Overrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

Camping and 4wd.
It's shocking. You're cold or hot, you can't have a shower, your clothes are creased, you can't sleep properly, there's nothing to do during the day but swim or walk through the (usually) heat... I grew up close to plenty of 'good' places for camping, where it seemed everyone in Perth would come down for at least a week somewhere, but I can count the number of times I went fishing on one hand. The worst. It always brews little shitfights as well. And then you're made to sit there and make up or sit there and hate them forever.

Also, fishing. ******* boring. If I want to sit down for nine hours and chat, I'll go to the pub. If I want to be at the beach, I'd rather swim than stay out the water. If I want to relax, I'll go outside in summer and read a book. Fishing is just so naff. Another thing nature and environment should make me like, but instead make me hate.

Four wheel drives too. Nothing but a status symbol for Sheree to show off to Vanessa down at St Privilege. Never understood the need and never really thought they even looked that good. Like, why do you need to spend that much money on a car? It's cool, spend money on nice things you like and car about, but those things never appealed to me as something their typical suburbanite would see as A Desirable Car. Always hated them, always felt guilty riding in my mate's ones... weird.

^Dad never took him fishing :(

Haha. What did your kids do??

I haven't had them yet but I have seen into the future and it's all bad. I just know I'd either have girls and have to worry about creepy teenage boys/men or I'd have a boy and he'd dislike sport or even worse, become a Man Utd supporter.

Four wheel drives too. Nothing but a status symbol for Sheree to show off to Vanessa down at St Privilege. Never understood the need and never really thought they even looked that good. Like, why do you need to spend that much money on a car? It's cool, spend money on nice things you like and car about, but those things never appealed to me as something their typical suburbanite would see as A Desirable Car. Always hated them, always felt guilty riding in my mate's ones... weird.

My 4WD was way cheaper than my sedan and I use it to go out offroading and/or camping where I also enjoy fishing. We're different people. Haha :)

^Dad never took him fishing :(
My dad hated it too. However, he took me to kick the footy: something, seemingly, many fathers never taught their children in the 1990s. I have a great relationship with my old man, and a couple of freezing cold days in a s**t little tinnie or ones wishing you were in the water instead, wouldn't have added to that. Don't h8 brutha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Songs that tell a story or have hidden messages.

What's wrong with listening to a song and enjoying it or bemoaning its shitness?

Analyse songs based on their quality, not their back story.
What a narrow way to view art.

Surely one of the coolest things about music or a painting or a movie is that however it affects it, that's unique to you. If that means just liking its chorus, sure, whatever. But if it stirs up something a little more intense and gets you thinking, how can you dismiss that? If there's something we need less of, it's dismissing any school of criticism or analytics. Thinking about the way things are is great fun. Maybe you'll even realise Essendon and James Hird are campaigners! Then again, the lowest common denominator culture here renders your argument probably the prevalent one...

I.
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of pouring rain -
Where the only thing you cannot be
Is someone with a brain.

My dad hated it too. However, he took me to kick the footy: something, seemingly, many fathers never taught their children in the 1990s. I have a great relationship with my old man, and a couple of freezing cold days in a s**t little tinnie or ones wishing you were in the water instead, wouldn't have added to that. Don't h8 brutha

Does your dad golf or play bowls? Old dudes either fish, golf or play bowls, no exception.

I agree with basketball and baseball. American Football is superb.
I find American Football similar to Test cricket in the respect that on the surface they both seem ridiculous but when you get into them they far outweigh any other sports.

I mean, a game where you play for 5 seconds then walk around for 10 minutes and have 15 ad breaks before playing for 5 seconds again? Or a game that can go for 5 days and then it can just run out of time and be a draw? Ridiculous.

But patience is a virtue, and you will be rewarded.

Hell one of my favourite events of any sporting year is the 24 Hours of Le Mans. I ensure I have the days of/around it free every year so I can settle in and watch the whole thing.

It's shocking. You're cold or hot, you can't have a shower, your clothes are creased, you can't sleep properly, there's nothing to do during the day but swim or walk through the (usually) heat...
The fact that this is #3 on your list of complaints speaks volumes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back