Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Geelong Friday May 22nd 7.50PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is obvious that the players are devoid of confidence and it is affecting everything they do.

The lack of attacking play, the willingness to create, the willingness to support team mates, kicking at goal, etc etc so much of what is happening on the field can be attributed to a horrible lack of confidence.

That lack of confidence has also (understandably) engulfed us all on Big Footy. Now I don't know what has been going on at the club to try and break out of the funk but I challenge the posters here to break out of this downward spiral.

Everything is never as bad as it seems. Can the Big Footy posters turn there spirits around and help lift the team up?

I think the Carlton backline will have a stand-in tall tonight. Everitt at 194cm is the likely candidate. Expect a fair bit of swapping positions will go on as Geelong try to take advantage. I suspect Jones and Casboult might have to follow their opponents as well. Taylor likes to drift forward and kick a goal. Hawkins is a real threat but Rowey is the man for that job. I think Clark is a 'potential' threat. He hasn't been in the best of form so far this season so he's more 'scare' factor at the moment.

As for the Blues. We have 'potential' everywhere. Hoping the on-ballers provide some decisive footy from clearances. Important that it's 'in front and one up in the marking contests' and crumbers ready for any loose ball from the contests. Run, run, run from the back half. Decisive leads even if it means your creating space for team mates to exploit. Aim for 50+ inside fifties to make it a contest. Scoreboard pressure wears your opponent down.

I'm looking for big games from Yarran, Thomas, Casboult, Gibbs and Buckley.

how this isn't going to turn into a blue blood bath is beyond me. If the cats get their running game going like they
did against the pies they will rip us to pieces. If I was Rowe, I'd be feigning an injury. He won't stand a chance
against Hawkins. All I can say is....prove me wrong boys, prove me wrong.
Why are you whispering?

Feel for Watson , doesn't seem to get much a chance.
Think that the way Watson has been treated is a clear example of the inconsistency and lack of integrity in the club. Further whilst I have nothing personally against Jones his re inclusion after 1 week out and 1 goal for the bullants further illustrates the issues with the MC. Also interesting that Mick comes out and says that the players have no confidence because of the rebuild talk. How can he not see that his handling of certain players is also crushing confidence.

Why does Watson deserve 6 weeks though? If his game last week was better than ANY of Jones games this year then he would still be playing. It says a lot that they take 2 talls out and don't replace one with a tall. Says they think will get more from a small bloke who can run over what Watson served. It's sad but that's what it's come to.
Had he played a full game he probably would have done more than Jones has done. Jones has never been subbed even though on performance he could have been subbed in each of his 6 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It strikes me as Micks call

Jones can get off the ground whereas Watto can't

But Watto can kick and has footy smarts whereas Jones doesn't

But Mick is on record praising Jones' ability to launch at aerial contests

So I think that's what it all comes down to

Can't be overly critical of Mick here bec diff coaches at diff clubs throughout history will have their own priorities and things they value more in a player
Think the aspect of Jones Mick most rates is that he picked him and needs to validate his poor choice.

Really hope that Carlton have not ruined his chance to further his career at another AFL club.

I think he's managed that all by himself.

Look, in a system with very good players, playing very good football, he might be ok because weak links can sometimes get tasks they can manage while the rest of the team covers for them. For example, if Eddie and Jeffy were with us and we had a dominant key forward with able support as well as a fast and accountable midfield and a rock solid defence, I reckon Watson could fill a forward role because all those other parts would create and take advantage of forward entries as well as lock the ball in. He's be like the 5th or 6th most important forward and maybe the 16th to 18th most important player on the field at any one time. His booming kick would mean any possession inside 60 is a chance of a goal.

Unfortunately he plays for us and shite begets shite. The rest of the team, it's structures, attitude and effort are all crap so his weaknesses are exposed and magnified.

Frankly I don't think he'll get a gig anywhere else, but if he does I think it will be in a side that can cover for what are his (many) weaknesses.

Really hope that Carlton have not ruined his chance to further his career at another AFL club.
Despite what some people say around here, I really think Watson is good enough to play at AFL level. We've completely ruined him, just like we did with Kane Lucas.

Watson isn't big enough to play as slow as he does. He is one of the game's best kicks but is exposed too easily for leg speed or lack thereof. He could be a third tall and swingman if he could increase his ability to cover ground. Jones has what Watson lacks in athletic ability - but for all his natural gifts - he fails to capitalise on them - so he can look good without ever really taking command. I'm looking to Levi to continue where he left off last week - he was kicking straight.

If Geelong allow our midfield to win contested possession the game could be a lot closer for longer. Where we lose will be inability to convert and on rebound.

It is really weird preparing to watch a game - knowing you are likely to get flogged.

I'm looking forward to Kreuzer and Byrne back not to mention Henderson - by all accounts we wont have the luxury of best 22 till after the bye.

Despite what some people say around here, I really think Watson is good enough to play at AFL level.

Why? Watson is slow, very slow. He has no footy smarts. He cannot spoil in defence because he consistently runs under the ball. He is completely hopeless below his waist and has the largest turning circle of any player I can think of. Ever.

Sure, he has a booming left foot. When you get one kick in 3 quarters that doesn't matter. And anyway his kicking falls away quickly under any pressure. MM is absolutely right to drop Watson. He should not have been picked in the first place.

Any comparison with Jones is completely unfair. Jones is comparatively fast, skilful and devastating in the air. And least of all do I think Jones is the answer to any question other than who should we delist.

Watson would probably be better in a good side, they can absorb deficiencies / not stand out so much

Isn't the game 90% above the shoulders? Confidence is a big thing....

Having said that prefer Jones in over Watson

If Geelong allow our midfield to win contested possession the game could be a lot closer for longer. Where we lose will be inability to convert and on rebound.

It is really weird preparing to watch a game - knowing you are likely to get flogged.

I'm looking forward to Kreuzer and Byrne back not to mention Henderson - by all accounts we wont have the luxury of best 22 till after the bye.

Correcta moondo

Why? Watson is slow, very slow. He has no footy smarts. He cannot spoil in defence because he consistently runs under the ball. He is completely hopeless below his waist and has the largest turning circle of any player I can think of. Ever.

Sure, he has a booming left foot. When you get one kick in 3 quarters that doesn't matter. And anyway his kicking falls away quickly under any pressure. MM is absolutely right to drop Watson. He should not have been picked in the first place.

Any comparison with Jones is completely unfair. Jones is comparatively fast, skilful and devastating in the air. And least of all do I think Jones is the answer to any question other than who should we delist.
Watson is not nearly as slow as you and others make out - his 20msprint time of 2.89 at draft camp is pretty quick and his repeat sprints were very good. Combine that with his ability to read the play and his booming kick he has the attributes but needs the right role and some confidence. He has been poorly managed and never given the opportunity to have a string of games to find form and confidence. Just as with Graham, Malthouse's management of Watson has been a disgrace and as with Laidler other teams will see his strengths and see the opportunity to fit him into a role that capitalises on these strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back