Ultimate Glory JON O'RAWK is now a Hourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Why stop there?

Burgoyne had shot knees and was never going to recapture his best form.

Lake was past it.

Ceglar was delisted by Collingwood.

Hale was no good and even Melbourne supporters trolled us.

Spangher.. enough said.
Hate when the media says we are the best at importing players as if they were ready made. Hawthorn has the best development of any side (over the last 4 years or so

One of the reasons I think that JOR will develop into a great player is that at Hawthorn we seem to have an elite coaching staff. I only have limited experience in training but I've observed that, if you can't kick a football at 18 (and I'm assuming you grew up playing AFL), then you probably won't be great by foot ever. I am so impressed with how much Bradley Hill's kicking improved within 2 years, so I'm going to back the Hawks coaches to turn the promise this kid has into on field success.

I tend to find it's the opposite. You can teach anyone to kick regardless of their upbringing, but you can't teach them to be fast/tall/a zen buddhist. Luke McPharlin couldn't kick for toffee when he first came to hawthorn, but he was lightning quick for his height. (he wanted to be an olympic 100 m runner) He's a pretty decent player now.

One of the reasons I think that JOR will develop into a great player is that at Hawthorn we seem to have an elite coaching staff. I only have limited experience in training but I've observed that, if you can't kick a football at 18 (and I'm assuming you grew up playing AFL), then you probably won't be great by foot ever. I am so impressed with how much Bradley Hill's kicking improved within 2 years, so I'm going to back the Hawks coaches to turn the promise this kid has into on field success.

...furthermore Will Langford, despite his father's background, hardly played any footy until his late teens. Fair to say the ongoing development of his foot/hand skills with composure is key to his future, which doesn't appear to be the focus at some clubs. For example astute observers are still shaking their heads that Priddis won the Brownlow with an average disposal efficiency. Obviously the umps place more emphasis on how many times you get the ball as to what you do with it thereafter, which as we know is the opposite mantra at Hawthorn - where 10 kicks at 100% efficiency is the main focus, not 20 kicks at 50%....

Guerra - in no mans land before Clarko turned him into a attacking force down back.
Hale - in the two's and facing football mortality until the Hawks came calling.
Gibson - hardly a world beater and not big enough for a KPB. Then turns into a champion CHB with two Premierships.
Gunston - 19 years old and hardly showed he would be a world beater yet the Hawks went after him aggressively without hesitation and turned him into a HF/ HB utility type running forward who can bob up for multiple goals in big games ! Not sure if there is another team that could have developed him into the gun that he is now.
Burgoyne - Clearence King at Port. Arrived at Hawks with bung knees and the Hawks turned him into a running HBF with pinch hitting in the middle. At another club he would have retired by now cuz he would have been thrown to the middle more than 90% of game time!
Lake - no one wanted touch him with a ten foot pole because he was apparently disinterested and too sooky to play footy at his age and injuries. Ahem ahem, 2 Premeirships, thank you!
Mcevoy - barely played half the games and used sparingly and told to lift his game cuz it doesn't matter if you are a prized recruit you still have to earn your keep and duly played his best football in the first half of GF where the games was won. tick for Hawks development and leadership qualities!

And so on and on.. This will be the same for Frawley and O'Rourke, 'unconditionalls'are a must and they will develop skills that they didn't know they had..we don't poach, we intricately go after needs and make those players better. Anyone else who says other wise can go and suck eggs!

I tend to find it's the opposite. You can teach anyone to kick regardless of their upbringing, but you can't teach them to be fast/tall/a zen buddhist. Luke McPharlin couldn't kick for toffee when he first came to hawthorn, but he was lightning quick for his height. (he wanted to be an olympic 100 m runner) He's a pretty decent player now.
Some truth to this. Langers grew up playing rugby and Brad Hill wasn't the best kick when he joined. My word he's a good kick now.

...furthermore Will Langford, despite his father's background, hardly played any footy until his late teens. Fair to say the ongoing development of his foot/hand skills with composure is key to his future, which doesn't appear to be the focus at some clubs. For example astute observers are still shaking their heads that Priddis won the Brownlow with an average disposal efficiency. Obviously the umps place more emphasis on how many times you get the ball as to what you do with it thereafter, which as we know is the opposite mantra at Hawthorn - where 10 kicks at 100% efficiency is the main focus, not 20 kicks at 50%....
Drat - posted before I did. But yep - Langford (how good could he get??!)

Guerra - in no mans land before Clarko turned him into a attacking force down back.
Gibson - hardly a world beater and not big enough for a KPB. Then turns into a champion CHB with two Premierships.
Gunston - 19 years old and hardly showed he would be a world beater yet the Hawks went after him aggressively without hesitation and turned him into a HF/ HB utility type running forward who can bob up for multiple goals in big games ! Not sure if there is another team that could have developed him into the gun that he is now.
Burgoyne - Clearence King at Port. Arrived at Hawks with bung knees and the Hawks turned him into a running HBF with pinch hitting in the middle. At another club he would have retired by now cuz he would have been thrown to the middle more than 90% of game time!
Lake - no one wanted touch him with a ten foot pole because he was apparently disinterested and too sooky to play footy at his age and injuries. Ahem ahem, 2 Premeirships, thank you!
Mcevoy - barely played half the games and used sparingly and told to lift his game cuz it doesn't matter if you are a prized recruit you still have to earn your keep and duly played his best football in the first half of GF where the games was won. tick for Hawks development and leadership qualities!

And so on and on.. This will be the same for Frawley and O'Rourke, 'unconditionalls'are a must and they will develop skills that they didn't know they had..we don't poach, we intricately go after needs and make those players better. Anyone else who says other wise can go and suck eggs!

You put it perfectly. Out of that whole list, the only players who would have got games at their original clubs in their ideal positions were Burgoyne (prob retired 2 yrs ago), and Frawley. Lake was going to be played in the dogs forward line, and Gunston was no guarantee to deliver on potential. The rest were borderline players at their clubs, and who else would have seen a premiership defender in our no 27?

You put it perfectly. Out of that whole list, the only players who would have got games at their original clubs in their ideal positions were Burgoyne (prob retired 2 yrs ago), and Frawley. Lake was going to be played in the dogs forward line, and Gunston was no guarantee to deliver on potential. The rest were borderline players at their clubs, and who else would have seen a premiership defender in our no 27?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see anyone directly asking for Simpkin.. he really is average at his absolute best. Would settle for a swap of third rounders to be honest.

Can't see anyone directly asking for Simpkin.. he really is average at his absolute best. Would settle for a swap of third rounders to be honest.
There's been reported interest in him, but it sounds more low-key than Gold Coast's Hallahan interest. At least two of Trade Five need to go, or we're delisting them for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back