Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

nah, not really
as a kid who grew up going to hindmash to see juve vs hellas, i think West Adelaide didnt rebrand to the Adelaide Sharks till the mid to late nighties. (like 96 or 97, maybe even 98)

Adelaide sharks FC (crows) would have beaten them to the punch in 1990
Yep, this is correct. Sharks wouldn't have been a terrible name. Colour scheme pretty average though.

I'm a little surprised that Sharks hasn't been used as a nickname for any of the interstate teams. It would have suited any of them, except GWS, and probably only the Eagles and Crows are better nicknames for their team.

Everything about the Crows was great and most of it still is.

Like, from a branding position. They latched onto the state elements and never overtook any of those elements, they just used parts of them. Using the State of Origin jumper would've been so dumb and offensive, their strip is unique and bands in obvious South Australian colours, while the name is one of the smartest I've ever seen adopted. It's not just naming it after a local animal, hill, or industry – it uses a known nickname in a unique way. No other state really could've done it, but they adopted elements to be stately but their own entity.

Anything other than Adelaide Crows would've been a shame.

A second non-SANFL SA side would've been interesting, though. Unlike the other cities, there's no obvious point of differentiation is there?

Sharks would have been better, but I guess when Freo were formed, they couldn't use Sharks due to East Freo already having it, and not being directly linked to them, it wouldn't have worked.
Same problem for Gold Coast, too.

we should stop making new teams and just use the ones already with an identity in some way, then bring them into the AFL.
Norwood could work.
could chuck a Tassie team that has an identity in Tassie into the league
Problem is they hold huge baggage for any supporters of opposition teams in prior league.

I like the name Sharks for Gold Coast or Freo. Actually, while "Dockers" can sound a bit awkward, it's actually quite clever, somehow they managed to have "wharfies" wrapped up in a name that reminds people of "the Fremantle Doctor."

These are all ones from the documentary on the formation of Freo.

A few possible designs that were up for consideration by the board at the time:

PB200319.jpg

PB200323.jpg

PB200320.jpg

PB200321.jpg

Then a possible prototype or even the proposed jumper that was presented to the AFL for approval (back only, the front was the same as the first home jumper):

PB200324.jpg

When the jumpers and club name was unveiled, the away jumper was going to worn with green shorts maybe:

PB200325.jpg

I guess that explains their original guernsey

it was simply the best of a bad bunch

thank god for purple haze

we should stop making new teams and just use the ones already with an identity in some way, then bring them into the AFL.
Norwood could work.
could chuck a Tassie team that has an identity in Tassie into the league
Or ever a merger of some description between 2 teams in the TSL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the two magie teams? ;) I wonder what Eddie would do...

He would leave the AFL in disgust and join the VFL. After all the VFL, like his black and white stripes, is collingwood's tradition.

the two magie teams? ;) I wonder what Eddie would do...
He would leave the AFL in disgust and join the VFL. After all the VFL, like his black and white stripes, is collingwood's tradition.
Pleeeeeeeeeeease AFL oh please merge these 2 teams so Eddie will leave. Nobody wants him anymore. He is the reason we are so bad.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease AFL oh please merge these 2 teams so Eddie will leave. Nobody wants him anymore. He is the reason we are so bad.

I might have some vested interested in my suggestion

Joking about this on the Port board because the club is starting a junior program called the "pirateers".

Not a jumper that could've been but a logo that was seriously considered...but Graham Cornes first suggested it so we didn't go down that path.

Attachments

• Pirates.png
    Pirates.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
Joking about this on the Port board because the club is starting a junior program called the "pirateers".

Not a jumper that could've been but a logo that was seriously considered...but Graham Cornes first suggested it so we didn't go down that path.
Interesting design there. Power should've gone down that path.

When I heard that a Freo side was going to join (first rumored in 1993), I immediately had this idea for a jumper.
I figured they would look to their WAFL counterparts for a moniker... since the Bulldogs were already taken, they would go with the Sharks.
BP would be their sponsor... probably picked it simply because BP was often a regular sponsor of Channel 7 telecasts back in those days.
"BP... On the Move"

Fremantle Sharks

upload_2014-12-18_22-57-0.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back