2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We've got empty spots on the list to fill and he won't cost us anything, he'll be handy depth. I'm not sure the personal issues were the reason we didn't bring in Martin. He would've cost a lot in salary and trade unlike Robinson who'll be free and out on his ass if he stuffs up.
I rather draft a kid in, then get Robinson. All our young players are a terrific bunch of mature kids. I don't want to see the club make a mistake or risk bringing someone in that will ruin the culture and could cause conflict among the playing group. Robinson offers nothing in terms of leadership or being a role model for the younger players. At least Moloney had that on his resume.

I rather draft a kid in, then get Robinson. All our young players are a terrific bunch of mature kids. I don't want to see the club make a mistake or risk bringing someone in that will ruin the culture and could cause conflict among the playing group. Robinson offers nothing in terms of leadership or being a role model for the younger players. At least Moloney had that on his resume.

Fair points it's just that we won't have the picks to bring in kids likely to have an impact and we already have a very young list. Injuries or second year blues could play havoc with us. Some senior depth will be valuable. Swann surely had some insight into his behaviour and background from his time at Carlton. Couldn't be too toxic if he's willing to bring him in.

The AFL has all sorts of themed rounds these days. Where's Dickhead Recognition round, that's what I want to know.
If Robinson comes here and we play Collingwood in round 1, it will be the biggest game of the year for dickheads. I hope we win the Fevola Cup.

If Robinson comes here and we play Collingwood in round 1, it will be the biggest game of the year for dickheads. I hope we win the Fevola Cup.

Dwayne Russell and BT to share the commentary duties.

Fair points it's just that we won't have the picks to bring in kids likely to have an impact and we already have a very young list. Injuries or second year blues could play havoc with us. Some senior depth will be valuable. Swann surely had some insight into his behaviour and background from his time at Carlton. Couldn't be too toxic if he's willing to bring him in.
Fair point, but surely there are other free agents or players that are a viable option then Robinson. Maybe someone like Jason Tutt. He could be Brisbane's version of Matt White or Justin Sherman.
upload_2014-10-20_22-14-5.png

Last edited:
Lots of very derogatory stuff being thrown around here about Robinson, and much of it probably fair enough. After all, he IS a dfa.

However, if we were to disregard every "problem" player on the ground that they may represent a problem, then we might be setting the bar rather high. Even Barry Hall was picked up by the "no dickheads" Swans. Hall did very well after moving to Sydney, IIRC. Must have passed the Players Selection Panel as well.

And let us not forget our very own Martin Pike who pitched in for 3 of our Premierships, giving him 4 in total. Not so bad for a bloke who no-one could ever accuse of being an intellectual. My understanding is that Pike was paid a base performance salary, and despite being forever on his last chance did OK here.

If recruited, you might expect that Robinson would be contracted within similar strict behavioural boundaries. If he gets the odd game off his own efforts, then maybe he would have earned it. I don't think Leppa has ever been accused of gifting anyone a game.

I think he might add a bit of mongrel which, used with discretion, would be a useful addition to our mix.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see Robinson and Harwood in the same team. I seem to recall the odd interaction between them when we played Carlton-2 Tassie boys with some background.

Just my thoughts.

Disclaimer: Robinson is a former Tasmanian from, IIRC, Dodges Ferry

Lauderdale, maybe getting confused with Howe, who was from Dodges Ferry.

I'm really on the fence with him, not fussed either way. Could do worse then giving him a second chance, on a short contract. He strikes me as the type of player, that's with a point to prove, could turn out alright on field, off field is a large concern thou.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty interesting article by Mark Robinson tonight essentially saying the Lions expect Aish to ask to go home at the end of his current contract. Really wouldn't surprise me, it's telling he hasn't signed on when everyone else has. He is the opposite of Mayes who has settled in Brisbane and is here for the long term.

Pretty interesting article by Mark Robinson tonight essentially saying the Lions expect Aish to ask to go home at the end of his current contract. Really wouldn't surprise me, it's telling he hasn't signed on when everyone else has. He is the opposite of Mayes who has settled in Brisbane and is here for the long term.
The same Mayes who hadn't signed at this stage last year?
Calm down, you can worry if he hasn't re-signed by the middle of the season.

Titus O’Reily’s post-trade period knee jerk reactions

Brisbane
IN:
Dayne Beams, Allen Christensen
OUT: Joel Patfull, Jack Crisp
DRAFT PICKS: 44 (Liam Dawson), 63 (Harris Andrews), 67, 81, 99, 117 (Josh Clayton)
Thank you Nathan! Brisbane Lions fans must wonder how much more Nathan Buckley can do for them. This was a great trade period for the Lions, they even managed to see through Collingwood’s fake ‘deadline.’ That said, so would your average four-year-old. Danye Beams is a huge get and he said becoming a Lion means “never having to go to the Copeland Trophy again.” Christensen was another bonus that just seemed to land in their lap. Although why anyone would pick sunny Queensland over industrial Geelong is beyond me.

Noooooo, not Mitch.
I think he's one of the dumbest players in the league. But having looked at the current list of players who would be available, he's probably the best of a bad bunch(let's be honest, there's a reason for most of these players being de-listed).

He only runs one way.
Yep, away.

I'm OK with Robinson. I reckon you should always give a kid a 2nd chance. On the other hand the area that does concern me is his abilty to miss a target from about 15 meters. His hard at the opposing player attitude to the point that he is hard at the opposing player even when the opposing player is not even in the play, his abilty to run in the wrong direction because of an inability to read the play and the fact I will not only have to support him because he plays for us I will now have to defend my change of mind because I had convinced my cronies he was a very ordinary big name player and I won them over after he had a few very average games against us that my cronies said proved my point.

Other than that, to reiterate, I'm OK with Robinson.

Very funny, however Geelong is not at all 'industrial' as stated by O'Reily. In my opinion, it's one of the best places in the world to live.

My house is situated 20 minutes from Ocean Grove/Barwon Heads, 20 minutes from Queenscliffe, Point Lonsdale and Portarlington, 10 minutes from the Geelong CBD, 10 minutes from university, 10 minutes from the nearest train station which in turn is only an hour away from the big smoke in Melbourne.

I won't delve too much into the Great Ocean road and the other coastal beauties of the Bellarine Penisula. ;)

But I can totally understand the toxic environment that a bloke Allen's age can get involved with down here. Firstly, he's from Lara, which is basically Geelong's hideous cousin who has been kept secretly in the attic upstairs and fed raw meat and pet food (think Bart's twin brother Hugo). Whilst I've never met Allen personally, I'm mates with people he associates with. Lets just say there is a bit of a 'pingas' culture within Geelong's nightclub scene (no different to Melbourne or the rest of the country in many ways, but an unusually higher proportion given our smaller population). Geelong also has the highest proportion of ice addicts in the country, and while it isn't a real issue for most regular 18-26 year old club goers down here, many individuals would at least know of some person who is a either a casual user or addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back