Review AFL Round 5 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win guys. Best game of the round to watch.

i was very impressed with him have 10 touches, 11 of which were contested. less impressed now. :(
awww- terribly sorry!! I can't even blame the iPhone for that one 'cos I can only read those stats on the computer!! Perhaps I got just a little bit over-excited, thinking he had 11 contested possessions, that I didn't bother to check those unrealistic stats!

Moral of the story? If it sounds unbelievable, it probably definitely is! ;)

I suppose knock out finals have more significance.. They sting more

89 91 2000 2008 2013

KOLOKOTRONIS

If knock out finals have more significance, why are you mentioning 1991 since we played in the prelim the week after? If 1991 counts, then 2011 surely does too. Muppet.

Mitch Duncan and Jared Rivers were brilliant today. Loved the effort from the guys when it looked like the Hawks were going to run over the top of us at the start of the final term. Amazing that this team is still so good, 7 years after they won the 2007 flag!

Good choice for watching. Maybe give the Hawks trollers a little time to think of something witty and come back to enjoy their illogical ramblings.

I'm waiting until they decide to majorly invade our board with their foaming at the mouth rants. Unless they've changed since '08. I doubt they have, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

If knock out finals have more significance, why are you mentioning 1991 since we played in the prelim the week after? If 1991 counts, then 2011 surely does too. Muppet.

Good pick up. Ok remove 91... Anyway, you can't compare the hawks to the cats historically. We respect you guys though.. You are getting there. Need another 5 decades of flags though.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Good choice for watching. Maybe give the Hawks trollers a little time to think of something witty and come back to enjoy their illogical ramblings.

I'm waiting until they decide to majorly invade our board with their foaming at the mouth rants. Unless they've changed since '08. I doubt they have, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
That's why I posted the Excuse Thread. They can do their worst there.

That's why I posted the Excuse Thread. They can do their worst there.

Yeah, but as we already have established, Hawks supporters are dumb. You make a nice thread for them to post their excuses in, and they ignore it (or minimally post in it compared to another thread they have decided to froth in).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re T Hunt, if I was out there I'd be trying my arse off too, but that doesn't mean I should be out there. I'm not up to the level. Neither is Taylor Hunt.

Burbury was pretty average today too, but I'd be giving him a bit more rope given how few games he's played. It worries me a bit how he keeps finding inventive ways to miss goals.

HMac, Rivers, Tomahawk, SJ - awesome! Having HMac & Simpson in the side this year has made a HUGE difference.

A special mention to a few outside those deservedly getting all the plaudits:

Big Hamish who many of us thought was an expensive mistake. Not that he couldn’t play. More that he wouldn’t play. Tick! Also, had misgivings about Rivers. You measure players on their performances when it counts and today – Tick!

The coaching panel who so often get panned here. Although CS said we didn’t do much different today in his post game presser, I thought the manner in which Gibson, Roughhead and Rioli in particular were rendered ineffective – Tick! Also, the manner in which we worked over the Hawks use of the short outlet pass. Tick!

And my man crush- Boris. Please don’t retire. EVER!

Imagine if Selwood played his normal game, imagine if Caddy was bulldozing.
Duncan played the Selwood role today.
H-Mac just repaid back 2013.
Walker played his best game since joining the Cats and Hawkins was pretty good too.
Don't know about that, he didn't do too much in the last it was Walker that got us over the line:p

A special mention to a few outside those deservedly getting all the plaudits:

Big Hamish who many of us thought was an expensive mistake. Not that he couldn’t play. More that he wouldn’t play. Tick! Also, had misgivings about Rivers. You measure players on their performances when it counts and today – Tick!

The coaching panel who so often get panned here. Although CS said we didn’t do much different today in his post game presser, I thought the manner in which Gibson, Roughhead and Rioli in particular were rendered ineffective – Tick! Also, the manner in which we worked over the Hawks use of the short outlet pass. Tick!

And my man crush- Boris. Please don’t retire. EVER!
Might unlike this so I can like it all over again! Agree totally with those ticks, AM.
Nobody was going to doubt Hamish- not after he spoke out openly about not getting onto the park last year. He was SO proud to wear the hoops and said something about working his hardest to repay the club's faith in him. Double tick for him, I would say :) Now he just has to stay fit for the season so we can get these Hawks in the finals!

Well off to the Dawks board for a giggle....
Can save you a bunch of time.

Umpires
Selwood ducks
Umpires
Holding back something for later in the year
Umpires
Never beat "When it matters"
Umpires
Just wait for Lake and Schoenmakers.
Umpires

There you go

Oh Bobby!! Banned??? Dear me- I'll miss your posts. How long does a ban last?

Simply unable to resist going on the Hawks Board.
And he wasn't even polite, either.

But talking of the Hawks Board, here's a ripper:

1. I would like to know how Geelong constantly get away with holding the man. Happens consistently with them yet they always get away with it.
2. Why do we not play a constant forward line against the cats. Make them defend rather than push all our forwards up so their defenders can attack. Even just leave 1 forward in the 50.
Cheney fought well but was unlucky in the last when the delivery was good to Hawkins and nobody was there to help him out.
4. Suckling...one of the weakest footballers, absolute front runner and should be put up for trade. His kicking is so average its not funny yet everyone raves about it. Cost us on 4-5 occasions alone from his woeful kicks then he does 1 good one and suddenly he is the messiah.
5. Started to win the clearances when we put Hodge and Burgoyne in the middle, shame it was too late.
6. Lewis has become such a soft footballer, so many time he could go harder but doesn't, not sure why he does that now.
7. Nobody was running to get the switch. We were constantly looking for the switch when nobody was busting an ass to get there.

(The lights are out)
8. Langford was extremely good. Very happy with him and giving it to Hawkins when he could.
9. Hallahan was very good when he came on, still surprised he was the sub. Thought he would have been really suited to the contested style early. Nice goal too.
10. We need Sewell in for Simpkin when fit.
(26 possessions, same as Mitchell)
11. Duryea played well, used his body particularly well and was able to hit targets by foot.
12. Cyril, while he done not much at all a lot of that is down to the fact of Geelong constantly holding him and him not being rewarded a freekick when he should have been.
13. Gunston was fantastic, not sure why we kept moving him up the ground constantly. Play him out of the square, Lonergan can't play when a forward actually leads on him rathern than get into a scrag (...Buddy).
14. Numerous times Mitchell could have run into space for the switch but chose not to. Looked like he didn't want to do the hard yards, instead wanting the easy one which was frustrating.
15. Composure!! We showed it at times where we would be on the edge of our attacking 50 and kick back to slow it down and maintain possession, just didn't happen often enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back