Ashes 2015, Third Test - England v Australia - Day 3, Edgbaston

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyth must be an even better bloke to have around the team than haddin apparently is, or maybe cook just wants to always seem like the in form opener even when he makes less than 30.

I always thought he was an average county plodder..
Doesnt look test class.

I would pick Hales. I think we need a more aggressive opener to go with Cook.

Be a good option, hell if he goes cheaply its not like we lose anything as Lyth is useless, something like 9 failures and a century in his 10 innings career?

But if Hales comes off then we are going well, we saw what a difference Warner made in the 2nd innings, he got no support in the end but we had to chase over 100 because Warner got going and was knocking off the lead quickly, if you are not losing wickets at the other end then it takes the game away. We won in 2005 scoring close to 400 in a day and Root has been our best batsman and he is on the attack, Bell looked best when he started attacking. The Aussie bowlers invite quick scoring, they are very wayward and if you get on top the runs will flow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the Hales obsession. Average record across the board and from what I've seen from him he's a very poor man's Warner who's yet to do anything even at ODI level where he's had a fair few games. Didn't look comfortable against good bowling.

Has had some good knocks this season though so I could be completely wrong.

More recently: what did Carberry do wrong?

Failed in 5 tests. He looked the goods in the first test but was at sea when there started planning for him. I still think Compton is the best of their options but if Cook doesn't like him he's got no chance.

Failed in 5 tests. He looked the goods in the first test but was at sea when there started planning for him. I still think Compton is the best of their options but if Cook doesn't like him he's got no chance.

He got consistently into the 30s and 40s from my recollection. They would kill for that at the moment.

He got consistently into the 30s and 40s from my recollection. They would kill for that at the moment.

Failed was a little harsh he did get a 50 in the first Test. But he was worked out by Johnson and Harris and was at sea for the last few games which I think was partly why he was dumped. He's averaging 28 or something this season though so I don't think he'd be anywhere near it, has a good cricket brain though could see him coaching in the future.

ieja54.jpg

Pretty good recent record at Trent bridge..
Edgbaston and Trent Bridge are always the money grounds for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back