Football / Coaching Department

Remove this Banner Ad

Head recruiter at Carltank from 2004-2011, demoted but stuck around until the start of this year (taking Cripps over Dunstan was probably the final straw). Before that he was a recruiter at Freo, before that he was with us.

His misses far outweigh his hits and late picks have been pretty much pissed away. To look at his track record is to see how bad Carlton's drafting has been for the past decade.

But hey, he did manage to poach Cain Ackland from us.
Hughes did not pick Cripps. Rogers did. Hughes' final draft was the Bootsma draft.

Hughes did not pick Cripps. Rogers did. Hughes' final draft was the Bootsma draft.
Doesn't matter what draft he last picked, it was never going to be pretty

He picked up a beauty in Bootsma. I'd say he knew he was leaving and decided to stuff Carlton up.

He picked up a beauty in Bootsma. I'd say he knew he was leaving and decided to stuff Carlton up.
Jay Clark needs to be a little more informed. Hughes was sacked after being demoted 2 years earlier:
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-axe-veteran-recruiter-wayne-hughes-20140214-32qd5.html

Rogers was in charge since 2012 draft and I know Dunstan is loved here (as he should be), I think it's a little early to write Cripps off. Especially after breaking his leg last year and missing most of the season.

I actually thought Bootsma was an exceptionally talented kid, grossly underweight, but agile and skillful.
It is just a shame he turned out to be a turd of a person

Our recruiters have been focusing on the quality of the person and how others interact with him.
A Bootsma would never have crossed our threshhold

Hughes is an incredibly experienced recruiter. He was renowned as having an encyclopaedic knowledge of players, with a keen appreciation of players weaknesses and strengths. Was many years ago and may have no relevance now, but saw him in action at the Teal Cup (national championships before current), when I was an team NT Official. He took part of a training run for us and was exceptional with our players. He sat with us during game and gave detailed advice and moves to counter Vic Country player skills, enabling us to get agonisingly close to an upset. He was a reference point for all other recruiters, who would constantly check with him for facts and details.

This may be of far less relevance with our access to video, intensive and regular player meetings and detailed record keeping and he may not be the person the Saints really want, but wanted to expand on some of the knee jerk rejection of him because of his association with Carlton.

I have known Lloydy for many years and played with him at one stage.

Ripping bloke who gives everyone time. Even when he was on an AFL list. Very close to his brothers and family. Enjoys Perth but would move for the right opportunity. Don't believe any reports about him being linked to the Bombers. He played at the Hawks and Williamstown with Bluey Churchill and the boys. That's where his roots are.

I am biased but he would be a great acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...e-in-new-zealand/story-e6frf3e3-1227154895808

Matt Finnis joins St Kilda players in intense hike in New Zealand

Finnis failed to deny that the Saints had met with sacked Adelaide coach Brenton Sanderson about a potential role at Seaford in 2015.

“We’ve been having a number of conversations with people. We’ve got a couple of roles to fill and I expect we’ll make an announcement before Christmas,” Finnis said.

Meanwhile, the Saints are revamping their recruiting department and are likely to hire two additional staff, including a "pro scout" who focuses on players inside the AFL.

Bains said the Saints would be hiring a pro scout and were likely to also hire a recruiter who was assigned to the younger, unproven talent in the TAC Cup and the state leagues.

He said the addition of a pro scout was "more critical" due to the advent of free agency and the greater number of trades of seasoned players in the AFL.

Bains said the incoming recruiters would report to recruiting head Tony Elshaug. The club is also seeking a new football operations manager to replace head of football Chris Pelchen.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-to-allow-saad-to-train-while-suspended-20141213-126m8w.html

A shitty overcast rainy day in Scotland today is it? It's not nearly as bad as you paint it to be. No need for the razor blades yet.

Actually its a lovely clear frosty morning, I can see for miles towards the hills and over the bay!

We are the worst team in the league on actual performance. We are in a lot of debt, and that is getting worse each year. We have a high turnover of staff, and whilst each of the moves can be justified, its a fact that we've had 2 footy managers and 2 head coaches in 3 years. We are still changing our development side of things on an annual basis, as the dev squad/Sandy situation is drawn out. Again, justifiable, but doesn't show stability.
[My only real concern on that side of things is that we hired Bevo to do one role, and punted Pelch to get another footy-focused development person in. Then Bevo leaves. All of a sudden tasks from each role are being absorbed and there's only one main vacancy. To me, if you've done a review and decided on a structure, go with it and fill the positions. Dont change the positions based on who is (or isnt) available.
Its more cost-saving measures, just to hire one person instead of two, but a measure which seems to go against the outcome of the recent review.]

These are facts. It's not the end of the world, but c'mon folks, its not great either.

Last edited:
Actually its a lovely clear frosty morning, I can see for miles towards the hills and over the bay!

We are the worst team in the league on actual performance. We are in a lot of debt, and that is getting worse each year. We have a high turnover of staff, and whilst each of the moves can be justified, its a fact that we've had 2 footy managers and 2 head coaches in 3 years. We are still changing our development side of things on an annual basis, as the dev squad/Sandy situation is drawn out. Again, justifiable, but doesn't show stability.
[My only real concern on that side of things is that we hired Bevo to do one role, and punted Pelch to get another footy-focused development person in. Then Bevo leaves. All of a sudden tasks from each role are being absorbed and there's only one main vacancy. To me, if you've done a review and decided on a structure, go with it and fill the positions. Dont change the positions based on who is (or isnt) available.
Its more cost-saving measures, just to hire one person instead of two, but a measure which seems to go against the outcome of the recent review.]

These are facts. It's not the end of the world, but c'mon folks, its not great either.

Ike sounds lovely there today. Love to see a photo if you get time to post one, one day.

The obvious is that we are last, had an ageing list, that we have traded or culled, with now a majority of kids. You see it as a problem and concern, that we have changed admin, coaching, conditioning and development staff. Surely as we are last, this is a reflection on those, who used to occupy those positions. The concern would be if we took a steady as she goes approach, rather than the wholesale changes being made throughout the club. Not sure of the unnamed Pelchen replacement, but all of the others seem a huge step forward than the person who was previously in that position. Change and improvement is a good thing and to be embraced.

Are we a contender, of course not. No one is saying we are, but we can see that there is improvement. The club is actively working on a wide number of things to improve their financial position, membership is up and we have an influx of very promising youth. Things were dark in 2000 and 2001 and shortly after we were a contender again. Port were seen as possibly going out of the league altogether, but then they are now contenders and people see them as a power for a number of years. Things are not rosy, but nor as they as black as you paint them. There are small green shoots of improvement everywhere you choose to look.

Ike sounds lovely there today. Love to see a photo if you get time to post one, one day.

The obvious is that we are last, had an ageing list, that we have traded or culled, with now a majority of kids. You see it as a problem and concern, that we have changed admin, coaching, conditioning and development staff. Surely as we are last, this is a reflection on those, who used to occupy those positions. The concern would be if we took a steady as she goes approach, rather than the wholesale changes being made throughout the club. Not sure of the unnamed Pelchen replacement, but all of the others seem a huge step forward than the person who was previously in that position. Change and improvement is a good thing and to be embraced.

Are we a contender, of course not. No one is saying we are, but we can see that there is improvement. The club is actively working on a wide number of things to improve their financial position, membership is up and we have an influx of very promising youth. Things were dark in 2000 and 2001 and shortly after we were a contender again. Port were seen as possibly going out of the league altogether, but then they are now contenders and people see them as a power for a number of years. Things are not rosy, but nor as they as black as you paint them. There are small green shoots of improvement everywhere you choose to look.

I missed the chance to take a pic today, and I dont know how to post pics on here, but I'll figure it out!

Yes the changes we made needed to be made. But appointing Watters was considered a good thing, then a mistake. Appointing Pelchen was a good thing, now he needs replaced which is also being spun as a positive, but if thats the case then we gave him too long a contract in the first place. Appointing Richo a good thing. I am a Saints fan and have been for a number of years, so I look at the steps taken and I hope as much as anyone that they will be for the good. I can see first-hand how the club has gotten some of its off-field stuff together - we're now doing things the Hawks were doing 2+ years ago, and whilst we're late to it, we're now on a par with others. And the club is pushing more and more initiatives all the time.
But to a player currently at GWS, who supports Geelong for example and knows nothing about St Kilda other than the odd media piece they might hear on the radio, it is not a hugely positive image which is spread. They see us change coach twice, and change footy manager twice, in a 3 year period. The guy at the club who the agents speak to has also changed. The guy who runs the development side has changed. It might all be for the better. But personally, if I was a GWS kid who was sick of the environment and things that go along with being at a club like that, I'd probably want to go to a settled situation and just focus on my footy for a couple years, under a solid stable coaching and playing group.

Interesting you mention Port - they're on-field is to be admired, but I saw they just posted a huge loss. What on earth are they going to have to do down there to make a profit?!

What a left field choice..

He was sacked from the SACA for getting into players ears about contracts, and we've said that we're gearing up to get free agents to the club. Coincidence?

We suck, because in 2014 we sucked.
I'll say it again, since you've not discussed my posts about it in the Best 22 thread.

We effectively lost FOURTEEN of our 2013 Best 22 through most-or-all of 2014, PLUS got a new coach.

If we are in a rebuild, 2014 was the demolition year. We completely deconstructed our best-22, thanks to trade, FA, retirement and injury. Judging the health of our list going forward based on 2014 is like looking at the rubble of a bulldozed house and saying nobody can ever live there.

The 2015 best 22 will be massively more settled, and more experienced than the 2014 one was.

Downside 1 = not from footy, so a bit strange to be a footy manager.
Upside 1 = still a bloody good sportsman, and he's not there to coach, but to do admin, that is transferable across any sports.

Downside 2 = Got fired for doing dodgy stuff with contracts.
Upside 2 = Only got fired for doing what everybody else was doing. He was merely following the culture and practice of the sport. Then when people decided that wasn't acceptable for the sport to do in the future, they used Cox as the fallguy. Funny thing is, up until that point, he'd probably have been fired if he HADN'T done all that stuff, because SA wouldn't have been able to compete with the rest of the comp who were doing it as well.

In short, who knows?

I missed the chance to take a pic today, and I dont know how to post pics on here, but I'll figure it out!

Yes the changes we made needed to be made. But appointing Watters was considered a good thing, then a mistake. Appointing Pelchen was a good thing, now he needs replaced which is also being spun as a positive, but if thats the case then we gave him too long a contract in the first place. Appointing Richo a good thing. I am a Saints fan and have been for a number of years, so I look at the steps taken and I hope as much as anyone that they will be for the good. I can see first-hand how the club has gotten some of its off-field stuff together - we're now doing things the Hawks were doing 2+ years ago, and whilst we're late to it, we're now on a par with others. And the club is pushing more and more initiatives all the time.
But to a player currently at GWS, who supports Geelong for example and knows nothing about St Kilda other than the odd media piece they might hear on the radio, it is not a hugely positive image which is spread. They see us change coach twice, and change footy manager twice, in a 3 year period. The guy at the club who the agents speak to has also changed. The guy who runs the development side has changed. It might all be for the better. But personally, if I was a GWS kid who was sick of the environment and things that go along with being at a club like that, I'd probably want to go to a settled situation and just focus on my footy for a couple years, under a solid stable coaching and playing group.

Interesting you mention Port - they're on-field is to be admired, but I saw they just posted a huge loss. What on earth are they going to have to do down there to make a profit?!

I believe that is due to the deal the AFL struck for the Adelaide Oval re revenue sharing etc. Similar to our deal at Etihad. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is the reason as they had a ripper season with huge crowds and membership etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back