Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't Sinclair the project version of Sinclair? :drunk:

25 soon and in my eyes more of a stop gap than a project tall. Not suggesting he's over the hill by any stretch but how much development is left in him? I meant for Cripps to supplement him anyway not necessarily replace.

Tall forwards who can ruck are an increasingly valuable commodity in the age of flexibility so with that in mind the 198cm Cripps has some appeal.

25 soon and in my eyes more of a stop gap than a project tall. Not suggesting he's over the hill by any stretch but how much development is left in him? I meant for Cripps to supplement him anyway not necessarily replace.

Tall forwards who can ruck are an increasingly valuable commodity in the age of flexibility so with that in mind the 198cm Cripps has some appeal.

I agree with all of that and would have no problem replacing Sinclair with a project. Mostly I just wanted to point out that Sinclair moves like a 19 year old bloke still growing into himself - yet, as you say, he's 25 :D

I think it makes a lot of sense to have a ruckman on the rookie list.

Definitely.

What I find interesting is the list models used by other clubs who are successful for example the Cats, Hawks and Swans. Look at the ruck stocks they have maintained and what it cost them in picks / salary cap and the general quality of the ruck unit:

Cats :

Currently: McIntosh - free agent with injury history, Blicavs - code jumper, Vardy - pick 42, Dawson Simpson pick 34.

Premiership rucks: Trent West pick 31 on traded for pick 41.

Swans:

Currently: M Pick - international code jumper, Nankervis - pick 34 only 21, T Derickx - 27yrs pick 63 delisted free agent, K Tippet - PSD pick whatever (how that wasn't draft tampering I don't know), S Naismith - 22 yrs rookie

Premiership ruckman Pike and S Mumford - pick 57 in the rookie draft and on traded twice.

Hawks:

Currently: D Hale - 1st round pick, McEnvoy - traded in with Savage out, J Ceglar - rookie upgrade

Max Bailey - pick 18

Eagles

Currently - Naitanui - pick 2, Lycett pick 29, Cox ex rookie/ retiring, Sinclair - rookie.

Looking what the successful sides carry and have spent on picks / salary cop on their ruck divisions would be surprised if we invest heavily in ours.

Looking back in the drafts the 2008 draft after Naitanui was a complete disaster.:confused:

Looking back in the drafts the 2008 draft after Naitanui was a complete disaster.:confused:

0.jpg

Brennan and Wilson are the only definite delistings so far for me. I will add to that list before season's end, but judgment is reserved for now.

For mine, McGinnity will need to do a fair bit wrong over the remainder of the season to be delisted. Like it or not, his performances so far this year are a considerable improvement on last year's (not saying much, I know). But you can't deny that 75 games of AFL experience including 5 finals is handy to have on the sidelines. In a perfect world, he would be called upon only in circumstances of injury and where we don't have a young player ready to come in. I'm willing to give a spot on our list for that. I think.

Butler is another one who is handy depth, although he is older and more injury prone. He may find his way into my delisting pile come season's end. If he is let go and Beau retires, there go the last of the 2006 heroes. Can't let sentimentality get in the way of hard decisions though. At least with Ellis and Wellingham we can say that we still have premiership players on our list.

Hill is a hard one. Does he have any trade value at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brennan and Wilson are the only definite delistings so far for me. I will add to that list before season's end, but judgment is reserved for now.

For mine, McGinnity will need to do a fair bit wrong over the remainder of the season to be delisted. Like it or not, his performances so far this year are a considerable improvement on last year's (not saying much, I know). But you can't deny that 75 games of AFL experience including 5 finals is handy to have on the sidelines. In a perfect world, he would be called upon only in circumstances of injury and where we don't have a young player ready to come in. I'm willing to give a spot on our list for that. I think.

Butler is another one who is handy depth, although he is older and more injury prone. He may find his way into my delisting pile come season's end. If he is let go and Beau retires, there go the last of the 2006 heroes. Can't let sentimentality get in the way of hard decisions though. At least with Ellis and Wellingham we can say that we still have premiership players on our list.

Hill is a hard one. Does he have any trade value at all?
Where do you think Wellingham sits at present.
He seems very much out of favour and they might be looking at moving him on if they can't find a role for him or he doesn't harden up before seasons end.

We need high end silky talent on our list to teach the younger players how its done. Even if it was for a 2 year deal, Malceski's experience and intimate knowledge of the Swans culture would be welcome in a club that reeks of mediocrity.

With Cox, Glass and most likely Butler and possibly Waters retiring, we can't let Priddis be the main older role model of our club..

Get Malceski.

From the article , his wife is from WA with strong family ties ..... sounds like its 50/50 staying at Swans or coming West .
I reckon as a free agent he could be expensive but worth it for a few years , Hurn could spend more time in the midfield although he is better at half-back !

Wellingham just needs to tighteng up his game
We need high end silky talent on our list to teach the younger players how its done. Even if it was for a 2 year deal, Malceski's experience and intimate knowledge of the Swans culture would be welcome in a club that reeks of mediocrity.

With Cox, Glass and most likely Butler and possibly Waters retiring, we can't let Priddis be the main older role model of our club..

Get Malceski.

Actually looking at it that way i think it could be a good idea. We have a pretty young list now that Cox and Glass have retired. If we could get 2 years out of him that would be great. Would be good to maybe get him to have a development role after he hangs the boots up.

A defense setup with him would go like this:

Bennell Emac Brown
Malceski Schofield Hurn

With Shep, Rosa & Ellis to rotate through.

wellingham aint going anywhere tracker. Better chance priddis retiring than that happening. Wellingham still has age on his side and hes a lot more talented than half of the squad. Just need to be a lot more harder on the ball and defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back