Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Burbury lacks a lot of polish and composure which is to be expected from a <10 game player. But he and Murdoch are playing a vital role for us down there - the Hawk backmen who usually stroll out of defence at will were under immense pressure today and were found wanting.
Burbury's first game against the Poos+Wees, you could see he was über nervous! Must a have been massive for a <10 gamer to play in such a blockerbuster! I like the way he keeps applying himself.

Just wondering aloud, Rivers has been super impressive so far this year as we know, I wonder if having JK tearing it up in the VFL has put some subconscious pressure on Rivers to perform so he's really stepped up?
Clearly he's a quality player regardless but I just wonder if it's given him that extra 1%.
I watched the footy with my old man today (while mum played with and distracted the rug rat :thumbsu:)
As he said to me 'he's just learning how to play in a good side

Fair point, as he settles in more and more he should get better and better... I was a big rap for him when we got him, is such a good mark.. as he grows into the team he will back himself and know when he can go more and more

Lets say Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo, Sydney as legitimate contenders and Collingwood, West Coast as roughies. May be disrespecting Port and Essendon also.

Weird year mate.
I dont rate the Pies, but they play a hard game.
So they might get up to 5th or so. I only reckon there are 3 certain top 4's. Hawks, Freo, Cats.

It's his 4th/5th? game- thought he was good with the pickups, got to the right places to do the thing but couldn't finish off. Playing in the biggest game of his career. If it had been me- I'd have been chucking on the brown pants before I went out on the field.

Every game he plays, adds to his experience of AFL pressure and none more so than today. I'm happy with the glass half-full with him, in that he's getting his hands on the ball for a start. The clangers should reduce with experience- I hope!
Like i said,good defensively and no questions re effort and intensity.
Hes in the team as a defensive forward,so hes doing half his job at moment.
Lacks a bit of general awareness at moment which can be forgiven,putting it nicely, he is lacking alot of polish with ball in hand.
Considering who we will regain ,Motlop,Caddy,Christansen, Burbury will be back to the Vfl.
Not a dig at him,more an observation of where hes at.

Just back from the match.
Not a great student of the game. But left with impressions.
Rivers played a superb game. So confident at the aerial contest. So glad he was there in the last quarter as Mackie sat down.
Some of the Geelong kids have been taught beautifully by the older warriors. Tremendous courage by the likes of Horlin-Smith and Guthrie at the coalface.
I'd hate to play against SJ. He must be one of the most irritating of opponents.
Geelong's forward line may not be the most talented necessarily but they are prepared to engage in the most brutal of physical encounters. I was right behind the goals at the Hawk cheersquad end and at one point the ball was trapped around the goal square for what seemed like two or three minutes with bodies clashing fiercely. Murdoch is a tough unit. Got hammered in a pack mark and you could see he felt it but he kept right on trucking.

Geelong don't seem to know how to lie down.
I thought when the Hawks surged past us at one stage that they might just keep rolling over us.
But the whole team just kept working and running.
Another notch in the belt for a team that every supporter must be so proud.

Weird year mate.
I dont rate the Pies, but they play a hard game.
So they might get up to 5th or so. I only reckon there are 3 certain top 4's. Hawks, Freo, Cats.

Swans will mount a challenge. Don't worry about that. Great list and home ground advantage. Too good not to finish top.4

I think Burbs was average around goal but he was good up the ground. I think he is a high half forward who is great on the lead and is great at turning his opponent around if the ball goes over the back. Watch some VFL highlights of him and he gets a lot of his goals running back towards goals rather that snapping and sneaking goals. In my opinion (not so qualified) he is not a 1st class crumber, but we have limited options atm. Mots and Bundy will change this and change Georges role later in the year??
Good post- obviously you've watched a fair few VFL games. nobody gets a chance in the AFL without proving themselves in the VFL first. If he's not got things quite right, he'll be back there double quick time to learn his role again. He's a clever guy and a great judge of the ground ball, I feel. Baby steps- Game 4...

Well played guys, too good on the day....Has to be said....You play a more accountable brand of football & you've Still got our number.

Scott outcoached Clarko yet again....Becoming a broken record THAT!....Clearly, we got lucky last year!....Simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on the win. Just too good in the end. Outplayed us basically all game. Hard to be too angry after these games, as they always make for good viewing. Good luck for the rest of the year.
Watching Hodge and Johnson dance is worth the price of admission alone.

Like i said,good defensively and no questions re effort and intensity.
Hes in the team as a defensive forward,so hes doing half his job at moment.
Lacks a bit of general awareness at moment which can be forgiven,putting it nicely, he is lacking alot of polish with ball in hand.
Considering who we will regain ,Motlop,Caddy,Christansen, Burbury will be back to the Vfl.
Not a dig at him,more an observation of where hes at.
Yeah, fair enough, too- spots in the frontline will be tight. Hope he can get a few more cracks at it.

i think walker should come in for burbury in the same role
if conversion is an issue - burbs offered nothing there today
smedts will have him covered this year

For anyone who likes a good omen.

In 2011 we started 4-0
I flew overseas on Good Friday
We beat hawthorn by 19 points on Easter Monday
I returned and we were 13-0
Flag time baby

In 2014 we started 4-0
....I like where this is going

Well, that was a fantastic contest, yet again. It was a definite arm wrestle a lot of the time, with fierce pressure from both sides. From my vantage point up in the oxygen mask seats: SJ and Hawk were outstanding; Rivers and HMac very impressive; Stokes, Trav and Duncan also. Harry came into his own as the game went on. Sel was kept relatively quiet by his standards for a lot of it, but as always demonstrated that you can't keep him quiet forever. And the kids worked hard, notwithstanding some errors and clangers now and then, but no doubt will be better for the experience. It's the only way you learn, after all.

Is anyone likely to be at risk of the tender mercies of the MRP, do you think?

For anyone who likes a good omen.

In 2011 we started 4-0
I returned and we were 13-0
Flag time baby

In 2014 we started 4-0
....I like where this is going

Stay where you are until we are 13-0!!!!!

True to my word I think I'm still drunk! Awesome work cats! Love my footy club - special shout out to my boy Tom! Legend dragged us over the line! woohooo go cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back