What do you do with Shane Watson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is why watson should be in the team:
  • He's scored more test runs in the past year than all the batsman from Afghanistan, Ireland and the UAE, and Chris Martin combined
  • He has nearly as many test centuries as Marcus North
  • He hasn't been injured in weeks
  • He was in pretty good form five or six years ago
  • This sub seems to like benchods, and he kind of looks like Jaime Lannister (and bats like he sword fights from the third book), and he's played for Tasmania
  • He tries hard, and has even started doing his homework
  • A lot people point out that he doesn't take a lot of ODI wickets. This is unfair, as he also doesn't take a lot of test wickets. Also, his role in ODI's is to be economical rather than take wickets, and in the last two years the only Australian bowlers to have a better ODI economy rate than Watson are Johnson, Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, Doherty, Faulkner, Marsh, Hazlewood, Smith, Maxwell and probably a few others.
  • He seems as likeable and articulate as David Warner, and he doesn't assault lesbians
  • He has all the foundations of a world class allrounder, and soon he's going to hit his peak. I know people have been saying that for ten years, but this year it's totally true.
  • He has incriminating photos of the selectors, I assume
  • He has previously captained the side, and seems the obvious choice for captain in all formats once they finally drop Steve Smith
  • He scores runs when the team's under pressure. Several of them.
  • He's batting is constantly improving. Early in his career he would get out bowled quite often. After a few years, he worked out you can block the stumps with your legs, unfortunately, he started getting a lot of LBWs. Then he worked out if you use the wooden thing in your hands, you can't get LBW. Unfortunately, sometimes the ball flies off that and goes into a fielder's hands. But wait until he works out you can hit the ball into the ground. He will be unstoppable.
And finally, the biggest, strongest argument I have for keeping Shane Watson in the team:
  • If he got dropped now he'll probably retire and become Channel Nine's new top commentator
Very funny. I laughed a lot at this. I have never rated Shane Watson and continue to this day to be constantly baffled at his almost automatic selection in the Test side.

Very funny. I laughed a lot at this. I have never rated Shane Watson and continue to this day to be constantly baffled at his almost automatic selection in the Test side.
That period of 09-10, while he was struggling to turn most of them into hundreds but he was consistently making scores, he deserved his selection as an opening batsman. Then he got injured, Warner and Cowan took the opening spots and he had to move down the order and he's been mediocre ever since.

That period of 09-10, while he was struggling to turn most of them into hundreds but he was consistently making scores, he deserved his selection as an opening batsman. Then he got injured, Warner and Cowan took the opening spots and he had to move down the order and he's been mediocre ever since.

He lost form as opener before he got injured. He started going downhill almost as soon as Kat was dumped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson cannot bowl anymore. Anyone thinking he is due his position on the back of his "containing bowling" is having a laugh.

Watson is a bona fide hack these days unfortunately

It would be a fair argument if there wasn't an alternative

However marsh bowls better, bats better and is no more injury prone

Watson will be our highest run scorer at the ashes.

The least they could do, if they pick him for the first test, is stick him in at 8 and Johnno in at 6. In the last 2 years, Johnson averages 50 in the first test of a series and Watson averages 20.

The least they could do, if they pick him for the first test, is stick him in at 8 and Johnno in at 6. In the last 2 years, Johnson averages 50 in the first test of a series and Watson averages 20.

Why bother though when he hasn't been bowling?

The great thing about Marsh being in the frame is Watson has to bowl decent overs now. If his body can't cope or whatever else then he's not getting picked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back