Selling hope Collingwood style.

Remove this Banner Ad

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
I found it fascinating to hear the final wash up of people talking about Collingwoods win over Geelong on Friday Night the last couple of days. All of a sudden there was a new found optimism from the Collingwood fans again. I heard Bucks on the radio yesterday talking up the future and responding to a question about the next Premiership crack being 2017 but who knows what can happen next year.
I just thought it was an extraordinary response from a coach who had just won his second game in 10 matches and whose team is sitting 12th on the ladder. Now this isn't a dig at Collingwood or Bucks, as you can see, I'm a Carlton fan and at least Collingwood have some sort of future to look forward to. Of course he isn't going to say that Collingwood cannot make the finals in the next couple of years but do people really believe there is a premiership in Collingwood in the next 5 years? I see this as more of a political move on Buckleys behalf, we are on track, don't spoil it by moving me on in the next few years.
It seems to me that footy clubs in general are pretty damn good at selling the dream but rarely delivering, after all, there is only one premiership to be one one per year and many clubs slugging it out.

Their season collapsed so dramatically and unexpectedly, that any light would be welcomed. But Buckley (and Eddie) can't afford another second half fade out!

Would you rather they say "yeah we're going to be s**t for the next 4 years"?

They're being positive. Good on them. We need a bit more positivity in this world.

I found it fascinating to hear the final wash up of people talking about Collingwoods win over Geelong on Friday Night the last couple of days. All of a sudden there was a new found optimism from the Collingwood fans again. I heard Bucks on the radio yesterday talking up the future and responding to a question about the next Premiership crack being 2017 but who knows what can happen next year.
I just thought it was an extraordinary response from a coach who had just won his second game in 10 matches and whose team is sitting 12th on the ladder. Now this isn't a dig at Collingwood or Bucks, as you can see, I'm a Carlton fan and at least Collingwood have some sort of future to look forward to. Of course he isn't going to say that Collingwood cannot make the finals in the next couple of years but do people really believe there is a premiership in Collingwood in the next 5 years? I see this as more of a political move on Buckleys behalf, we are on track, don't spoil it by moving me on in the next few years.
It seems to me that footy clubs in general are pretty damn good at selling the dream but rarely delivering, after all, there is only one premiership to be one one per year and many clubs slugging it out.

You just worry about you're next crack at the wooden spoon.

You're window is the next five years at least.

Their season collapsed so dramatically and unexpectedly, that any light would be welcomed. But Buckley (and Eddie) can't afford another second half fade out!

Wouldn't have thought unexpectedly.

Freo in Freo
Hawks
Port in Port

We lost by 7, 10 and 3 points and realistically could have won all 3.

But we went in underdogs to all 3 games.

Cloke went down in the first 5 min v Eagles and we were screwed structurally against a team thats very good.

Losing can become a habit and the 3 soul crushing losses compounded.

Melbourne and Tigers games were appalling.
Young sides can have those types of games.

Looks like we may end up on 11 wins, not a disaster by any stretch.

Would expect 12 wins at least next year as there should be no excuse for not improving pending a healthy list.

Full season from Reid in defence as well as Greenwood who has shown his value to our structures in the last couple.

If you don't have hope as a supporter.. well you're a Carlton or Melbourne supporter. :p

well Bucks get 2016 to impress now.if he doesnt he's in strife. What would YOU suggest he should say when asked about future prospects? the loser mentality at your club seems to have overwhelmed you i'm afraid

I don't doubt that Bucks thinks we can win the flag in 2017, and that he held this belief during this season too. From listening to him on 360 each week, it is apparent that there is a plan that we're working towards, although that plan hasn't been shared, and why would it be?

This year, in the overall scheme of things, was realistically never about winning the flag. Sides recognise this and whilst players are told to believe that they can win it from anywhere, sides know that this is not reality. There has been, in my eyes, dramatic improvement throughout the entire squad.

Wins and losses don't always accurately measure a side's improvement or decline (i.e. compare Hawthorn 2008 and 2009 or Fremantle 2013 and 2015). Next year is the year that everyone (supporters, match committee, AFL public) will expect us to start making greater strides towards our goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies have obviously reloaded for youth. Looking at their list they see that their youngsters will be reaching that 100 game mark around 2017, see Pendles and Cloke should still be going then, logically the next step is to then target 2017 as a year to go balls out.

Long term planning, not something the OP's team is familiar with, if it was they may not have Tutt and Jones running around under contract for the next 2 years

No one sells false hope like Brisbane. 'One of the best mid fields in the comp, beams + bundy on their way, good chance for top 8..'

Next minute, wooden spoon.

Maybe next year..
To be fair, I didn't get all the top 8 for Brisbane hype earlier in the season, I had them pegged for a bottom 4 finish. Forward line is probably worse than ours a couple of seasons ago when we were relying on Liam Jones to kick a bag. Losing Close hurt, looks like he has potential to be a decent KPF. Lions midfield would have needed a big scoring return to do damage this year, guys like Zorko, Rich & Beams can break lines but every time I watch the Lions it all seems to fall apart at the half forward line.

Big offseason and an injection of marking forwards and next year could see a quick improvement.

2017 flag is in the bag apparently.

1-8 vs the top 8
9-3 against the rest

The 8-3 start was a joke. Most lopsided draw since Essendon 2012.
1-8 with four losses by under two goals to three top four teams.

You split the four close ones and all of a sudden you're at 3-6 against the top eight and in a pretty comparable position to most 5-8 teams.

Wouldn't have thought unexpectedly.

Freo in Freo
Hawks
Port in Port

We lost by 7, 10 and 3 points and realistically could have won all 3.

But we went in underdogs to all 3 games.

Cloke went down in the first 5 min v Eagles and we were screwed structurally against a team thats very good.

Losing can become a habit and the 3 soul crushing losses compounded.

Melbourne and Tigers games were appalling.
Young sides can have those types of games.

Looks like we may end up on 11 wins, not a disaster by any stretch.

Would expect 12 wins at least next year as there should be no excuse for not improving pending a healthy list.

Full season from Reid in defence as well as Greenwood who has shown his value to our structures in the last couple.

If you don't have hope as a supporter.. well you're a Carlton or Melbourne supporter. :p

When you're 8-3, you would not expect to win only one of your next 9 matches. That was what I meant by my use of the word "unexpected."

Well it's simple really - Bucks and the team probably don't look only at Wins and Losses to gauge the development of the group.

Look at our results over this losing run:
Lost to Freo by 7 pts
Lost to Hawks by 10 pts
Lost to Port by 3 pts
Lost to WCE by 31 pts (were within a goal at 3QT)
Lost to Bulldogs by 18pts
Lost to Melbourne by 37pts
Beat Carlton
Lost to Sydney by 11pts
Lost to Richmond by 91pts
Beat Geelong.

Other than the Melbourne game - which of those games were we tipped to win? And we were tipped to lose to Geelong, so that evens up that wager. The Richmond loss was clearly disappointing, and there were a lot of things that came out of that... but the team responded the way you want a team to following a thrashing.

---

Now you can look at the run in 2 ways.
You can say it was 2-8 - s**t result, s**t team, should be bottom of the ladder. Thats the simple response. Thats the response half of bigfooty has taken. I can't begrudge you for taking it, I can't factually tell you you are wrong.

Personally, I look at it a very different way - and Bucks and the people who actually matter in our players development likely view it the same way:
It was s**t to not win any of those close games. There is something that seriously needs to be looked at in our fourth quarters particularly when in half of those games the ball was in our forward half for most of the 4th quarter... I put it down to poor decision making and execution when under that intense pressure... part of that is skills, part of it is maturity. I'm hoping that improves as our group gets older. (and with the possible recruiting of some extra 'class' to go with a team that is largely 'grunt')
But - we have also gotten very close to beating the top 4 teams on the ladder. Our game plan and our team stood up for 90% of those games. There are some very glaring things that need to be improved, but personally I have seen enough to be optimistic about what lies ahead.

Just look at the Hawthorn loss as an example. We really should have won that, and were on top all day. They just had the right skills and execution that whenever our guys were slightly off at the contest, Hawthorn punished us, and got 2-3 over the top easy goals against the run of play. You can look at that and say - we played s**t we lost. Or you can look at that and say we got close to beating the reigning back-to-back premiers who were in the middle of an 8-game winning streak, and won their next 3 by a combined 299 points. (including demolishing 2 other contenders in Sydney and Freo).

Last edited:
When you're 8-3, you would not expect to win only one of your next 9 matches. That was what I meant by my use of the word "unexpected."

It wasn't really unexpected though, from day one when the fixture list was released pretty much every man and his dog had written us off for the majority of those games and that opinion didn't change throughout the season.

I don't see why Collingwood wanting to contend in two years time is so ridiculous though tbh, we've got plenty of good young talent coming through and some established stars that still have a lot of good footy left. Considering teams like Port and WB have turned things around quickly in recent years from much weaker positions I can't believe people would think this is such a ridiculous thought process from the Pies.

2017 flag is in the bag apparently.

1-8 vs the top 8
9-3 against the rest

The 8-3 start was a joke. Most lopsided draw since Essendon 2012.

Reminds me of 2014s 'flat track bullies' criticism of the Eagles - similar results - 2015 top 4, Pies 2016 :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back