Traded Rhys Stanley and pick 60 traded for pick 21

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF???

I hope it's 21 for Stanley+22.

He's not as bad as people in this thread are making out, but if we just turned Christensen into Stanley...

EDIT-14 for Stanley+22?

Last edited:
aussierulesrules do you see Stanley as having any potential as a key defender or is he purely a forward?
He actually had some very good games down back early last year, including an 18 disposal, 14 mark game in round 1 of 2013, coming off an injury, and did some very good jobs on the likes of Jeremy Cameron (kept him to 3 kicks and 1 goal, in his AA season), Johnno Patton and Sam Reid, but then Travis Cloke got hold of him one night against Collingwood and you could just see the confidence he had been steadily building on a weekly basis quickly drain out of him before your eyes.

I would have taken him off Cloke about half way through that game, once you could tell Cloke had his measure and that Rhys was losing confidence, as it was possibly just his 7th game in defence in his whole life and Cloke was too big and strong for him, but he was kept on him all night and got a bath (a bit like when Hawthorn kept Zac Dawson on Rocca all game years ago, when Rocca was destroying him) and it pretty much derailed his season.

Had a couple more good games for the rest of that season (one down back, when he kept Liam Jones statless for a half and to 3 kicks and one scoring shot for the game (in a losing team) and one good game up forward), but after that night against Cloke he just never seemed to have the confidence that he was showing earlier in the season, when he was getting plenty of wraps for his play down back, including from the likes of Gerard Healy and Barry Hall, in commentary.

So basically, he was very effective back there if he had a suitable match-up (ie someone physically similar to him- the taller, skinnier, more athletic types) but he was not suited to playing on the "gorillas", who were physically too much for him to handle. His kicking was also extremely useful back there, as his field kicking is elite for someone his size, hence us using him consistently to do our kick-in's when he was playing in defence. His 55m bullet passes were more than handy.

So if he was to be played back there I would be playing him in the Dustin Fletcher type role, where he can use his height, leap and speed to advantage to help out those playing at FB or CHB and to take intercept marks and to then use his outstanding, long and penetrating field kicking to advantage. I wouldn't be using him consistently at FB or CHB.

Up forward, his best role is playing the "lead-up 3rd forward" type role, as very few (if any) are able to keep up with him on the long leads (and his hands are usually good) and he can then wheel around and use his extremely good kicking to advantage. You'd often see Nick Riewoldt slip out the back once Stanley had marked up ahead of him, as he knew Rhys would be able to hit him with a 55-60m penetrating kick that would clear the pack. In your team, it would be Tom Hawkins dropping out the back and being able to stay inside the forward 50 more.

Last edited:

So you think he'll become a quality number 1 ruckman in time? I just query whether he has the physicality (body size) to be that particular type?

His body size is ok, his legs are Jack Watts skinny though, but I'd see him more your taller Ryder/Jeff White type as opposed to your traditional lumberer.

Jack Watts' best performances come in similar situations. As do Lewis Jetta's. No doubt Stanley would do well at Geelong but would you be at all surprised to see him MIA in a final?
No. Doesn't mean he couldn't play well in a final ever, but he is probably more the type to help you get to one, rather than help you win one.

That would be more like it, but I think we'd need slightly more to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the prior rundown on Stanley's game, it was very well written.

I don't mind Stanley but I just can't stomach the thought of Christensen turning into him.

I'd suppose a late pick could be added but I believe the value to be fair at 14 for Stanley+22.

Thanks for the prior rundown on Stanley's game, it was very well written.
You're welcome, I've now added another paragraph to it (the last one), on his best role up forward.

I don't mind Stanley but I just can't stomach the thought of Christensen turning into him.

I'd suppose a late pick could be added but I believe the value to be fair at 14 for Stanley+22.
Yeah, I reckon it would be a case of you not getting enough for Christensen than paying too much for Stanley though. How Brisbane got Christensen for just pick 21 has me a bit befuddled. If they land him and Beams for just picks 5, 21, 25 and Crisp (whoever he is) they ought to be laughing their heads off!

Personally, I wouldn't want to be losing Stanley unless I was certain that we would be getting a Peter Wright or Tom Boyd type in to replace him in that ruck-forward role, as he is very capable of playing it to AFL standard and ought to only get better now that he's got 50 games under his belt and is entering the years when most his sort of size start to really blossom. We won't be giving him away cheaply and I doubt we'll be doing so unless we have a contingency plan.

Last edited:
You're welcome, I've now added another paragraph to it (the last one), on his best role up forward.

Yeah, I reckon it would be a case of you not getting enough for Christensen than paying too much for Stanley though. How Brisbane got Christensen for just pick 21 has me a bit befuddled. If they land him and Beams for just picks 5, 21, 25 and Crisp they ought to be laughing their heads off!

I think we got reamed over Christensen yes.

As much as I don't mind Stanley he's still "mostly" just potential and nearly 24 years old.

I think dropping 8 spots in the draft is about his value imo.

Wrong. We have a few good talls coming through.
None of whom have shown anywhere near enough to suggest that they would be AFL quality in that forward/ruck role that Stanley was playing this season though. Both Hickey and Longer for instance only look suited in the ruck (ditto Holmes and Pierce is ages off and may not be much chop up forward either) and none of the rest are tall enough to be playing consistent ruck time.

I think a lot of people forget before 2013 he was smashed with injuries year after year. Hes probably only put in 3 good preseasons so far and 2 of those came in the last 2 years not surprising he started to improve this year once he strung games together. Good age aswell to start getting over injuries for a big guy. Hes gona hit is prime and be good player the signs are there. Too bad its gona b at the saints

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of whom have shown anywhere near enough to suggest that they would be AFL quality in that forward/ruck role that Stanley was playing this season though. Both Hickey and Longer for instance only look suited in the ruck (ditto Holmes and Pierce is ages off and may not be much chop up forward either) and none of the rest are tall enough to be playing consistent ruck time.
We dont need a ruck/fwd now we have Hickey and Longer. Pierce is coming along very nicely and WILL be an afl quality fwd/ruck. Then we have Lee who also will hit his strides once over injuries. Holmes is more unkown i give u that. But shown very good signs on his first year. W3 also have another nz acadamy player coming through whos already 2 metres tall ar 17yo... were all good.

Yeah I agree that that would be very close to a good deal for both parties if you are keen on him.

Being honest Stanley could explode for us and be the player people have expected for years, but we'd have to gamble on it.

He's in that crucial age bracket we need also, but not the games profile.

I think it's fair as Goddard and/or Marchbank will be available in that range and I assume St.K would be interested?

This only makes sense if a) simpson or hmac are retiring due to injury (likely) and the club sees stanley as a no1 ruck,not a forward who can pinch hit.

Otherwise its stupid as we have blitz/vardy/walker/clark who can all play fwd/pinch hit ruck.

Being honest Stanley could explode for us and be the player people have expected for years, but we'd have to gamble on it.

He's in that crucial age bracket we need also, but not the games profile.

I think it's fair as Goddard and/or Marchbank will be available in that range and I assume St.K would be interested?

Having watched him closely last few years, he definitely improved well this year. Reiwoldt being so mobile has actually been a bit of a downside for other forwards....same happened to Kosi, just never sure where and when to lead cos Roo would get there anyway.

His best game (and it was really good) was when Reiwoldt played on the wing.

Will be better with Hawkins who is more "stay at home"

I reckon he'll go well at Cats, can kick accurately from 60M, really starting to clunk them and has great speed and more than handy in ruck...alot of opinioins on here based on his disappointing years prior....he was much better in a much worse team this year.

Having watched him closely last few years, he definitely improved well this year. Reiwoldt being so mobile has actually been a bit of a downside for other forwards....same happened to Kosi, just never sure where and when to lead cos Roo would get there anyway.

His best game (and it was really good) was when Reiwoldt played on the wing.

Will be better with Hawkins who is more "stay at home"

I reckon he'll go well at Cats, can kick accurately from 60M, really starting to clunk them and has great speed and more than handy in ruck...alot of opinioins on here based on his disappointing years prior....he was much better in a much worse team this year.

Cheers for the insight and welcome to BigFooty!

Losing Christensen for 21 was bad enough. I don't know how I'll be able to take Balme and Scott seriously anymore if they trade 21 for Stanley.

Would be a disastrous trade on our behalf.

Geelong fans see it, opposition fans see it, even saints fans... Surely the GFC can.

I'll reserve judgement as it is still all just speculation, but if this trade eventuates, for the first time in a very long time, there will be some justified critiscm going towards Geelong's list management, and questions will be asked.

CrazyScotty indeed.

We dont need a ruck/fwd now we have Hickey and Longer. Pierce is coming along very nicely and WILL be an afl quality fwd/ruck. Then we have Lee who also will hit his strides once over injuries. Holmes is more unkown i give u that. But shown very good signs on his first year. W3 also have another nz acadamy player coming through whos already 2 metres tall ar 17yo... were all good.

Who-aaaaaare-these-people.jpg

We dont need a ruck/fwd now we have Hickey and Longer. .

Neither is a ruck forward.

Longer struggles to take amrk anywhere...let alone forward with a dedicated defender on him.

Pierce shows promise, but is very young and skinny.

Face it we have no one that can play Stanley's role next year.

Hickey and Longer are both No 1 rucks, and playing both will make us cumbersome.

Jesse White last year, Stanley and Liam Jones (probably) this year.

Optimist; "Do you remember that game he played against.....?"
Pessimist; "Do you remember the 5 games after that?"

Put me down for the second group.

Neither is a ruck forward.

Longer struggles to take amrk anywhere...let alone forward with a dedicated defender on him.

Pierce shows promise, but is very young and skinny.

Face it we have no one that can play Stanley's role next year.

Hickey and Longer are both No 1 rucks, and playing both will make us cumbersome.
OMG! We dont need ruck/fwd because we have Rucks & Tall Forwards. Wtf dont use understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back