes shot on goal sticks out the most. Had time and space to run right to the square and boot it through but rushed a snap around the body. Maybe i'm being harsh but no one told him to run it in. This leads onto...
Support: Once again it was an issue more than once but it was Dawes (GOD i :hearts: that man) that stuck out in my mind. 3 on 1 in the forward pocket and had a red hot crack at it, but where the * were the players marking the other two? Oh here they come trotting over near on a minute later. Too late the balls gone.
Every other ******* decision that went Abletts way: Whoever the coach for the umpires is needs to take those umpires out to an oval and show them "This is the centre square. It is 50m long by 50m wide. If a player runs even half that distance without bouncing the ball, he has run too far. You need to blow your whistle and pay a free kick to the team without the ball. Whats that? No not even God Jr is allowed to do that. OK now we will move on to how far the ball must travel before you can pay a mark. Sorry? Yes, this rule applies to Gary Ablett Jr too". Seriously, the bloke is good enough as it is, he does not need extra help from the umpires, i'm certain he was embarrassed at the assistance he got. And Denise Cometti. "The fans pay good money to see Ablett play" No the fans pay good money to see 44 people play a game of AFL, not 3 men in fluro yellow gift a game to some bald headed numpty on a silver ******* platter.:mad::mad::mad:

So in summary: Go Dees. Go Jones/Frawley/Dawes. PLEASE go sort your s**t out Watts and come back a superstar. Go get fit and ready to play Gawn, Garland, Hogan and Jamar. GAGF umpiring in that game, woefull

Last edited:
Interesting that he admitted it though. Like he said in the presser he's still learning about the group and what they can offer. To be honest I'd rather him admit his mistake and move on than pretending he is always right.

Its refreshing honestly isnt it, He could easily have said Tyson had a knock and they were monitoring him but instead he admitted his mistake

Fugly:

Everyone going on about how if the GC had kicked more accurately they'd have smashed us by ten goals. I know there's more to it than the conversion rate (momentum at the time in the game they missed them, etc) but they kicked the same number of goals as we did and had 8 more behinds. If they'd converted their scoring shots at the same rate (about 47 percent) we did they'd have won by another 19 points. Not exactly a thrashing. Especially when you factor in the disgraceful umpire-assisted momentum shift against us in the fourth. Most of the GC missed shots on goal in the first and second quarter were just repetitive pings on goal after we failed to rebound as well. I'm pretty sure we were winning the centre clearances by a fair bit.

Fugly:

Everyone going on about how if the GC had kicked more accurately they'd have smashed us by ten goals. I know there's more to it than the conversion rate (momentum at the time in the game they missed them, etc) but they kicked the same number of goals as we did and had 8 more behinds. If they'd converted their scoring shots at the same rate (about 47 percent) we did they'd have won by another 19 points. Not exactly a thrashing. Especially when you factor in the disgraceful umpire-assisted momentum shift against us in the fourth. Most of the GC missed shots on goal in the first and second quarter were just repetitive pings on goal after we failed to rebound as well. I'm pretty sure we were winning the centre clearances by a fair bit.
Its fair to say that if we had kicked more accurately we would have smashed GC by 10 goals. Think i read in the review that 2 of GC behinds were rushed. Don't know how many of ours were rushed but blaming a loss or a close win on poor kicking and saying oh if we kicked straight. Well you didn't so you lost/just snuck over the line

Its fair to say that if we had kicked more accurately we would have smashed GC by 10 goals. Think i read in the review that 2 of GC behinds were rushed. Don't know how many of ours were rushed but blaming a loss or a close win on poor kicking and saying oh if we kicked straight. Well you didn't so you lost/just snuck over the line
Exactly. It's as though kicking for goal isn't an important part of the game. And it's more complicated than it seems; things like defensive pressure and where the opposition forces you to take shots from (flanks or straight in front) are more influential forces on inaccurate kicking than just bad kicking.

Good:
- Jones, Cross, M.Jones, Dawes, Howe
- Despite having a lot of average players - we managed to be right in the game

Bad:
- Our defenders, * me.
- Watts, get him back in the midfield - he had a very poor game, needed to want the ball more.
- Viney, Terlich, Grimes, Spencer, Jetta - 0 tackles....
- Roosy - think he tried to be a bit too fancy this week... Pedo back forward, Dunn down back when they'd been playing quite well in the opposite place... Watts way too much time forward when we were lack outside runners

Fugly:
- Terlich, learn to make a decision
- McDonald, followed a great game last week with a shocker this week - was regularly out of position.
- Dunn, really poor effort in general
- Pedo, get him back in defence
- Spencer, useless
- Georgiou, liability - I know he tries hard but he can't make a decision under pressure and didn't even halve contests yesterday
- McKenzie, for a guy who gets a game based on his effort - it wasn't there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
- McDonald, followed a great game last week with a shocker this week - was regularly out of position.
Interesting the AFL stats gave him 7 marks and 10 one percenters. That is a contribution. And nowhere near the worst in effective disposals. Your other point about Pederson was telling, McDonald was often caught with a couple of the GC big forwards (and they are pretty big) without Garland to chop out or Pedo last week. Dunne and Tom Mac did not work together anywhere near as well.

Interesting the AFL stats gave him 7 marks and 10 one percenters. That is a contribution. And nowhere near the worst in effective disposals. Your other point about Pederson was telling, McDonald was often caught with a couple of the GC big forwards (and they are pretty big) without Garland to chop out or Pedo last week. Dunne and Tom Mac did not work together anywhere near as well.
Even in the one on ones McDonald was getting outworked easily by Lynch. His positioning in contests all day was pretty bad. Looked okay when the ball was on the ground but anything into the 50 in the air he was extremely liable to mess it up.

Good:
- Small loss despite playing badly for most of the day
- Dawes, Jones, Frawley were all great all game
- Cross and Viney were good too
- JKH had a bit of spark about him, though made some silly errors.
- Grimes was good defensively I thought. Spoiled and pressured well.
Bad:
- Played, generally, like poo for most of the day
- Lacked speed it seemed. GC killed us on the spread.
- Spencer. I love the bloke; he's a trier and works his guts out, but his ruckwork is atrocious. Half of his hitouts went straight to a GC player. Obviously the mids have to be in sync with him too, but a lot of the time he just missed them by belting the ball wherever.
- TMcDonald was ordinary. Those GC forwards are very big though.
FUGLY:
-DECISION MAKING. ******* ATROCIOUS. Guys 'playing on' by handballing to a flatfooted teammate, or while lying on the ground (JKH did this in the last after getting a free about 60 out. Bomb it in FFS!). Just asking for trouble there. Also a huge lack of 'game sense'. Guys held it up and went back from a mark when they had beaten their man/were in space/should've taken the game on; then try and play on quickly when in traffic or when under pressure. The kickout strategy regressed to having Spencer stand on one side of the 50 and bombing it to him. Need to mix it up a bit more than that. Then there were the terrible spoils where we should've been able to knock the ball over but somehow it was kept alive. Players when outnumbered and near the line just need to fumble it over/take the tackle and be taken out, not knock it back in to a 3 on 1 their way. Also the chipping it around and into the pockets. Dawes and Frawley are good at making a contest. JKH and Bail are alright crumbers/tacklers and can lock it in. Go to the top of the square more often.
- The Ablett decision. Woeful.
- Kicking at goal. Dawes had a terrible set shot routine when he shanked those 2 in the 2nd. Take more than 3 steps FFS!
- Watts. I'm usually more generous with him and think he's judged harshly, but he was pissweak yesterday. No 2nd efforts ever and even his 1st efforts were pretty inept most of the time

Good:
Jones: Nuff said.
Dawes: just saying his name makes me tingle, seems to be a lot like Clarke maybe not the best finisher but he just wants the ball... Best decision from the Neeld era. Really liked how he had a shot on goal after the siren at 1/2 time. Was like he recognised his goal compass was out and tried to zero it back in.
Frawley: Looks soooo good up forward, his leads, his hands and OMG HIS SPEED!!! That 1,2 with Dawes in the 2nd
Viney, Cross, Dunn, JKH Pedo: I thought they all played very commendable games and JKH with the courage to get his head taken off and get back up grab his head off the ground and chase the ball:thumbsu::thumbsu:. A few players could learn from that
Roos: After watching games last year i didn't realise you could change the game plan at half time if its not working. This man will take us places
Ablett: I know the good is usually reserved for Dees, but there is no denying this man is good
We're one week closer to having Gawn, Hogan and Jamar back
Bad:
Terlich: WTF? Turnovers kill us. Hell turnovers hurt the good teams and we're far from that. Was lucky not to get subbed out.
Centre clearances: I feel for Spencer I really do. Has a big tank and tries all day but he needs someone to learn off and to chop out with.
Tyson: Quiet start to the game but i thought he seemed to pick up a bit before being subbed off. Although i don't doubt there was a reason
Jones v Ablett/AFLs most underrated player v AFLs most overrated player: The intention was good, Jones shut down Murphy while having a good game of his own last week but Murphy has been playing very poorly lately and Jones just did his own thing. Ablett is not having a poor time of it lately and shutting him down is a job in itself, Jones on Ablett just tied up our best player, they both still had an impact but it was reduced. I think McKenzie on Ablett while Jones on Prestia would have been a better combo (which i think Roos swapped to at the major break)
THAT decision:mad:: Really hurt us, we had a lot of momentum our way and although 1 goal less wouldn't have won us the game. I think it played a big part in losing it.

Ugly:
Watts: Probably more deserves to be in the bad, but it's his potential and more so his consistent failure to realise it that drops him down to ugly. Sorry but its just been 1 too many games of "He's just lost" "Give him another game, he's good enough for it" VFL and if he doesn't work to return to AFL. **** off to NBA. I just want him to WORK.
Our kickouts: The same thing over and over. Bomb it to the right hand pocket and hope for the best.
Communication: On more than one occasion it was an issue but the Dawes shot on goal sticks out the most. Had time and space to run right to the square and boot it through but rushed a snap around the body. Maybe i'm being harsh but no one told him to run it in. This leads onto...
Support: Once again it was an issue more than once but it was Dawes (GOD i :hearts: that man) that stuck out in my mind. 3 on 1 in the forward pocket and had a red hot crack at it, but where the **** were the players marking the other two? Oh here they come trotting over near on a minute later. Too late the balls gone.
Every other ******* decision that went Abletts way: Whoever the coach for the umpires is needs to take those umpires out to an oval and show them "This is the centre square. It is 50m long by 50m wide. If a player runs even half that distance without bouncing the ball, he has run too far. You need to blow your whistle and pay a free kick to the team without the ball. Whats that? No not even God Jr is allowed to do that. OK now we will move on to how far the ball must travel before you can pay a mark. Sorry? Yes, this rule applies to Gary Ablett Jr too". Seriously, the bloke is good enough as it is, he does not need extra help from the umpires, i'm certain he was embarrassed at the assistance he got. And Denise Cometti. "The fans pay good money to see Ablett play" No the fans pay good money to see 44 people play a game of AFL, not 3 men in fluro yellow gift a game to some bald headed numpty on a silver ******* platter.:mad::mad::mad:

So in summary: Go Dees. Go Jones/Frawley/Dawes. PLEASE go sort your s**t out Watts and come back a superstar. Go get fit and ready to play Gawn, Garland, Hogan and Jamar. GAGF umpiring in that game, woefull
Great post butters :)

The good;
Nathan jones, as always
Viney back to back games.
Frawley and Dawes up forward

The Bad;
Kick ins and kicking in general (terlich)
The second quarter lapse

The Ugly;
The goal review to Frawley
The ablett free kick

He's not a kid, he's 24. Smells like Nicho/Terlich - bloke who does ok in his first year because he has no weight on him.

I like Georgiou, he is strong, seems to rarely get beaten in one on ones, and he plays within his abilities and goes the percentages, unlike Nicho and Terlich he doesn't go for kicks he will never make. At this stage I'd have him fringe 22. At worst provides good depth once Garlo and Hogan are in.

I like Georgiou, he is strong, seems to rarely get beaten in one on ones, and he plays within his abilities and goes the percentages, unlike Nicho and Terlich he doesn't go for kicks he will never make. At this stage I'd have him fringe 22. At worst provides good depth once Garlo and Hogan are in.

Hasn't seemed that way the last couple of weeks.... crumbles under pressure as well.

But he'll keep improving, I can see him as a reliable back up player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back