Analysis Stadium deals - what, how, when - why we need a new one and the SA footy paradigm shift happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the Crowbored AO Review thread is back ... must have locked it to clean up my shite? :)

Anyways l'll stay away

Anyone who tolerates so much as reading it deserves a medal. When I was a closeted Port man I couldn't so much as call out anti-Magpies comments without being tarred, feathered and dobbed into Operation Noah.

So, would I be correct in understanding that the main gripe comes with what are the match day costs.

No! Match day costs are a minor part of the whole equation.

AO was modeled incorrectly first with only 20 people in the SMA then as all involved woke up and realised that it needed approx 90 people as it was going to be used as a 365 day a year venue and not just for sport. They can serve 2,000 lunch meals and 2,000 at dinner everyday of the week.

Through this 4 years of modeling and negotiations there were known unkowns, and unkown unkowns, and that's why the deal was signed with a review clause to try to sort out was a fair and reasonable situation once the oval had been used and put through its paces. As KT said this is a complex set up - most stadiums are when they start new.

The modelling was done on Port averaging crowds of 32k and crows 40k and the revenue splits were done on those numbers being achieved. The main gripe is about what happens to the split of extra revenue generated by getting 250,000 people more than budgeted thru the gate this year. Its about a fair and equitable split of this catering revenue. Cateriring revenue was one of the items opened up for negotiation in the review process. The government said that the clubs should benefit the most but that was not spelt out crystal clear in the lease agreement.

And if we get x dollars for 35K people why do we pay more in costs for 45K people.

Think about it for a second or two. We could get 10,000 extra people between game A and game B and none of those extra people have paid at the gate, ie are all members rocking up, but there are extra match day costs involved with them showing up. If WCE - at a clean stadium - get 30,000 to a game and 27,000 are members and 3,000 have bought game day tickets then they have to cover match day costs. If at the next game they get 40,000 to a game and 37,000 are members and 3,000 have bought game day tickets then they have to cover the increased match day costs. They have to write the WAFC a bigger cheque.

Do the cleaners charge per kilo of rubbish that they remove. I cannot agree with this logic that matchday costs are a certain amount pp. Surely it costs the same to run the stadium whether 1 or a 1000 people attend.

There are fixed costs and variable costs. to clean up after 10,000 people, means you say have 20 cleaners have to work X hours and the cost is their rate x hours worked. If 40,000 turn up then those same 20 cleaners will have to work more hours to clean the stadium or you will need more people to clean it in the same time as before - once again a pretty bassik concept. Its a variable cost - as output increases so do you variable costs. Its not fixed.

Last edited:
For what I thought was supposed to be a 'clean' stadium deal - it looks pretty sullied to me.

Who said it was a clean stadium?? Whoever did, either blatantly lied or are as thick as a brick and don't know what a clean stadium means. I quoted directly from the WA Major Stadia Taskforce report the definition of a clean stadium in the opening post of this tread 162 pages ago.

Who knows who is getting what? Huge potential for corruption and graft to be taking place thru potential conflicts of interest.
Its called protecting your patch and covering your arse. There have been conflicts of interest left, right and centre, from the day the AFL and SANFL signed for a licence agreement in October 1990.

We (the tax payer) own that stadium NOT the SANFL, NOT the PAFC or the Crows, NOT the SMA, NOT even the SA government - we own it!
Yep it sits as an asset in the books of the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure

A truly independent body should be managing it on behalf of the taxpayer who paid for it not some self-serving, self interested body with potentially massive conflict of interest issues. and the AFL, SANFL, NRL, SACA, CA, Adelaide United, Paul Dainty or the Payneham Girls Hopscotch Team can rent it (as a clean stadium) for a fair price and keep whatever they make (or lose) from the event(s).

True that is what the WA Major Stadia Taskforce recommended for the WA Stadium back when it wrote its report in late 2007 - but how do you get 2 self interested sporting bodies who have had a cold war for 40 years over to use it if they aren't involved in running it?? From my mate Kwality over there in Perth, it looks like the WA government and WA sporting bodies are going thru a suck it and see process to see who runs it and what involvement WAFC have in the Burswood stadium whilst it is being built over the next 3 or 4 years. Ie build it and then sort out the finer details later approach - just like AO.

Look at the MCG Trust and MCC Inc set up at the MCG.
The Trust own the land that the MCG is built on, the Yarra Park land surrounding the MCG, the National Sporting Museum at the MCG and its contents and receive a $4-$4.5mil rent from the MCC.
The MCC went out and borrowed monies to build both the Great Southern Stand and $357mil to build the 3 northern stands between 2005-05. They are a self interested sporting body who have the contract to manage the stadium - but at least thay took the risk to develop it.

But yes I prefer that a rent should be charged for each game and give an incentive to the clubs to run it as hard as possible to make maximum $$$$.

Ah...I feel better now. Resume normal programming.
All set for the festive season then.

Who said it was a clean stadium?? Whoever did, either blatantly lied or are as thick as a brick and don't know what a clean stadium means.

It was definitely a term being used in the media early this year. How or why, I have no idea.

Day 156 - This may come under 'unpopular opinion' - but I would prefer a Genuine club in Noorwood were also representing SA in the AFL with us..
I doubt it would be an unpopular opinion here, what with Norwood being our traditional rival for 130 years and all... too bad most Norwood supporters are too blinded to realise Crows have their spot in the top league.

Also taking out the parrot squawking from the pro-SANFL brigade (marty and the redandblack guy) a casual flick through their AO thread gave me the impression most Crows posters here were on the same page as us in wanting a fairer proportion of the profits. Apart from these two prehistoric mouthbreathers I don't see the point in stirring up trouble with a bunch of football followers who we're largely in alignment with (in that thread anyway); save it for Bay 13 imo

or category 5 ... total idiot that needs to be locked away (with a gag, straight jacket and padded room to keep them out of the way for their own protection)

Ala Percy Wetmore from The Green Mile

It was definitely a term being used in the media early this year. How or why, I have no idea.

Another example of Stephen Rowe's cunning. He was the one who began the lie of a "clean stadium" and "Port have no excuses if they can't turn a profit now". He persisted and persisted and it just became accepted. Then Olsen picked it up and started running with it. Job done.

Another example of Stephen Rowe's cunning. He was the one who began the lie of a "clean stadium" and "Port have no excuses if they can't turn a profit now". He persisted and persisted and it just became accepted. Then Olsen picked it up and started running with it. Job done.
It will be clean when we sweep out the $MA and the $ANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard the Crows financial aren't going to paint a pretty picture at ALL
If that is true Fishing Rick then good and we can only hope that Fagan sees sense in a united front. We all know this is not just a PAFC issue , it's about both AFL teams. Unfortunately Port is taking the brunt of the animosity while Crows are coming out smelling like roses...so far.

I heard the Crows financial aren't going to paint a pretty picture at ALL
If they have paid out Sando close to $1mil, accelerated the write off of West Lakes, had a lot of "one off" AO costs and increased other footy dept expenses well above the salary cap increases then they will be in the red.

If they have paid out Sando close to $1mil, accelerated the write off of West Lakes, had a lot of "one off" AO costs and increased other footy dept expenses well above the salary cap increases then they will be in the red.
We've been waiting for the joint media announcement from Fagan and KT for days now, wonder what the hold up is?

Probably a stupid act of selfish hate IN Sydney? Quiet insensitive to come out squabbling about money when that s**t isbhappening
Good point, although KT did mention in his letter to the members on wednesday that there would be an update later this week. I feel there has been an unexpected turn of events. Still, what is one more week when it has been going on for 5 months!

We've been waiting for the joint media announcement from Fagan and KT for days now, wonder what the hold up is?
NFI

events in Sydney may have been considered especially if a joint attack on the sanfl was to be the theme. If as someone posted that Olsen is in NY and/or extended his visit that might have been a factor.

Nah something else happened. It would have been fine to do it Thursday or Friday. Definitely something changed.

KT"s message was on Wednesday time stamped 5-23pm - said "I expect to be able to report further on that later this week."

That suggests Friday. Cairns kids killings were announced at 11am.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back