Autopsy Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

For the start of the season I am thinking that it will go a little like this.

FB: Ibbo - Johnson - Sutcliffe
HB: C.Pearce - Mcpharlin - Spurr
C: Hill - Mundy - D.Pearce
HF: Walters - Taberner - Crozier
FF: Z.Clarke - Pavlich - Ballantyne
R: Sandilands - Barlow - Fyfe

Bench: Neale, Mzungu, Mayne
Sub: Blakely/Deboer/Suban/Sherridan

In this side there are two question marks still for mine, Tabs and Barlow.
If Barlow misses I expect to see deBoer come in. If Tabs misses then I would think that Duffy might come in as another small forward or we will play a more defensive or mid minded player. Once again deBoer is most likely but there is a chance that a CPearce could be swung forward for a Suban to come in.

My problem with Suban can be summed as follows. He always shows heaps in the preseason but that doesn't translate into the main season and he seems to go missing for whole quarters. deBoer pops up for useful things but for someone who has played 115 games I just expect more but on the possitive he averages more output per game that his fellow periphery players in Ibbo, C Pearce, Suban and Crozier.

Both Sherridan and Blakey will go close. I suspect that the T-train will be closer being an in but i don't expect to see either until later in the season.

For the start of the season I am thinking that it will go a little like this.

FB: Ibbo - Johnson - Sutcliffe
HB: C.Pearce - Mcpharlin - Spurr
C: Hill - Mundy - D.Pearce
HF: Walters - Taberner - Crozier
FF: Z.Clarke - Pavlich - Ballantyne
R: Sandilands - Barlow - Fyfe

Sub: Blakely/Deboer/Suban/Sherridan

In this side there are two question marks still for mine, Tabs and Barlow.
If Barlow misses I expect to see deBoer come in. If Tabs misses then I would think that Duffy might come in as another small forward or we will play a more defensive or mid minded player. Once again deBoer is most likely but there is a chance that a CPearce could be swung forward for a Suban to come in.

My problem with Suban can be summed as follows. He always shows heaps in the preseason but that doesn't translate into the main season and he seems to go missing for whole quarters. deBoer pops up for useful things but for someone who has played 115 games I just expect more but on the possitive he averages more output per game that his fellow periphery players in Ibbo, C Pearce, Suban and Crozier.

Both Sherridan and Blakey will go close. I suspect that the T-train will be closer being an in but i don't expect to see either until later in the season.

Both Sheridan and Blakely looked good against wc. I wouldn't be disappointed with either of them against Port.
I thought Zac Clarke went alright up forward too so if Tabs fails the fitness test I think Zac and Sandi will rotate up their.
Suban had a heavy limp so I am doubtful on him for RD1.
I reckon if Port go tall with Butcher we might see Zac Clarke go to defence.

I reckon Blakely will need a few games in the WAFL to build up his match fitness. I don't think he is ready for a first up hit out against an incredibly fit and hard running team like Port - not yet anyway. Could expose Freo a bit. Sheridan would be a better pick given he is a 3rd/4th (?) year player in the system.

I reckon Blakely will need a few games in the WAFL to build up his match fitness. I don't think he is ready for a first up hit out against an incredibly fit and hard running team like Port - not yet anyway. Could expose Freo a bit. Sheridan would be a better pick given he is a 3rd/4th (?) year player in the system.
4th.

You can just tell looking at his body that Blakely is a mile off being a permanent fixture in a Ross Lyon team. I'd be surprised if he was named early, even as perma sub.

If he does ... they obviously have a VERY big opinion of the kid

So did Fyfe have a solid preseason or not?... Judging on reports he didn't, but then the next day he dominated the nab cup games

You can just tell looking at his body that Blakely is a mile off being a permanent fixture in a Ross Lyon team. I'd be surprised if he was named early, even as perma sub.

If he does ... they obviously have a VERY big opinion of the kid
A long way off? How so? Perhaps from a playing weight and conditioning POV. Even then, he's reasonably mature for a draftee. His skills and ability to find the ball certainly aren't the problem. In fact, if he got a good run of games, I think he's good enough to win the rising star.

Ainlong way off? How so? Perhaps from a playing weight and conditioning POV. Even then, he's reasonably mature for a draftee. His skills and ability to find the ball certainly aren't the problem. In fact, if he got a good run of games, I think he's good enough to win the rising star.
Kid has played at wafl level against men, and plays Inside role, outside players always take more time due to
speed, contested style of AFL, and most outside types need to bulk up.
Freo have exciting young talent available to play, we need to unleash our midfield, flanker rotations, and just run
teams into the ground.
Blakey can cover Mundy, Barlow, for position, injury.
Weller can cover D Pearce
Sherro is he being groomed for Duffield, Sutcliffe role?
Sutcliffe to midfield?
Crozier, Duffy X factor types.
Hughes, Grey, are they next in line, plenty to work with there.

Kid has played at wafl level against men, and plays Inside role, outside players always take more time due to
speed, contested style of AFL, and most outside types need to bulk up.
Freo have exciting young talent available to play, we need to unleash our midfield, flanker rotations, and just run
teams into the ground.
Blakey can cover Mundy, Barlow, for position, injury.
Weller can cover D Pearce
Sherro is he being groomed for Duffield, Sutcliffe role?
Sutcliffe to midfield?
Crozier, Duffy X factor types.
Hughes, Grey, are they next in line, plenty to work with there.
Que?

Interesting that on the AFL site they have their expert season predictions and not one of them have us in the top four, some even have us missing the eight. Plus a common theme is team to fall : Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

="Simmofreo, post: 37620043, member: 135092"]Interesting that on the AFL site they have their expert season predictions and not one of them have us in the top four, some even have us missing the eight. Plus a common theme is team to fall : Fremantle[/QUOTE]
Misconception of Fremantle and Ross Lyon, no youth, doesnt develop talent. Our list is old, defensive gameplan.
Instead of doing their homework, and seeing the midfield potential, versatility in the list, just sprout the same
old garbage.
I wouldnt worry what is said by the experts, Hawks were too old last year, and any injuries would put them out of
contention.

Interesting that on the AFL site they have their expert season predictions and not one of them have us in the top four, some even have us missing the eight. Plus a common theme is team to fall : Fremantle

If those guys are called "Experts" then I want to be called "Guy who doesn't cry and masturbate alone in the shower every night"

I wouldn't worry to much about that article.

As others on here have alluded most of their opinions are just based on what the boring old mantra that every man and his dog has been rattling off this preseason. Freo is to old to reliant on to few - The last time they said that the Hawks won back to back Grand Finals. Before that Geelong were to old and won a grand final. Hopefully this lack of research on their behalf will be the egg on the face of the media that they deserve.

There isn't anything wrong with our list, we all know it isn't 'Nirvana'(quoting the Great man RTB) but it's a solid list with some quality youth coming through. Most of our best players are young just entering their prime years. Of course replacing the 'Big 3' is no mean feat we have proven on a number of occasions that we can cover for them and still win.

Our best 22 for round 1 IMHO would look something like this :

FB: Ibbo Johnson Sutcliffe
HB: Spurr Mcpharlin C.Pearce
C: Hill Mundy D.Pearce
HF: Walters Taberner Crozier
FF: Z.Clarke Pavlich Ballantyne
R: Sandilands Barlow Fyfe

Sub: Sherridan

If Tabs isn't fit then Hannath takes his place. I thought he looked pretty good against West Coast.
If Mzungu isn't fit then I'd give DeBoer his role and leave Sherridan as the sub.
If Ballaz isn't fit then I'd move Sherridan onto the field and Duffy would be the sub.

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I have been active posting best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board. Would love to get your thoughts on my Fremantle BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

FULL BACKS: Michael Johnson ~ Zac Dawson ~ Cameron Sutcliffe
HALF BACKS: Paul Duffield ~ Luke McPharlin/ Alex Silvagni ~ David Mundy

MIDFIELDERS:
Tendai Mzungu ~ Michael Barlow ~ Stephen Hill
FOLLOWERS: Aaron Sandilands ~ Nat Fyfe ~ Lachie Neale

HALF FORWARDS:
Chris Mayne ~ Matt Taberner ~ Michael Walters
FULL FORWARDS: Hayden Ballantyne ~ Matthew Pavlich ~ Zac Clarke

INTERCHANGE:
Garrick Ibbotson ~ Danyle Pearce ~ Lee Spurr
SUB: Tom Sheridan

• Back line from 2014 doesn't need to change much except for the probability of McPharlin being managed. Silvagni is a very capable tall to have waiting in the wings.
  • I guess the difference from the 2014 midfield is no Crowley. From an outsider perspective I didn't see him as a best 22 regular in 2015 anyway but it gives the opportunity for non regular players to push for a permanent midfield role e.g. Sheridan.
  • The best forward line from 2014 doesn't change much, in terms of names anyway. Personally I'd like to see Walters play more through the midfield in 2015, just in bursts because he's a very creative player and a creative player like that should get midfield time.
  • Keep pumping games into Taberner. Was quiet in the finals but in his run towards the end of the year he showed there is plenty to work with. Athletically strong he can be a lead up CHF option.
  • Sutcliffe has usurped Spurr in that tagging small forward role. Doesn't mean the end for Spurr but as he is a flexible type that can run off HB as well.
  • I'm giving Sheridan an opportunity early over players like Crozier and Duffy. Smart midfielder with a great engine he is the major beneficiary of Crowley missing

Hey guys.

Sorry to intrude but I have been active posting best 22's for all 18 clubs on the main AFL board. Would love to get your thoughts on my Fremantle BEST 22. Not necessarily the Round 1 team but the best available.

FULL BACKS: Michael Johnson ~ Zac Dawson ~ Cameron Sutcliffe
HALF BACKS: Paul Duffield ~ Luke McPharlin/ Alex Silvagni ~ David Mundy

MIDFIELDERS:
Tendai Mzungu ~ Michael Barlow ~ Stephen Hill
FOLLOWERS: Aaron Sandilands ~ Nat Fyfe ~ Lachie Neale

HALF FORWARDS:
Chris Mayne ~ Matt Taberner ~ Michael Walters
FULL FORWARDS: Hayden Ballantyne ~ Matthew Pavlich ~ Zac Clarke

INTERCHANGE:
Garrick Ibbotson ~ Danyle Pearce ~ Lee Spurr
SUB: Tom Sheridan

• Back line from 2014 doesn't need to change much except for the probability of McPharlin being managed. Silvagni is a very capable tall to have waiting in the wings.
  • I guess the difference from the 2014 midfield is no Crowley. From an outsider perspective I didn't see him as a best 22 regular in 2015 anyway but it gives the opportunity for non regular players to push for a permanent midfield role e.g. Sheridan.
  • The best forward line from 2014 doesn't change much, in terms of names anyway. Personally I'd like to see Walters play more through the midfield in 2015, just in bursts because he's a very creative player and a creative player like that should get midfield time.
  • Keep pumping games into Taberner. Was quiet in the finals but in his run towards the end of the year he showed there is plenty to work with. Athletically strong he can be a lead up CHF option.
  • Sutcliffe has usurped Spurr in that tagging small forward role. Doesn't mean the end for Spurr but as he is a flexible type that can run off HB as well.
  • I'm giving Sheridan an opportunity early over players like Crozier and Duffy. Smart midfielder with a great engine he is the major beneficiary of Crowley missing
Not bad. Personally, and it's definitely a big call at this stage, but I'd drop Danyle Pearce from the 22 (I know Ross rates him as he's never missed a game) as his disposal and clumsyness under pressure can sometimes be a liability (He can be equally brilliant, but he's the former rather than the latter more often than not, IMO) and replace him with Connor Blakley (put as sub) Yes an even bigger call. Shown a lot this pre season. Kid definitely has a big future and probably the absolute steal of the draft.

I'd then move Sheridan to Mundy's positon as he has been earmarked to take over Duffields role in the coming years and probably had his best game for us ever against you guys during the nab cup running out of the backline.

Mundy can go to the bench as the guys are so heavily rotated it really is irrelevant if it's him or another first choice mid placed there.

I think Clancee Pearce will be the first choice tagger when Ross decides we need one, but may not play every week. Matt deBoer is another option and probably is in the same boat.

Pretty good effort overall though, especially from an eagle. Maybe some of you do know your footy after all ;)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back