Ultimate Glory JON O'RAWK is now a Hourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Great trading once again by Wright. Got a former top-10 pick essentially for pick 19 (or was it 20?). O'Rourke's shown enough to suggest he stands a good chance of being better over the journey than whoever we might end up with through the draft.

What impresses me most is that all our trades seem like fair deals for all parties - GWS would also think they've done okay out of the deal i suspect. I can't think of a time since the Croad or Nathan Thompson trades when we've really bent a team over (and even those were only one sided in retrospect!) I feel like the reputation for fairness we've built up has helped us get a lot of value out of trade period, year after year.

Don't get carried away with the former top 10 tag. This bloke plays like another top 10 pick I know of Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls. This is a huge risk for Wright to take considering he fluffed up our last first round pick.

I'm still more excited about Jed boy than this young upstart, got some work to do to win me over too be honest.

Yep, but we've already got Jed, this ADDS to the team prospects.
Definitely not a slam dunk when you watch the tape, but the club has earned your confidence that they will give him every opportunity to find his ceiling.

watched some highlights and a couple of games and got a feel for how he plays, seems to really dislike the physical side of the game, is not an inside player at all, maybe thats because he has such a slight frame atm

his kicking looks good (as in good kicking style), but isn't always on target(missed alot of targets), but that can be worked on, his handballing is elite, everytime he handballed to someone i was like, "oh well done lad", which took away from how disappointed i was with his kicking and decision-making whilst kicking

seems not up to AFL Speed mentally, but with time might be ok, i felt being under-weight was a mental barrier for him as he really doesn't like any physicality at all, maybe putting on 5-7 kgs will improve his confidence and willingness to be an inside player, plays a bit like I.Smith in that he is exclusively an outside player, this might also be because of his weight atm

just some points i noticed with how he plays

Happy to take our time with this bloke and get him right, seems to have all the attributes for a class player.
In 2016 I'm hoping to see Anderson, Whitecross and O'Rourke playing consistently good senior footy.

Bit puzzled where O'Rourke fits TBH. Watching the video I thought he might possibly be coming in as long-term understudy for Birchall, but he's nowhere near the size. If he's for the midfield, he won't crack our side anytime soon.

What on earth are you on about?

Do you understand how these things work?

Sadly, we've abandoned slavery these days. He is not under contract. If he wants out of GWS, he...is free to leave GWS.

It is in the clubs interest to organise a trade, which they did, to a club prepared to pay well for him.

If he wanted to be a prick, he could have just organised a deal with St Kilda, to get him for nothing in the PSD. He didn't. His club was happy, he was happy, the Hawks are happy.

The only person unhappy about how this was done seems to be you.

I did state I am happy we got him.

Put it this way, 2nd round from 2012 who has done jack and decides to leave Hawthorn, and makes demands on the club about where he wants to go. I am definitely unhappy about that scenario, but it seems to be the way it is done now. I think that sucks.

He's talking about Dayle Garlett

He wasn't our first round pick. We traded that for McEvoy, which was hardly a fluff. The season before I believe we traded our first round pick for Lake. The last player we actually picked in the first round and not traded for was Isaac Smith. What is this pick that Wright has supposedly fluffed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't miss a thing, Steve.;)

i-seent-it-500x315.jpg

Don't get carried away with the former top 10 tag. This bloke plays like another top 10 pick I know of Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls. This is a huge risk for Wright to take considering he fluffed up our last first round pick.

Don't get to carried away with your JON comparison. Richmond can't develop players.

In the last 4 years, we have nailed almost everything and turned late picks into solid quality players. Not since 2006 have we wasted a first round pick.

We will turn this bloke into a quality footballer. He obviously has natural talent more so then most of our first round picks in the last 5 seasons.

Mate I don't know what highlights you were watching but that comparison is chalk & cheese!

I'm not sure why so many have expectations of 20 year old players like O'Rourke having to come in and play 15-20 games. We're the reigning premiers and our depth is great, if O'Rourke plays most of the year at Box Hill next season and has 5 odd games in our senior team, that's fine with me. He'll be developed and brought along much like the rest of our young players.

The great thing about the Hawks is that we look short term, medium term and long term. O'Rourke is medium to long term, much like Hartung, Anderson, O'Brien, etc.

That's not to say he can't be fast tracked, just that we shouldn't call for his head if he doesn't make his HFC debut by Round 3.

Fair call, he could be an absolute spud. It's always a gamble I suppose, and they keep saying it's a very deep draft this year. We seem to be cleaning up more often than not these days, though.

It's got a slightly similar MO to the Gunston trade - we'd obviously been paying attention to him in junior footy and liked the look of him, but he was nabbed before our pick. We've then maintained an interest over a couple of years and snapped him up when the chance arose. The major difference is that Gunston had shown a lot more at the Crows than O'Rourke has at GWS.

He wasn't our first round pick. We traded that for McEvoy, which was hardly a fluff. The season before I believe we traded our first round pick for Lake. The last player we actually picked in the first round and not traded for was Isaac Smith. What is this pick that Wright has supposedly fluffed?
He updated his post the very next post!
He meant our 2nd round pick last year

He updated his post the very next post!
He meant our 2nd round pick last year

I see. Garlett had all the talent in the world but couldn't adapt to the AFL system. Jonathan O'Rourke has talent and seems to have a good attitude. The only issue for him might be hamstrings and whether he will become a good AFL player. He's not a big risk like Garlett though.

Strictly speaking, I think he meant our second pick last year, both our first and second picks last year were second round weren't they, after we traded our first round one?
Really?
Our first pick was Hartung
Our second pick was Garlett
round 1, round 2, doesn't really matter

That's how I read it :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back