News Pick trade - future first for 23 and future second

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that folx need to accept that with our ascendant midfield, we are not going to finish below 6th for the next 5 years. This will (undeservingly) reflect on Padre Zeppole, but our draft futures trading should nonetheless be favourable.

Nahhh, this is worse. There was potential for Sinn to be Chris Judd, Rat and BZT are never going to be top 5 players in their position in the competition.

And we will trade a second rounder and add Durrsma for these two-three (Sweet)
There might have been potential in Sinn, but we jumped what, 3 picks in that draft? In a draft where all of the Vic kids lost their last 2 years of junior footy. Literally couldn’t have been a worse draft to jump up in.

There might have been potential in Sinn, but we jumped what, 3 picks in that draft? In a draft where all of the Vic kids lost their last 2 years of junior footy. Literally couldn’t have been a worse draft to jump up in.
2 spot upgrade.

The entire AFL industry is well aware of our Ruck & KPD List deficiencies, pity it’s taken us 20 years to come to the same conclusion. It’s our persistent incompetence which has opened the door for other clubs to exploit the situation & rightfully ask for overs.

Kens 11 year dream of trying to win a Premiership with 22 Half Back Flankers finally appears over.

i don't mind it.

One thing Hinkley is good at is never bottoming out, which is to save his arse to our long term detriment but in 11 seasons 11th is his worst finish. Can't see next year being any worse than that.

I think we will make the 8, which will make this trade fine.
lol, Yay, more mid table rut!

You might be right, but geez we really need to finish at the pointy end to justify this trade. Possibly 22ish and 30ish for pick 10ish or possibly lower would be a disaster.

Whilst Hinkley has avoided bottoming out, he has also shown that we can crash significantly from lofty heights and going out in straight sets, with a low percentage, points to an over-performed season we shouldn't bank on being repeated.

Besides it being a gamble as a trade , the timing is just dumb.

Now we have pick 22, that’s the pick geelong and essendon are going to ask for.

Dumb dumb dumb.
^ This.

If the rest of the deals don't fall like dominos in a day or so, then it is 100% poor timing.

I guess the only way to spin it the other way is to say that now we don't have a first, so Geelong and their ridiculous 1st rounder demands can't possibly be achieved now.

Last edited:
Is there any chance at all people can wait a little bit longer than five hours into trade week before completely going off the deep end?

I'll reserve my judgement until all trades are known in their full form, not making assumptions based on no credible source.
Good luck with that. This board is infested with bedwetters who think Duursma is potentially the second coming of Peter Matera and swallow every negative trade rumour from Victoria.

You guys will finish top 4 again next year.
We will finish in the lower part of the 8 at best.

There’s zero guarantees next year.

Hinkley has no plan b and gets found out again and again.

We’re extremely reliant on the brilliance of a small handful of players and some of our key players are very injury prone. Butters goes down and we’re not far from a bottom 6 team to be honest.

We should finish high, but it won’t take much to derail us and once that happens we’re not talking a small slide, we will be up s**t creek.

Dont we have a promising montgomery and burgoyne next yeat as FS?

That was my guess also.

Those two prospects are not highly rated in next years draft.

Rome is tracking similar to his brother who was a late late draft pick (or did we rookie him I forget?). He’s a small hbf / outside wingman. He’s not going high unless he tears the competition apart next year, and that doesn’t look likely to happen

And Montgomery is a flanker who isn’t rated high either. Most mock drafts here have him in the 30-50 range, and if his name wasn’t Montgomery I doubt they would even feature him.

They’re decent prospects but they’re closer to jake Patmore level prospects than they are to butters / rozee / duursma level.

We absolutely have not traded out our first to avoid using it on guys that are closer to rookie prospects than 1st rounders.

Pick 23 lands us Moir or Collard in the draft.
That's the small forward problem addressed.

Next year's second for Ratugolea. Geelong can death ride us.

If we wanted to use pick 22 in the draft then trading it in before we complete trades for esava and zerk would be dumb as s**t, cause their teams are gunning for that pick now.

It’s extremely unlikely we traded that pick in to use it in the draft, and if we did then we chose a dumb time to do it.

Eh. I don’t mind it.

Worth playing the long game now with all of Esava, Brandon Zerk, and Sweet. Don’t need to actually trade Duursma either now

We didn’t need to trade duursma before.

Essendon are after him, and we’ve given him a sniff at freedom. If he wants to go he’s gone.

If Duursma can get us a pick in the late teens or early 20s I would trade him and take it to the draft. Duursma will always be an average player

If duursma is an average player what are the guys we’re bringing in? The vfl ruck? The dude that won the reverse Coleman? The failed kf that has barely established himself as a key defender yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I’m the next Burgoyne I’m really thinking about whether I would be selecting port, Trent delisted, Jace stagnating and barely playing in the AFL

Probs better off going to another club who
Burgoyne actually showed some improvement this year. Whilst he played a role in 2022, this year he started to become our number 1 possession winner at SANFL level. He's growing, he's just also slight and we need to stay patient. There's a lot to work with there.

This pick swap isn't great and I never like to trade future 1sts but there is a way we can get out of the trade period with the 3 players (Rat, BZT and Sweet) and keep P23.

Duursma for BZT + P29 or P50
Ratugolea for P39 + The Essendon Pick
Sweet for P46

We would finish with P23

Only 1 pick but it will be top 30 and we can always get people on the rookie list.

This probably won't happen though as Geelong will probably push for P23 and Hinkley will give in as he just wants to protect his job.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good luck with that. This board is infested with bedwetters who think Duursma is potentially the second coming of Peter Matera and swallow every negative trade rumour from Victoria.
Some of us were accused of bed wetting during the 2016 preseason games. Those throwing around the bed wetting insults and criticisms might not have wet the bed, but they’ve spent the past 7 years cleaning the dripping egg from their faces. Don’t make the same mistake. With this off-field regime (executive, admin, coaching, list management), the bed wetting response has been the most justified one for at least 9 of the past 11 years.

Last edited:
This pick swap isn't great and I never like to trade future 1sts but there is a way we can get out of the trade period with the 3 players (Rat, BZT and Sweet) and keep P23.

Duursma for BZT + P29 or P50
Ratugolea for P39 + The Essendon Pick
Sweet for P46

We would finish with P23

Only 1 pick but it will be top 30 and we can always get people on the rookie list.

This probably won't happen though as Geelong will probably push for P23 and Hinkley will give in as he just wants to protect his job.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm certainly hoping that by trading our future first, we will keep one of the picks.

Freo Future 2nd should be more than enough for Esava.
Our Pick 38 for BZT
Our pick 47 for Sweet.

All of them are bang on appropriate value.

Leaves us with pick 23, hopefully get a zippy small forward, happy days allround.

If we do trade out Duursma, you've gotta be getting good value for him and hopefully another pick in the 15-25 range

I'm certainly hoping that by trading our future first, we will keep one of the picks.

Freo Future 2nd should be more than enough for Esava.
Our Pick 38 for BZT
Our pick 47 for Sweet.

Leaves us with pick 23, hopefully get a zippy small forward, happy days allround.

If we do trade out Duursma, you've gotta be getting good value for him and hopefully another pick in the 15-25 range
This is what is more than fair.

lol, Yay, more mid table rut!

You might be right, but geez we really need to finish at the pointy end to justify this trade. Possibly 22ish and 30ish for pick 10ish or possibly lower would be a disaster.

Whilst Hinkley has avoided bottoming out, he has also shown that we can crash significantly from lofty heights and going out in straight sets, with a low percentage, points to an over-performed season we shouldn't bank on being repeated.
pick 10ish next year is on the basis we don't make the 8, which i think we will. Most likely a pick around 10-20 for a couple picks around 20-30. I just don't get the melts. But i guess we melt over everything on here these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back