List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

I work in aged care ... what seems clean and hygenic is often not ... but for AFL players seems a bit over the top to test

I remember going to watch footy training as a young kid in the country town where I lived and seeing the trainer leaning over a big pot of mutton stew ( it could have been underground mutton ;) ) he was stirring, and the heat from the fire was causing his california poppy to run down his forehead onto his nose and drip into the mixture.

Sensational :oops:

let's not forget our first pick is 56..I honestly don't see this kid getting a game with us with the likes of shaw yoey Harvey way ahead of him.

How the heck is Yoey way ahead of him? He's a medium sized forward who won his spot on the list as a Cat B rookie in a reality TV contest. Yoey wants to watch out Jesse Russell doesn't overtake him.

All joke aside on the clean hands test which is described as:

Clean hands test
With this in mind, AFL-AIS Academy Assistant Coach Matthew Lloyd has devised the clean hands skill test that measures the ability of a player to gather the ball cleanly and deliver quick accurate handballs on both preferred and non-preferred hands.
At Marcellin College, Lloyd explained that the test was about "being clean below the knees, in the air and also executing the handball".
Clean hands test

I do recall a pretty good key forward at Port whose ability to gather the ball cleanly below his knees and dish off the quick accurate handball was a feature of his game. No one is suggesting Doogie is going to be another WGT but it is a great skill for a big man to have.

Anyone ever heard of a KPF from Wagga carving out an AFL career? Wasted pick.
B Jason Wild (cwood) Brad Seymour (SS) Matt Suckling (H)
HB Paul Hawke (cwood,SS) Jason Mooney (SS,G) Brett Scott (SS)
C Greg Smith (SS) David Murphy (SS) John Pitura (SM/fitz)
HF Neville Miller (SS) Wayne Carey (NM) Harry Lampe (SM)
F Cam Mooney (G) Bill Mohr (STK) Geoff Kingston (SA)
R Orren Stephenson (G) Paul Kelly (SS) C Colin Hounsell (SS)
IC James Byrne (A) Bryce Campbell (A) Matthew Lloyd (SS)

The most obvious of this lot would be Matt Suckling, Wayne Carey, Geoff Kingston(although not AFL), Paul Kelly and Matthew Lloyd. Although I get the idea that you were asking a rhetorical question, particularly as your name is theDuckFarmer.

The most obvious of this lot would be Matt Suckling, Wayne Carey, Geoff Kingston(although not AFL), Paul Kelly and Matthew Lloyd. Although I get the idea that you were asking a rhetorical question, particularly as your name is theDuckFarmer.

I think you missed the sarcastica font. that theDuckFarmer was using.

I would put David Murphy in the obvious category. Not sure who the Matthew Lloyd is, but I strongly doubt he is the former Essendon forward.

I remember Greg Smith at Central Districts in the 1980s, likewise Colin Hounsell at Woodville.

I would put David Murphy in the obvious category. Not sure who the Matthew Lloyd is, but I strongly doubt he is the former Essendon forward.

I remember Greg Smith at Central Districts in the 1980s, likewise Colin Hounsell at Woodville.

I think you're right about Matthew Lloyd. The Essendon forward was born in Melbourne, went to high school in Essendon and there is no record of a career other than with Essendon. I think it may be this person who seems to be a pretty successful VFA player.
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...&sID=13441&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=188842

I agree David Murphy was one of the more notable ones, in fact most of them are, whether because they are current or recent players, or had good records.

Anyone ever heard of a KPF from Wagga carving out an AFL career? Wasted pick.
I never cease to be amazed how non qualified people have more in depth knowledge of players we have drafted than our full time employees.
Forget that our full time professionally run football department with list managers, recruiters spread across the country in conjunction with our coaches led by Ken along with our fitness people led by Burgo would have SIGNIFICANT more knowledge than we do.
To suggest any of the 4 are wasted picks is pure nonsense. Because they are all picks from 56 + does not mean that will not succeed as it is just as true if they are selected in top 20 means they will all succeed...simply not the case. Draft and develop is Ken's belief and mantra. Introduce these kids to our program (game and fitness), culture and club and they have every chance to be the best they can be and hopefully carve a 10+ year career.
Interesting too the Dougal H and Logan A were part of GWS academy....must have some talent to be there in the first place!
Any kid playing football from Ballarat is a fair chance to succeed as w ell...bred tough in that neck of the woods.
Finally we had to draft tall for all the obvious reasons and on that note I look forward with optimism that the 2014 draft will prove successful.
We will only know in the years to come and that would apply irrespective if they were early of late picks....just fact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting too the Dougal H and Logan A were part of GWS academy....must have some talent to be there in the first place!
I also read somewhere that GWS had indicated that they would pre-rookie list Howard and Austin, along with one other Academy player, in the event they didn't get drafted in the main draft pool last Thursday.

"Anyone ever heard of a KPF from Wagga carving out an AFL career? Wasted pick."
I never cease to be amazed how non qualified people have more in depth knowledge of players we have drafted than our full time employees.
Forget that our full time professionally run football department with list managers, recruiters spread across the country in conjunction with our coaches led by Ken along with our fitness people led by Burgo would have SIGNIFICANT more knowledge than we do.
To suggest any of the 4 are wasted picks is pure nonsense. .....
Oh dear ... it seems some people dont have a funny bone!! :rolleyes:
theDuckfarmer - Duck - A certain Wayne Carey from Wagga spring to mind?
I would hazard a guess he was taking the mickey ....

Cripps comments are significant. Howard is 199cm not 195cm and we recruited him as a project player to play second ruck / key forward. I think we are trying to develop a ruckman.

Selection No.56 – Dougal Howard (Murray Bushrangers)

Jason Cripps says: He's 199cm, he's got speed, he's quite aggressive in the way he plays and he can get off his man. He's a project player, but he's shown that he can potentially play a second ruck/key forward role.

The comments from his coach about how raw he is and how much development is left in him are encouraging too. Just maybe we've uncovered a genuine KPF (and possibly back up ruck) prospect with a late pick.

please don't

Johnny would be a good nickname in honour of the actor John Howard.

He played Geoff Hayward in the movie the club - the boom recruit from Tassie - country Tassie. I think he was recruited as a CHF but ended up playing on the ball. Talk is Doogie might end up in the ruck

and in honour of John Howard performing one of the greatest pieces of comedy in world TV history. From John Clarke and Bryan Dawe's The Games

#PH408

Remove this Banner Ad

Back