Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The afl media heavies in Melbourne are just glad to have something other than the supplement scandal to go on about so they are digging their claws into this story and milking it for what's worth. The dust will settle. Look at Lyon and freo a few yr ago. That rings a bit similar to me...
How would the Freo one have looked if they'd replace Harvey with McCartney, Leppitsch, Sumich or some other untried coach?

Our actions make sense if:
a) we have a clear upgrade locked away
or b) we were incompetent when we employed Sanderson in the first place
or c) we were beyond incompetent when we put together the extension

How would the Freo one have looked if they'd replace Harvey with McCartney, Leppitsch, Sumich or some other untried coach?

Maybe d) we cut and run without a lock in. We just prefer to end tenure over anything else.
Maybe all of these in some form, lol..

oh s**t.

Maybe d) we cut and run without a lock in. We just prefer to end tenure over anything else.
Maybe all of these in some form, lol..
Yeah, maybe we just thought he's not the one, got to go no matter what.

In which case we're flying blind!

You are obviously looking in the wrong places ;)
Don't you know that 90% of people on the internet are men, and 10% are men pretending to be women. ;)

Honestly I'm so sick of hearing ex-Geelong people going on and on about Sando. Maybe, just maybe not everything Geelong touches turns to gold. Maybe they should spend less time whinging about us and more time worrying about why they have only won 1 out of their last 5 finals.

We have our issues, they have theirs. Now can't they just let it go and let us rebuild our football department. Not everything is about Geelong.

And yet the silence regarding two very key ex-Geelong figures is absolutely deafening IMO.

James Podsiadly and Darren Milburn.

Considering the outrage of other ex-Geelong figures, I find it very interesting that neither have come out and quit in support of their mate.

I would have thought, if they were as "outraged" as the likes of Harley and Thompson, they would have been quick to follow Sando out the club. It's not as if they wouldn't be able to find jobs.

I suspect there is a little more that's been going on than has been let on in the media.

If we are going to go for a former head coach who is still up to speed and working on a good panel, the only one I can think of that I'm comfortable with is Brett Ratten. Is there any others of note?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet the silence regarding two very key ex-Geelong figures is absolutely deafening IMO.

James Podsiadly and Darren Milburn.

Considering the outrage of other ex-Geelong figures, I find it very interesting that neither have come out and quit in support of their mate.

I would have thought, if they were as "outraged" as the likes of Harley and Thompson, they would have been quick to follow Sando out the club. It's not as if they wouldn't be able to find jobs.

I suspect there is a little more that's been going on than has been let on in the media.

I dunno. Maybe.

Could just be that both these guys are looking for long term coaching careers and don't want to burn bridges or create hysteria in the press.

I suspect this is it. It's hard to be too critical of the club in appointing him in the first place except that we didn't do the really ballsy thing and simply go out and get a proven coach with an 'offer they can't refuse'. But taking a punt on a promising assistant is always possibly going to be a hit or miss situation. Dean Bailey was the other half of that equation that made it alright. The extension is the real blue but even then you can understand that, by that stage, they've got a handle on his strengths and weaknesses and think they can capitilise on the former and develop the latter with a bit of carrot and stick. Only nine months later, they realise they miscalculated. The weaknesses are actually getting worse. So they bite the bullet and decide to get rid of him.

There's a lot to like in that decision but it would have been a lot more likeable if they'd got their ducks in a row first and announced the new coach simultaneously with the sacking. Now, maybe they aren't announcing anything yet because it's Clarkson but I won't be holding my breath...actually, I will, because it would be totally awesome if it was him, but I'll bet it's not. Which suggests to me that the sacking decision wasn't a planned thing but something that came to a head and they took the plunge. Now, as you say, we're flying blind. So, it's just a case of fingers crossed, really.

If we pull an experienced, proven coach out of the hat, then bravo. If it's a rookie, then it's all about the team they assemble and there has to be at least one wise old head in there and a fair bit of quality to back it up. While I'm loving hearing that the club finally seems to realise it has to do something to halt the drift, there's a very real chance of us all being underwhelmed by what they come up with. I really really hope that's not the case.

I dunno. Maybe.

Could just be that both these guys are looking for long term coaching careers and don't want to burn bridges or create hysteria in the press.

Perhaps, but it doesn't even have to be done in a way that promotes hysteria. They don't need to hold a press conference, simply a press release saying that in light if recent events, James/Darren have decided to part ways with the AFC.

Or d) Sando position had become untenable and keeping him we would have risked totally unravelling

B) & c) obviously. The Tippett debacle combined with trigg & co ramped up our poor decision making in an effort to show a mediocre financial performance. It was either undeservedly extend sando for 2 years that are already included in the forward budget or add $600k per year to adequately resource the footy dept. The agreed result was $1m deferred into sando's pocket. It was incompetence (Tippett debacle) that got us there, but it was a considered decision to ride it out with sando extended for 2 years and trigg/chappy hoping the same.

It didn't work and the house is being cleaned as we speak.

We're not flying blind. We determined that he's not the one. Terminate him and recruit the best available. It's a safe bet that the next best won't be any worse or reduce our chances of winning another flag. It's not trigg leading the way in the recruitment process these days. We will be better off at round 1 2015 than we we're at the end of 2014. Sando was a spud on many levels and he was blissfully unaware of it. Good for him, at least the year wasn't a complete waste, reckon he hit a pb on the bench.

So we're agreed that the Board made a bad call in extending Sando's contract.

But the same Board are going to make the right decisions now?
I hope so. Slightly different board, with different information.

It was far easier for them to extend his contract then than it was for them to terminate it now. They would have know they were going to cop massive flack for doing a backfilp - makes the decision all the more gutsy.

An outsider has come in with inside information. There has been a power shift and the results are plain to see. The skeletons can remain in the closet, but this is the way we're going to be moving forward. It's pretty simple, the old balance of power is not running the club anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back