Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Adelaide and Essendon have made inquires to Buckley's management. Due diligence and all that. Will probably lead to a contact extension during the break. I'd prefer to wait and see how we go in 2016 but what can you do?
Your signature is suggesting what people can do ;)
Nathan is here to stay, he, the board, management are all going in the same firection
I have afeeling this will lead to the ultimate success

Lol so blaming that coach falls outside 'the club' but the current coach falls inside 'the club'? If your going to argue how about being consistent.

As for lost premierships if you cant identify which ones then give it away. (btw some were under the previous coach) :$ and Im not just talking about coaching, it includes, selections, recruiting etc which fall under 'the club'!!!!!

your one that keeps banging on about mm and the clubs lost premierships. all i asked was which ones, except for 2011
we have not made any other gfs to win them. or do I have to make them up. if u think 2012 was also a miss, I feel sorry for u
we were never going to beat the hawks that year if I rightly recall we lost to sydney

Like what ? Malthouse insisting playing Reid on Hawkins? Not coming up with some fabricated excuse for ANthony Rocca in 2003? Not knowing who Ted Hopkins was? Recruiting slow average midfielders in the late 70s to go against Carlton's gun mosquito fleet? Not paying that boundary umpire in 79? Not challenging the infamous evidence fabricated at the tribunal by that dog Harris against Lee Adamson? Not playing McKenna in the prelim in 73?
The fact is we have really been the best team twice in the past 40 years. That was 2010/2011. We got lucky in 90 because Sheedy outfoxed himself. By and large our decision making has failed in recruiting in seasons past. We haven't been bold enough. The decisions made in 2013 onwards were made to open a window whilst understanding that the window was closed for the then playing group
So many painful memories I see. Bolded sentence got my attention though. It's bullsh#t.!!! yeah lots of exclamation marks!!!! and now in capitals.. BULLSH$T!!!! But swayed by popular revisionist opinion you may be young jedi. This Collingwood team finished second on the ladder 1 game behind Essendon. This Collingwood team absolutely dominated the Bombers in the grand final and yet shortly afterward was labelled the least talented and most lucky gf winner in recent history by some in the media. You seem to have taken your opinion from them. Untalented??? let me run a few names by you... Daicos, Brown, Millane, Shaw,McGuanne, Morwood, Wright, Russell, Turner, Francis, Christian, Kelly, Crossisca, Monkhorst, Banks, Starcevic, Barwick, Manson, and ok Kerrison and Gayfer. This team trumps 2010/2011 for pure football talent by a long way. How was this team that finished just one game behind Esendon "lucky" to win by 48 points in the grand final only because "Sheedy outfoxed himself"?? F##KIN wash your mouth out!!! Keen to hear you explanation for that one actually.. so how did "Sheedy outfox himself"?

So many painful memories I see. Bolded sentence got my attention though. It's bullsh#t.!!! yeah lots of exclamation marks!!!! and now in capitals.. BULLSH$T!!!! But swayed by popular revisionist opinion you may be young jedi. This Collingwood team finished second on the ladder 1 game behind Essendon. This Collingwood team absolutely dominated the Bombers in the grand final and yet shortly afterward was labelled the least talented and most lucky gf winner in recent history by some in the media. You seem to have taken your opinion from them. Untalented??? let me run a few names by you... Daicos, Brown, Millane, Shaw,McGuanne, Morwood, Wright, Russell, Turner, Francis, Christian, Kelly, Crossisca, Monkhorst, Banks, Starcevic, Barwick, Manson, and ok Kerrison and Gayfer. This team trumps 2010/2011 for pure football talent by a long way. How was this team that finished just one game behind Esendon "lucky" to win by 48 points in the grand final only because "Sheedy outfoxed himself"?? F##KIN wash your mouth out!!! Keen to hear you explanation for that one actually.. so how did "Sheedy outfox himself"?

Yeah it's funny isn't it? When we win one we're the least talented side that's ever won a flag or we're lucky that such and such happened.....but when other sides beat us they're great sides? Oh and when we lose a GF we're not up to it in the media but "The best side for that year or just poorly coached" amongst the supporters...:confused:

2011 season post rd 14 -

Rd 15: def Hawthorn by 41pts
Rd 16: def North by 117pts
Rd 17: def Carlton by 19pts after kicking 13.20
Rd 18: def Gold Coast by 54pts
Rd 19: def Ess by 74pts
Rd 20: def Port by 138pts
Rd 21: def Saints by 19pts
Rd 22: def Brisbane by 18 after kicking 14.18 to 13.6
Rd 23: def Freo by 80pts
Rd 24: lost to Cats by 96pts.

You wouldnt take that now? How can you possibly say it wasnt an error changing things when the club was travelling like this?

Finals were a lost opportunity. Coaching saga, betting scandals etc cost the club.
I did ask that you look closely at the results.
Rd 15: Hawthorn 3rd 7.9 to 7.7 after half time.
Rd 16: North 9th with 10 to 12 win loss. Spuds
Rd 17: Carlton 5th. Carlton's kicking rivaled ours after quarter time. 2nd 2.5 to 3.5, 3rd 5.5 to 6.5, 4th 2.2 to 2.4.
What was the reason for that? s**t kicking from set shots or rushed shots due to pressure or being lairs?
Rd 18: GC last. 9 goal uninspiring win off the back of a 9 goal second quarter. They matched it with us for the rest. Gameday thread was a cracker from memory. Took the foot off?
Rd 19: Essendon 8th. 11/10 win loss. Spuds. 10 goal last quarter blowout. WTF were we doing for 3 quarters? They got slapped by Carlton in first week of finals.
Rd.20: Port Adelaide were no better than GC. An absolute rabble.
Rd. 21: STK 6th. 12/9 win loss. They kicked 10.10 to our 14.5. Out in the first week of finals.
Rd. 22: BL 15th. They kicked 7 to our 2 goals in the last. We were only up by 30 at quarter time. Did we take the foot off? If so, was that a good thing leading into the finals and Rd 23 against the Cats who went in dry?
The poor kicking can point set shot issues, snaps from anywhere, pressured shots etc.
The fact that few of those performances were four quarter efforts caused me and some others some worry because we knew that Hawthorn and Geelong would push us to the brink when we met them next. As it happened, West Coast gave us a bit of a fright at the G, we pipped the Hawks and * talking about the GF. Tougher to flick the switch against the better sides.
I said in another thread that a mate of mine thought we had it in the bag until I showed him the form line from the last half of the season (not just the final score). He changed his mind and thought it was between Pies, Cats and Hawks. After round 23 he thought we were shot. After the prelim, he was backing the cats because according to him "this GF could get *in ugly"

I looked at these results back then, nearly put my foot through the TV when MM spoke of not busting a boiler after we were 50 down at half time against the Cats and pretty much conceded that Geelong would overrun us in the GF after the Hawks game. We shouldn't have been too bullish about the finals considering the form within the above games. Heater's betting, Daisy's brain fade, Mick's selfishness and stubborn nature pretty much summed up the team.

I did ask that you look closely at the results.
Rd 15: Hawthorn 3rd 7.9 to 7.7 after half time.
Rd 16: North 9th with 10 to 12 win loss. Spuds
Rd 17: Carlton 5th. Carlton's kicking rivaled ours after quarter time. 2nd 2.5 to 3.5, 3rd 5.5 to 6.5, 4th 2.2 to 2.4.
What was the reason for that? s**t kicking from set shots or rushed shots due to pressure or being lairs?
Rd 18: GC last. 9 goal uninspiring win off the back of a 9 goal second quarter. They matched it with us for the rest. Gameday thread was a cracker from memory. Took the foot off?
Rd 19: Essendon 8th. 11/10 win loss. Spuds. 10 goal last quarter blowout. WTF were we doing for 3 quarters? They got slapped by Carlton in first week of finals.
Rd.20: Port Adelaide were no better than GC. An absolute rabble.
Rd. 21: STK 6th. 12/9 win loss. They kicked 10.10 to our 14.5. Out in the first week of finals.
Rd. 22: BL 15th. They kicked 7 to our 2 goals in the last. We were only up by 30 at quarter time. Did we take the foot off? If so, was that a good thing leading into the finals and Rd 23 against the Cats who went in dry?
The poor kicking can point set shot issues, snaps from anywhere, pressured shots etc.
The fact that few of those performances were four quarter efforts caused me and some others some worry because we knew that Hawthorn and Geelong would push us to the brink when we met them next. As it happened, West Coast gave us a bit of a fright at the G, we pipped the Hawks and **** talking about the GF. Tougher to flick the switch against the better sides.
I said in another thread that a mate of mine thought we had it in the bag until I showed him the form line from the last half of the season (not just the final score). He changed his mind and thought it was between Pies, Cats and Hawks. After round 23 he thought we were shot. After the prelim, he was backing the cats because according to him "this GF could get ****in ugly"

I looked at these results back then, nearly put my foot through the TV when MM spoke of not busting a boiler after we were 50 down at half time against the Cats and pretty much conceded that Geelong would overrun us in the GF after the Hawks game. We shouldn't have been too bullish about the finals considering the form within the above games. Heater's betting, Daisy's brain fade, Mick's selfishness and stubborn nature pretty much summed up the team.
The whole geelong thing, we just couldnt get them amymore adter they plugged us in late season game
Shivers, cold, awful memories

The whole geelong thing, we just couldnt get them amymore adter they plugged us in late season game
Shivers, cold, awful memories
We had 1 bad game in 2011 which was in reality a dead rubber. We were right in the GF until the last Q. Had MM moved Tarrant onto Hawkins and taken a lame Reid off the ground when we were 1 tall too many down back given the injury to Podsiadly we may very well have won back to back flags for the first time since the '30s. Of course we can never know for sure whether we could have changed the result but the suggestion that our best ever H&A season was somehow the dawning of the end of time is completely made justification of the subsequent self inflicted ending of our premiership prospects.

We had 1 bad game in 2011 which was in reality a dead rubber. We were right in the GF until the last Q. Had MM moved Tarrant onto Hawkins and taken a lame Reid off the ground when we were 1 tall too many down back given the injury to Podsiadly we may very well have won back to back flags for the first time since the '30s. Of course we can never know for sure whether we could have changed the result but the suggestion that our best ever H&A season was somehow the dawning of the end of time is completely made justification of the subsequent self inflicted ending of our premiership prospects.
You make valid points re GF 2011. We did have a terrific season but somehow Ageelong seemed to gave our measure and they were in their golden era and that was our bad luck to meet them.
After 2012 we realised the list wasnt going to win a flag so rightly the club rebuilt the list

Podsiadly getting injured in the 2011 GF turned out to be the worst thing that happened to us, by memory they kept going to him and he was getting toweled up by Tarrant, he goes off Duncan comes on and has an impact and they start kicking to Hawkins.

I dont think Reid should of played anyway, he was injured that game and same goes with Jolly. In my view that was one we let slip and should of won but silly decisions cost us.

Podsiadly getting injured in the 2011 GF turned out to be the worst thing that happened to us, by memory they kept going to him and he was getting toweled up by Tarrant, he goes off Duncan comes on and has an impact and they start kicking to Hawkins.

I dont think Reid should of played anyway, he was injured that game and same goes with Jolly. In my view that was one we let slip and should of won but silly decisions cost us.
Not sure who replaces Jolly? He was very important to us, though he did decline towards the end.
But like lots of things, he didnt take the news well - still when he was fully going he was integral to any side he played for.

You make valid points re GF 2011. We did have a terrific season but somehow Ageelong seemed to gave our measure and they were in their golden era and that was our bad luck to meet them.
After 2012 we realised the list wasnt going to win a flag so rightly the club rebuilt the list
We were a play on call away from winning the first game v Geelong. I don't think they had our measure as such. We beat them in 2010 and 2012. As for 2012, I completely disagree with the assessment and IMO we zigged when we should have zagged. We haven't had the opportunity we were faced with in 2010-2012 for half a century. The way a lot of people on here think we are poised to open a premiership window flies in the face of our history, current results and list building probabilities.

We were a play on call away from winning the first game v Geelong. I don't think they had our measure as such. We beat them in 2010 and 2012. As for 2012, I completely disagree with the assessment and IMO we zigged when we should have zagged. We haven't had the opportunity we were faced with in 2010-2012 for half a century. The way a lot of people on here think we are poised to open a premiership window flies in the face of our history, current results and list building probabilities.
This is a reasonable opinion, whilst i think we disagree as historical decision making good or bad dosnt impact on decisions made today. If as i assume Nathan and his team is on the right path then we will have success.
Been wrong before.
But i always remind myself that there is only one flag available every year and we have 17 competitors. Not great odds. All you can do is build.
And what will be will be.

When collingwood lose it becomes the buckley thread....When collingwood win it becomes the general talk thread...God bless Nathan.

It would be nice if people actually talked about Buckley's coaching instead of Malthouse's. Both good and bad aspects.

Yeah but theres a lot of passion from the comments on here and they are fully entitled to have their say...thats only because they love the club and expect nothing but first class coaching and performance,because we are a powerhouse club and expect results, especially after nathan took over a young premiership side.

I hate Bucks....and yet...I love him.
I love his obvious professionalism in everything he does...but I hate his lacking 30 years coaching experience....
I love that he nearly always admits he and the side is still learning to be a better side, but that he's confident they're getting there.
I hate that he has not given a comprehensive list of which games we will win, by how much and/or a date for the next flag.
I love that he appears completely at ease and confident he can deliver for the club....but I hate that he is aware that he is doing the hard yards, learning the game, but is not crippled by a fear of failure as all young coaches supposedly should be.
It's also a worry that he and the club have not published a handbook explaining the "game plan" in detail regardless of how long has has had with the current list to develop it.

And yet..........

I hate Bucks....and yet...I love him.
I love his obvious professionalism in everything he does...but I hate his lacking 30 years coaching experience....
I love that he nearly always admits he and the side is still learning to be a better side, but that he's confident they're getting there.
I hate that he has not given a comprehensive list of which games we will win, by how much and/or a date for the next flag.
I love that he appears completely at ease and confident he can deliver for the club....but I hate that he is aware that he is doing the hard yards, learning the game, but is not crippled by a fear of failure as all young coaches supposedly should be.
It's also a worry that he and the club have not published a handbook explaining the "game plan" in detail regardless of how long has has had with the current list to develop it.

And yet..........
All these things that you love and hate about Bucks.. yet no mention of his teams winning games, making finals, losing games, missing finals. Not sure what it's all about for you but personally I couldn't give a flying F@ck about what he says/admits or how professional and good he is at saying it; or for that matter how at ease and confident he appears in front of a camera. Is he selling us Real estate? used cars?.

All these things that you love and hate about Bucks.. yet no mention of his teams winning games, making finals, losing games, missing finals. Not sure what it's all about for you but personally I couldn't give a flying F@ck about what he says/admits or how professional and good he is at saying it; or for that matter how at ease and confident he appears in front of a camera. Is he selling us Real estate? used cars?.
That's the difference between you and me...I know that everything I mentioned will be what decides if the team prospers.
You think the parameters you set have some effect on the team, the club and the future.
Now that is not a knock on you, just an observation.
You can pay for a membership or not pay for a membership...that's about all the sway we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back