Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've gotta give it to Murphy for next year surely. They can't risk it with a kid.

Has to be the most likely candidate. Stringer seems like an option for the future but probably not ready. Although I suppose he already has dove into adult responsibilities at a young age. Seems to love the club and they seem to love him.

Whoever the new coach ends up being at the Dogs the incoming appointment will have an exciting young list to take care of. Libba, Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Boyd, Hrovat and Roughead. A fair amount of talent in that group.

LOSERS
Giants' credibility plunge
As sound as the mechanics of the Tom Boyd trade look for GWS, the manner in which the Giants arrived at the deal could set the club back. Backflipping on their furious public and private protestations that Boyd was not up for trade will make it hard for anyone to take anything they say seriously for a while. But it's the message that they sent in letting 2013's No.1 draft pick go home after just one season that could really come back to haunt them. With such a gilt-edged list of youngsters, many of them from Victoria, the Giants have given rival clubs hope that their other young stars can be lured from western Sydney just like Boyd. - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-16/winners-and-losers
Strange AFL.com can go this hard on the Giants when Collingwood A) set a deadline it didn't stick to and B) came out publicly, even sending emails to members, saying negotiations with Brisbane have ceased.

Strange AFL.com can go this hard on the Giants when Collingwood A) set a deadline it didn't stick to and B) came out publicly, even sending emails to members, saying negotiations with Brisbane have ceased.

Or if they felt inclined, they could make the same criticism about us. It looks like they do get stuck into the Pies further down, but as you say not about credibility as such.

I thought the Giants got a sensational deal for a player who it seems was almost certainly not going to be at the club after 2015.

Apparently they also effectively got the Bulldogs to finance the Giants' next free agency raid by paying a chunk of Griffen's salary.

For mine, the Giants and the Power were bigger winners out of the trade period than we were. We got a couple of very good players in exchange for another very good player and a very high pick, but the Giants and the Power both got exactly what they need to take the next step up.

Or if they felt inclined, they could make the same criticism about us. It looks like they do get stuck into the Pies further down, but as you say not about credibility as such.

I thought the Giants got a sensational deal for a player who it seems was almost certainly not going to be at the club after 2015.

Apparently they also effectively got the Bulldogs to finance the Giants' next free agency raid by paying a chunk of Griffen's salary.

For mine, the Giants and the Power were bigger winners out of the trade period than we were. We got a couple of very good players in exchange for another very good player and a very high pick, but the Giants and the Power both got exactly what they need to take the next step up.
Both the Lions and Pies backtracked, but that was part of the compromise. FWIW a simple tweet from Leppo compared to a club statement and an email to members - it's pretty easy to see who came out looking sillier.

Agree on the Giants, thought they got the better of the Boyd deal. GWS and the Dogs rivalry will be fierce in the coming years following the poaching of Griffin, Boyd and Ward

Has my Mum been duped?

Mum has recently moved to Phillip island and came up today on the bus to see me and went home in all the Grand Prix traffic on the same bus.

Excited she rang me and said guess who she met on the bus?

Valentino Rossi!

I was immediately suspicious but she said he was Italian and with his girlfriend and riding and sleeping in a tent. I said mum he is a pretty good rider and worth several hundred million and I doubt he would be on the bus, a helicopter more like it.

But he gave her his autograph didn't he and now she is over the moon.

My question guys is should I tell her he finished fourth in practice today?

GWS are absolutely desperate to start competing for finals next year. Once the Griffen and Boyd swap was completed they attempted to trade out picks 4, 6 and 7 for a range of different players. They offered pick 4 for Ryder, Motlop, and Breust. Pick 6 for Steve Johnson and Pick 7 for Jeremey Howe.

GWS are absolutely desperate to start competing for finals next year. Once the Griffen and Boyd swap was completed they attempted to trade out picks 4, 6 and 7 for a range of different players. They offered pick 4 for Ryder, Motlop, and Breust. Pick 6 for Steve Johnson and Pick 7 for Jeremey Howe.
Pretty amazing. But I wonder if they were legitimate. I mean deals like this are never going to get done on the final day of Trade Week. I get the feeling they've been told by the AFL to get competitive fast. This was probably a last-ditch effort to at least make it look like they are serious. Coming away with Griffin and Patfull is still a very good result. GWS, Port, GC and Bris were the big winners of the trade period.

Whoever the new coach ends up being at the Dogs the incoming appointment will have an exciting young list to take care of. Libba, Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Boyd, Hrovat and Roughead. A fair amount of talent in that group.
There are a few there but all teams maybe bar Dees have this amount or more of up and comers.They don't seem to have much support around them at the moment either.For mine they are a certain bottom four next season at least.

Not sure I agree.

We didn't just get a couple of 'good players'. We got an elite ball winning midfielder who hits the scoreboard and we got a quality small forward who has serious runs on the board as an inside mid who also may have played his best game ever in the big dance, so we know he will be there when the stakes are high.

Your post makes it out like Beams and Crisp are in the same category, just that Crisp is younger!

We had a better trade period than anyone except maybe Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Port realistically only brought in one player, and while he is an elite player he has suffered from inconsistency his entire career. The reason it looks so good for Port, is that Ryder is arguably the missing link in their already very nice looking young list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I agree.

We didn't just get a couple of 'good players'. We got an elite ball winning midfielder who hits the scoreboard and we got a quality small forward who has serious runs on the board as an inside mid who also may have played his best game ever in the big dance, so we know he will be there when the stakes are high.

Your post makes it out like Beams and Crisp are in the same category, just that Crisp is younger!

We had a better trade period than anyone except maybe Hawthorn and Gold Coast. Port realistically only brought in one player, and while he is an elite player he has suffered from inconsistency his entire career. The reason it looks so good for Port, is that Ryder is arguably the missing link in their already very nice looking young list.

The 'very good player' we lost is Patfull, not Crisp.

What's the source of this?

Fwiw I think GWS could win a flag by 2016. Huge potential about to be realised in their list.

What's the source of this?

Fwiw I think GWS could win a flag by 2016. Huge potential about to be realised in their list.

I don't think they'll win a flag in 2016, but I think they could have a really stunning rise up the ladder next year if they have a real good run with injuries.

Smith, Treloar, Greene, Kennedy, Cameron, Shiel, Bugg, Hampton, Tomlinson, Coniglio, and Mohr are all in that 40-60 game range where players start to really mature and can consistently do all the things that senior level footballers do.

They now have a core of genuinely good veterans in Griffen, Patfull, Mumford and Shaw. You could probably add Ward and Davis to that list as well.

Scully, Palmer, Hoskin-Elliot, Whitfield and Haynes round out what I believe is a genuinely good first 22.

The problem is that every time one of the above players misses a game, they have to be replaced with a kid with <30 games. So their best possible season largely depends on how many injuries they pick up. If Mumford does his knee again I don't know how they'd cover him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back