List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - Diamonds in the rough...

Remove this Banner Ad

I would probably be more keen on Hamling than Brown. Brown has been in the system for about 5 or so years and really hasn't taken his opportunities. Hamling on the other hand has only been in the system for two years and he was picked up as more of a project player as he was so skinny when picked. I think he could develop into a pretty good KPD. I like the look of his videos anyway.

I have never seen him and know nothing off him so i'll take your word for it.

The least of Robinson's problems was his intelligence – and if you actually listen to him speak, he isn't that dumb. There'd be a dozen worse than him at Freo. At least.

Genuinely curious here - but which players at Freo do you not rate for their smarts?

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117315/Joel-HAMLING

2014 Season
1PMWorked hard across half forward.-
2PMQuiet day in VFL trial win.-
3VFLHad some good moments early until a corked thigh slowed him down.-
4VFLChipped in with two key goals in win.-
5VFLDefended extremely well. Countless spoils and tackles.-
6VFLGood effort. Showing signs of strong development.-
7VFLBattled hard but was eventually shaded on the day.-
8VFLBye.-
9VFLJust the nine possessions and had little impact.-
10VFLBattled a bit down back with Pies forwards. Six touches.-
11VFLBye.-
12VFLJust six touches down back but was composed at times.-
13VFLDid well down back and spoilt well.-
14VFLDefended fairly well and is developing his game.-
15VFLDefended well as part of Cats’ back six to stifle Blues.-
16VFLNamed Cats’ best, but had his hands full at times.-
17VFLCompeted hard down back but wasn’t his best outing.-
18VFLDid well down back against resting tall early.-
19VFLKicked a goal and did some decent things.-
20VFL11 possessions and effectiveness was well down.-
21VFLStruggled against more seasoned bodies in defence.-
22VFLDefended strongly and continues to show a bit.-

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...rt-to-vfl-season/story-fnjuhrhu-1226898578691

Hamling is interesting. Still only 21, has been good in the VFL without being great, height is deceptive (doesn't look 194), tackles like a man possessed..

Where would he play? Doesn't seem like FB or CHB type.

Geelong board mostly surprised at Hamling delisting, 2 years after being drafted as a 'project player'.
Finished 3rd in their VFL BnF. But 9th/top 10 for votes per game.

Reckon Cats could go tall with pick 10.

Surely they can't be too surprised since they just acquired Clarke and Stanley, that would be mainly the reason why he was delisted I reckon.

Surely they can't be too surprised since they just acquired Clarke and Stanley, that would be mainly the reason why he was delisted I reckon.
Not sure how much defending those two have done, Hamling been playing mostly defence in VFL. Blicavs to move back, Kolojashnij their only tallish back up backman it seems, might have a delisted free agent lined up.

Not sure how much defending those two have done, Hamling been playing mostly defence in VFL. Blicavs to move back, Kolojashnij their only tallish back up backman it seems, might have a delisted free agent lined up.

Thought Stanley played a bit down back?

Geelong board mostly surprised at Hamling delisting, 2 years after being drafted as a 'project player'.
Finished 3rd in their VFL BnF. But 9th/top 10 for votes per game.

Reckon Cats could go tall with pick 10.
The reason Brown and Hamling were let go is because the Cats have too much height and also considering they lost Christensen and Varcoe. They'll go for mids in the draft and rookie most likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason Brown and Hamling were let go is because the Cats have too much height and also considering they lost Christensen and Varcoe. They'll go for mids in the draft and rookie most likely.
Who are their key defenders coming through though? JK is the only one I can think of. They are screwed past the days of Lonergan and Rivers. Taylor can't do it all himself. If Hamling is there for our last live selection (either last rookie pick or second last if we are redrafting a delisted player) I'd take him but he got delisted for a reason. You don't delist guys who'll be good players unless they won't sign a contract. If they were that good they would've been traded or still be on Geelongs list.

I've only seen him as 2nd/3rd forward, resting ruck, which I believe he was traded to do for Cats, but happy to stand corrected.
Watters played Stanley back for half a season. He struggled with concentration and his opponent would get off tbe leash. Mitch Brown spent his first two on the list injured. Has shown some ability and had a impressive pre season. Coming into the season was expected to be the third tall at Geelong but never really got a shot and was surpassed by Kersten.

Shane Yarran - Has anyone watched Subiaco closely this year?

Liked his story and interview, looks like a leader and a positive role model for simpson

Liked his story and interview, looks like a leader and a positive role model for simpson
Maybe but I like to think a positive role model is somebody who hasn't gone to jail.

Simpson is a good kid dealing with complex issues. No one can be a role model to him, as most people don't understand Simpson's culture. Yarran and Simpson are from different communities.

Regardless of Yarran looking like he could be a very good player, Freo shouldn't need to draft someone to hold Simpsons hand, he either wants to play with the FFC or not.

Last edited:
Maybe Freo already had the chat with Hamling? Or he has worked out the pecking order at cats and decided a change is required.
Be nice to think we have been active behind the scenes.

Maybe Freo already had the chat with Hamling? Or he has worked out the pecking order at cats and decided a change is required.
Be nice to think we have been active behind the scenes.

I have no doubt we were active. They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't inquire with players/managers. It just sucks for us as the public that it hasn't been splashed around in the media.

Genuinely curious here - but which players at Freo do you not rate for their smarts?

Morabito is a dumb footballer, doesn't make him less of a future gun.... Footy smarts are important but for someone like morabito, you can wind him up and let him go!

I don't think clancew Pearce is a particularly smart footballer, ballantyne is clever with his skills but continually does stupid things....

High in footy iq for freo would be johnson and walters...

Morabito is a dumb footballer, doesn't make him less of a future gun.... Footy smarts are important but for someone like morabito, you can wind him up and let him go!

I don't think clancew Pearce is a particularly smart footballer, ballantyne is clever with his skills but continually does stupid things....

High in footy iq for freo would be johnson and walters...

wut?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back