Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was one who praised Bucks' bold selections going into the Hawks game (Moore and Maynard). In retrospect, 'bold' was possibly more like 'fool hardy'. More 'bold' selections were also made in following weeks.

Did the selections cost us games? Possibly. But as always, we didn't have access to all the information which led to the selections. There is a bigger plan, to get game time into the kids, and expose them to the best in the league. The old 'short term pain for long term gain'.

But in our case, this was potentially at the cost of losing one or two extra games. I doubt if the bold selections cost us more than that.

I was about to say "well 1 or 2 extra games could of put us in the finals"... until I saw just how far we had fallen behind the pack :eek:

I was one who praised Bucks' bold selections going into the Hawks game (Moore and Maynard). In retrospect, 'bold' was possibly more like 'fool hardy'. More 'bold' selections were also made in following weeks.

Did the selections cost us games? Possibly. But as always, we didn't have access to all the information which led to the selections. There is a bigger plan, to get game time into the kids, and expose them to the best in the league. The old 'short term pain for long term gain'.

But in our case, this was potentially at the cost of losing one or two extra games. I doubt if the bold selections cost us more than that.
I doubt there are too many who didn't scratch their heads a bit at a few selection decisions this year and yes, you may well question those selections in terms of whether they did or didn't cost us games but like you, I find people making calls on the sanity of the coach without any understanding of all of the issues around fitness, club or personal issues to be utterly moronic. The simple reality is that this thread has life only because of people who would do whatever they could to bag and/or destabilise Bucks. If you read through it, that side of the debate consistently puts up some of the most hilarious posts and they haven't wavered in over 4 years save for times when their idiocy becomes just too obvious after a win or two. These days I rarely debate the issues with that lot in this thread because they have found nothing sensible to say in all that time. Meanwhile, I find this thread one of the best places to come when I want a laugh. It delivers in spades. :thumbsu:

In our case, this was potentially at the cost of losing one or two extra games. But I doubt if the bold selections cost us more than that.

well it cost us a few games.... which cost us making the finals!!... and cost us feeling good...

that's a lot of cost. if i had to weigh things up, my good feelings about life in general are worth a lot to me. if buckley has had a negative impact on my joy and happiness, then he's going to hear from me through this forum....

The complaints, like the praise is directly correlated with team performance..as you would expect, kinda simple really.

I think you need to substitute Ladder Position for "team performance" - most here would agree that all things considered our performance apart from Rich and Melb has been good, given how much we have closed the gap against the best opposition.
We have critics of Bucks who offer nothing more than to focus on ladder position, and who accordingly were silent when we were 8-3 and 4th.
This simply shows that they have very little ability to see beyond ladder position, let alone produce a logical argument for why Bucks is to blame for our second half drop off.

And if they cant do the latter, then their opinions have very little substance.

Mark Robinson even pumping us up. The world's gone mad!

6. DE GOEY AND ADAMS: Scott Pendlebury played a different role which meant Collingwood’s future led the way in the middle. Pendlebury had zero clearances, while Adams and De Goey had 22 between them. Geelong had 21 as a team total. Can’t understand the negativity about Nathan Buckley and the Pies. Poor goalkicking cost them finals this year, not poor attitude or poor coaching. They should be $1.10 to play finals next year.

Head up guys we will be 100% fine buckleys model is in place with the youngsters we have we are going places especially if we get treloar added we are going to be a very good side, Moore is a star and countless others,

Perhaps the senior players can take over training during the week as they did last week? They seemed to play alot better................

Last edited:
I doubt there are too many who didn't scratch their heads a bit at a few selection decisions this year and yes, you may well question those selections in terms of whether they did or didn't cost us games but like you, I find people making calls on the sanity of the coach without any understanding of all of the issues around fitness, club or personal issues to be utterly moronic. The simple reality is that this thread has life only because of people who would do whatever they could to bag and/or destabilise Bucks. If you read through it, that side of the debate consistently puts up some of the most hilarious posts and they haven't wavered in over 4 years save for times when their idiocy becomes just too obvious after a win or two. These days I rarely debate the issues with that lot in this thread because they have found nothing sensible to say in all that time. Meanwhile, I find this thread one of the best places to come when I want a laugh. It delivers in spades. :thumbsu:
Nicely put
Luckily the Club doesnt take direction from Bigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So every decision the club has made was the right call?? :$

If so whats the point of even discussing anything since every call was correct?

The ridiculous calls made over the years has cost us premierships- all self inflicted.
Not every decision is correct; the club dosnt get it right every time, overall i think they make more good calls than not.
Equally not every thought bubble on bigfooty is correct either, sometimes shovk horror they too are wrong.
And why discuss it all? You corectly ask? Answer: why not, nothing better to do that offer my own two cents worth, but like most things in money, two cents is rounded down, so my opinions in effect is worth two cents rounded down ;)

The ridiculous calls made over the years has cost us premierships- all self inflicted.

which premierships. we lost one to geelong which a coach, match day lack of cost us. did we make any other gf , if not time to get over it
that coach has been consigned to the history bin

which premierships. we lost one to geelong which a coach, match day lack of cost us. did we make any other gf , if not time to get over it
that coach has been consigned to the history bin

Lol so blaming that coach falls outside 'the club' but the current coach falls inside 'the club'? If your going to argue how about being consistent.

As for lost premierships if you cant identify which ones then give it away. (btw some were under the previous coach) :$ and Im not just talking about coaching, it includes, selections, recruiting etc which fall under 'the club'!!!!!

There is no way that you can be 100% that those calls cost us premierships so you should just give it up.
It's blatant hand wringing with nothing much to back it up.
Have a look at the Cornes' brothers on Open Mike. They won in 2004 and thought it was just going to continue. The Bombers of 93 and 2000 thought the same. How about our Pies of 1990? Yeah I know you're about to talk about the best season ever in 2011. I suggest you look closely at the results of the games post round 14 (from memory) and the finals.

Lol so blaming that coach falls outside 'the club' but the current coach falls inside 'the club'? If your going to argue how about being consistent.

As for lost premierships if you cant identify which ones then give it away. (btw some were under the previous coach) :$ and Im not just talking about coaching, it includes, selections, recruiting etc which fall under 'the club'!!!!!

Seriously mate - make your case, be specific, at least we can then rationally assess your point of view, rather than just offering these ridiculous generalisations. .

There is no way that you can be 100% that those calls cost us premierships so you should just give it up.
It's blatant hand wringing with nothing much to back it up.
Have a look at the Cornes' brothers on Open Mike. They won in 2004 and thought it was just going to continue. The Bombers of 93 and 2000 thought the same. How about our Pies of 1990? Yeah I know you're about to talk about the best season ever in 2011. I suggest you look closely at the results of the games post round 14 (from memory) and the finals.

2011 season post rd 14 -

Rd 15: def Hawthorn by 41pts
Rd 16: def North by 117pts
Rd 17: def Carlton by 19pts after kicking 13.20
Rd 18: def Gold Coast by 54pts
Rd 19: def Ess by 74pts
Rd 20: def Port by 138pts
Rd 21: def Saints by 19pts
Rd 22: def Brisbane by 18 after kicking 14.18 to 13.6
Rd 23: def Freo by 80pts
Rd 24: lost to Cats by 96pts.

You wouldnt take that now? How can you possibly say it wasnt an error changing things when the club was travelling like this?

Finals were a lost opportunity. Coaching saga, betting scandals etc cost the club.

Like what ? Malthouse insisting playing Reid on Hawkins? Not coming up with some fabricated excuse for ANthony Rocca in 2003? Not knowing who Ted Hopkins was? Recruiting slow average midfielders in the late 70s to go against Carlton's gun mosquito fleet? Not paying that boundary umpire in 79? Not challenging the infamous evidence fabricated at the tribunal by that dog Harris against Lee Adamson? Not playing McKenna in the prelim in 73?
The fact is we have really been the best team twice in the past 40 years. That was 2010/2011. We got lucky in 90 because Sheedy outfoxed himself. By and large our decision making has failed in recruiting in seasons past. We haven't been bold enough. The decisions made in 2013 onwards were made to open a window whilst understanding that the window was closed for the then playing group

I've been looking at the 2011 season results all friggin day and I swear that there's a pattern there but I just cant find it. I have this weird feeling that if I find this pattern then I might be able to explain why we lost that grand final. However, I look and I look. I asked this guy with an IQ of 160 to see if he could find something and he came up with nothing. I thought the brains of BF could find the pattern in the results.

Port Adelaide Won by 75 points
North Melbourne Won by 87 points
Carlton Won by 28 points
Richmond Won by 71 points
Essendon Won by 30 points
Western Bulldogs Won by 48 point
Geelong Lost by 3 points
Adelaide Won by 43 points
West Coast Won by 52 points
St Kilda Won by 57 points
Melbourne Won by 88 point
Sydney Won by 6 points
Hawthorn Won by 41 points
North Melbourne Won by 117 points
Carlton Won by 19 points
Gold Coast Won by 54 points
Essendon Won by 74 points
Port Adelaide Won by 138 points
St Kilda Won by 19 points
Brisbane Lions Won by 18 points
Fremantle Won by 80 points
Geelong Lost by 96 points
West Coast Won by 20 points
Hawthorn Won by 3 points
Geelong Lost by 38 points

Not every decision is correct; the club dosnt get it right every time, overall i think they make more good calls than not.
Equally not every thought bubble on bigfooty is correct either, sometimes shovk horror they too are wrong.
And why discuss it all? You corectly ask? Answer: why not, nothing better to do that offer my own two cents worth, but like most things in money, two cents is rounded down, so my opinions in effect is worth two cents rounded down ;)
So your saying your opinion is worthless then ;).

Hang-on..... are you saying all our opinions on BF are worthless, shock horror. Here I thought that BF was an insightful place where we discussed ideas based on fact, not just sprouted our own opinions and made them sound like facts with solid evidence behind them :p

Both Adelaide and Essendon have made inquires to Buckley's management. Due diligence and all that. Will probably lead to a contact extension during the break. I'd prefer to wait and see how we go in 2016 but what can you do?

Both Adelaide and Essendon have made inquires to Buckley's management. Due diligence and all that. Will probably lead to a contact extension during the break. I'd prefer to wait and see how we go in 2016 but what can you do?

I guess both have Asked all Current AFL Head Coaches then

So your saying your opinion is worthless then ;).

Hang-on..... are you saying all our opinions on BF are worthless, shock horror. Here I thought that BF was an insightful place where we discussed ideas based on fact, not just sprouted our own opinions and made them sound like facts with solid evidence behind them :p
My opinions are especially worthles, yrs thats correct.
I mascarade as an insightful wise oracle, on all things Collingwood.
But alas im just without merit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back