Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson interview- thought the score line flattered the Hawks.

Both sides blew their chances.

Cats controlled the game a fair bit.

Hawks got a wake-up call.

Geelong outplayed the Hawks inside and outside, and got good supply to Hawkins.

Cats good defence.

Hawthorn *laughs* "were the 'standouts' but there might be a few chasing them now"

It's the Cats' outstanding system that keeps them near the top of the ladder. Doesn't know why people keep writing us off. We just keep replacing great players with other players who just keep playing the same role.

I don't mind listening to Clarkson- especially after we win- as he is very gracious after a loss. Just hate the little angry man himself, though.

Loving the season so far, not playing perfect footy but everyone bobbing up and having their moment. We'll have a bad moment or two, but someone will wrestle the momentum back. It's a bit of an immeasurable thing but the team spirit looks its best for a long time. The guys are playing with so much feeling, it's great to watch.

We probably could have won by more, a few missed shots and opportunities squandered. I like it when we keep the foot on the throat and don't let up. There was mostly good, and just a little bad Stevie J today, but I loved how he settled down when it counted at the end, went back and slotted that one. It obviously meant a lot to him. Some patchy moments from Selwood which was unusual but he's only human (I think!?). But he like just about everyone else on the day did a little bit to help.

And how good is Enright, a wily old fox wobbling those couple through.

You can definitely have your home and away wins. And you qualifying non elimination final. Take them all seriously. Hawks are about silverware.

KOLOKOTRONIS

KOLOKOTRONIS has a bad case of the Jimmy's

You can definitely have your home and away wins. And you qualifying non elimination final. Take them all seriously. Hawks are about silverware.

KOLOKOTRONIS
its lucky home and away wins and loses have no bearing on the season or finals series etc. i dont know why we even bother with them to be honest, might as well just play a cats v. hawks GF each year, which, based on some sort of psycho analysing by the former vic premier means the hawks will win every time.

Tsk tsk tsk, I come back to BF, surprised to see some genuine Hawks congratulations, then only to find ferals foaming at the mouth and trying to convince us they're the best team, when they clearly got outclassed by a good team (not clearly our bestest team ever, given Motlop, Caddy and Menzel are all out).

Go back to your "man" caves and have a good hard think about what would have happened if Motlop, Caddy and Menzel had been able to play.

It's a good read. ;)
It's hilarious! It's all 'We're still Geelong's bitch!', 'One curse ended + another has started!', 'They didn't allow us any space!'. Good giggle!

Tsk tsk tsk, I come back to BF, surprised to see some genuine Hawks congratulations, then only to find ferals foaming at the mouth and trying to convince us they're the best team, when they clearly got outclassed by a good team (not clearly our bestest team ever, given Motlop, Caddy and Menzel are all out).

Go back to your "man" caves and have a good hard think about what would have happened if Motlop, Bundy, Caddy and Menzel had been able to play.
EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, they were saying he might have only had 2 touches to half time, but they were 'really good' ones. which means that varcoes 3 touches including a goal to that time must have been out of this world!
Just after I posted that, the Fox boys were summing up their favourite moments in the game and one asked Dermie- "Cyril's 7 touches in the game?" :)
my apologies- I was wrong. I thought he'd only had 2 :(
Cyril- 7 disposals, 1.1, 5 tackles, 5 contested possessions
Varcoe- 10 disposals, 1.0, 5 tackles, 0 contested possessions. (Edited)

Last edited:
I suppose knock out finals have more significance.. They sting more

89 91 2000 2008 2013

KOLOKOTRONIS

What about 1963? Or I imagine by your logic that doesn't count because it was too long ago. You'll bend it whichever way suits your argument. 08 is the only one of those years you weren't the better team.

If we were fortunate enough to play you in 07 finals, 09 or 11 Grand Final we would more than likely have eliminated you each time. I was actually barracking hard for the Hawks against the Pies in the 2011 Prelim, so confident was I, that we'd flog you in the Grand Final.

GODMODE

Just after I posted that, the Fox boys were summing up their favourite moments in the game and one asked Dermie- "Cyril's 7 touches in the game?" :)
my apologies- I was wrong. I thought he'd only had 2 :(
Cyril- 7 disposals, 1.1, 5 tackles, 4 contested possessions
Varcoe- 10 disposals, 1.0, 5 tackles, 11 contested possessions.
how does that happen?

Did Cyril play?
I genuinely wouldnt have knkwn had it not been for Bruce exploding every time the ball was within 100 metres of him

Good defensively,very ordinary with ball in hand.
It's his 4th/5th? game- thought he was good with the pickups, got to the right places to do the thing but couldn't finish off. Playing in the biggest game of his career. If it had been me- I'd have been chucking on the brown pants before I went out on the field.

Every game he plays, adds to his experience of AFL pressure and none more so than today. I'm happy with the glass half-full with him, in that he's getting his hands on the ball for a start. The clangers should reduce with experience- I hope!

thought rivers was awesome - best game for us
taylor has been down on his standard
two rucks is great
we need walker as chf - burbury does not have the street smarts and is selfish - not laying off to stokes was deplorable and show pony crap
hawkins will cop a week for us winning
great game
love mitch dunc work

how does that happen?
I don't begin to understand how the stats work- but assume maybe he's dropped one or perhaps had it stripped from his hands? Incorrect disposal may go down as a clanger. Not exactly sure without going back to watch every possession. there's often a slight difference between the possessions and disposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back