Finals or Sam Durdin?

Remove this Banner Ad

No one expected us to take Talia. Who knows what would have happened.
Lucas was one of the players linked to us

That's because you couldn't have tricked a bookie into even taking a bet about him being available by our pick. Everybody "knew" that if Talia lasted to Carlton, they'd take him.

But yes, we don't know what would have happened if the situation had been different. I'm just saying that us moving two picks doesn't mean we'd have gotten the player who went at that pick.

Drafting is absolutely not a science;

BUT;

You have a much better chance of getting it right the higher your pick is.

Also - it's the difference between a higher second round pick as well. That carries weight in trade month and is often the difference in getting a player you had on your list for the first round who slips.

2 or 3 spots makes a huge difference in the draft, no doubt. Unless you're Melbourne. Then it makes no difference.

That's because you couldn't have tricked a bookie into even taking a bet about him being available by our pick. Everybody "knew" that if Talia lasted to Carlton, they'd take him.

Absolutely. Says something about what everybody knows :)

But yes, we don't know what would have happened if the situation had been different. I'm just saying that us moving two picks doesn't mean we'd have gotten the player who went at that pick.

It does guarantee that you would be very unlikely to get who you got a couple of picks earlier. Sure it doesn't mean we'd have gotten Howard and Jacobs (the latter apparently we were into big time though); it does mean we'd not have gotten Talia or Smjth though

It does guarantee that you would be very unlikely to get who you got a couple of picks earlier. Sure it doesn't mean we'd have gotten Howard and Jacobs (the latter apparently we were into big time though); it does mean we'd not have gotten Talia or Smjth though
I may be missing your point here, but I don't think it means this at all.

I may be missing your point here, but I don't think it means this at all.

Ok. My point is this higher picks are worth more than lower picks and every rung is valuable.

Pick 9 is never, ever worth the same or more than pick 7.
Never. And arguing what someone does to enhance or diminish they value when using it could not have less relevance.

Ok. My point is this higher picks are worth more than lower picks and every rung is valuable.

Pick 9 is never, ever worth the same or more than pick 7.
Never. And arguing what someone does to enhance or diminish they value when using it could not have less relevance.
Collingwood will pick their father son player before us provided we win tomorrow so there isn't much of a difference really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we ended up with Durdin now id be sad. Lever please.

Well yeah, obviously, pick 7 is worth more than pick 9, no question there.

The actual question is how much more is it worth? Would the difference between picks 7 and 9 be worth more to the club than the experience of a finals match?

Potentially a lot more.

We've had plenty of "experience building" making up the numbers - its been worth crap all to us.

Happy with pick 9-10 tbh. You get a quality player nevertheless. If we develop the well it won't matter what pick we got em.

I don't reckon we'll pick Pickett.
I think we would. Kightmares take on him.
9. Jarrod Pickett (WA – Mid)
Height:179cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Draft range: 5-20
Best position/role: Wing.
Strengths:
Speed – No one in this draft has the speed of Pickett. He tests at 2.8 seconds over 20m but the critical thing with Pickett is that he uses that speed in game and often with his ability to take on the game with ball in hand special as something he does frequently every game.
Linebreaking ability and tendency to take on the game every time the opportunity is there –With Pickett while he’s got the elite speed the critical thing is he uses it in game better than just about anyone in the country and he has a rare ability to take on and inject energy into the game and break the lines and do it frequently and he just has that natural sense for when he can take advantage of his linebreaking gift and use it in game. He’s incredibly hard to tackle with his balance and agility allowing him to dodge and weave past guys and continue running. I really enjoy his tendency after a mark or whenever the opportunity is there to work out quickly that he has the opportunity and then he’ll take off generating some instant offense and meaningful drive through his meaningful ability to break the lines at speed rather than just going back behind the mark and moving the ball forward slowly which doesn’t generate as many meaningful scoring opportunities as what Pickett does. Pickett really understands he can impact games with his linebreaking ability and he sums up the right opportunities to use it and he’ll break the lines for 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m, 60m and will go as long as you give him the space in front of him to run into.
Ability to hit the scoreboard and ball use –Pickett as an outside type can really hit the scoreboard in bunches and on a wing and is more than capable given his junior goal scoring totals in WA of averaging more than a goal a game at AFL level. He’s a very good finisher around goal, knowing where the goals are and is a significant threat running into an open goal and on the run into the forward 50. As a ball user Pickett is very clean by both hand and foot and hits his targets consistently and overall is an above average ball user. He’s also an excellent kick on the move at speed and even probably a slightly better ball user on the move than he is after a mark seeming to find some better targets while he’s on the move. Pickett can at times make the occasional decision making error, mostly this seems to be after a mark and he can also similarly after a mark also lack the vision to find some better placed targets tending to go long down the line on most occasions.
Ability to find and win the footy – Often with the most damaging outside types it’s rare that they can find the footy in bunches and while Pickett isn’t an elite accumulator he’s still a good accumulator for an outside type which is really critical and greatly adds to his value because he’s someone where he’ll do great damage with his touches and through finding it a lot also will break the lines with frequency rather than only occasionally which is what makes him a real top quality prospect. He’s also not allergic to winning the contested footy as many similar outside linebreakers are and while he’ll remain predominantly outside, winning the contested footy is something he can still do to a good level for an outside type and these two signs for me are the big factors when you add that to his offensive gifts and linebreaking ability suggests to me he has a big future ahead of him at AFL level because you know he’ll find enough of it to be relevant and do damage and break games open often.
Ability overhead and at ground level – Pickett has strong hands overhead and seems to consistently take his marks. He’s also got the cleanness at ground level to pick up the footy, often on the move and just continue going at speed. He can occasionally fumble slightly but overall he’s clear and reads the bounce well, getting onto it at speed and winning the footy and reacting and reading the bounce quickly and consistently.
Weaknesses:
Defensive running – At this stage Pickett is a one way offensive runner and while he’ll give maximum effort running and carrying the ball he seems to take it easier on the other side of the ball and to an extent seems to conserve his energy which is a habit he’ll have to break at the next level if he wants regular senior games.
What I expect will improve:
Pickett’s defensive running will surely improve but otherwise I see Pickett largely improving on his strengths and transferring those strengths into an AFL setting and continuing in the most part to do what he does.
Who he can become?
I see Pickett developing into something pretty similar to Lewis Jetta. He doesn’t have as much penetration on his kick but otherwise I feel Pickett’s numbers and ability to impact games with his line breaking ability to be relatively similar.
When will he be ready to play?
Pickett has the ability to receive some senior games from season one. He’s not round one ready and will likely need to prove himself first in the 2s for a team but with the linebreaking ability and energy he can inject into games he’s someone I imagine a team would feel compelled to give senior games to at some point. By season two or three I imagine Pickett will then establish himself in the best team.
How to best utilise him?
Pickett is best utilised on a wing as a linebreaker.
Interpretation of his numbers:
Pickett’s numbers have been strong through the U18 champs for these past couple of seasons and he’s also performed well in the WA colts, reserves and seniors. He’s hitting the scoreboard regularly, finding strong numbers and also showing he can win some of his own ball which are all strong indicators that his game can transfer to senior AFL level. All his numbers when you look at that and consider the way he plays his footy. He’s got a strong career ahead of him and has the opportunity to be a real difference maker for a team.

No one expected us to take Talia. Who knows what would have happened.
Lucas was one of the players linked to us

Is what you're saying here that if we'd picked 2 spots earlier in the 09 draft when Lucas was still available we might have taken him, rather than Talia?

And if so, doesn't that just demonstrate that it's not necessarily the case that having a pick 1-2 spots higher will bet you a better player than one a bit lower?

The difference between Smith and Ben Jacobs was not the difference between picks 13 and 15. It was the difference between a good pick and a shit pick.

Wherever we pick there will be plenty of good players available. We just need to make sure we pick one of them.

Not sure about Pickett to be honest, bit on the fence about him as I have seen some conflicting reports of him; still 2.8 second 20 is almost as quick as myself thru Dan Murphys on a Friday night. Him and Smith on the flanks would allow us to set up a slightly different game plan to other teams

Im the same, ive heard conflicting reports but havnt seen anythung personally. But based on that write up he sounds pretty handy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back