Analysis The Bigfooty Best 22 - Voting closed! We have a best 22! Head to post #263!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in which players were missing from everyone's best 22? And why?

DeGoey, Maynard and Marsh are the three stiff to miss from my best side.

I thought DeGoey's production needs to improve, Maynard needs to get tighter defensively and that Marsh wasn't quite back six yet and wasn't versatile enough to warrant having him a bench player.

I didn't manage to squeeze in Greenwood, Scharenberg, Marsh or Broomhead! Which is crazy as I think they all deserve a spot. It gets even more ridiculous when you consider that I haven't got Blair, Goldsack, Macaffer, Sinclair, White or Toovey in the side - and I'm 100% certain that a few of those guys will get selected. Then that means that others like Aish, De Goey, Moore, Fasolo, Maynard and Ramsay will have to miss! Biggest selection headache since our premiership year I reckon!

Intresting that people see Aish NOT in starting 18
Not much diff between starting 18 and bench, Dave. I am almost 100% certain Aish will be selected in our 22 when available.

We are not a good enough side to be leaving players like Aish out of our 22.

We've done it! We've selected our best 22! Final voting for the interchange is in:

Travis Varcoe (22 votes), Jordan De Goey (20), Levi Greenwood (18), James Aish (17), Tim Broomhead (10), Jono Marsh (9), Jarrod Witts (5), Tyson Goldsack (2), Jesse White (2), Ben Sinclair (1). No love for Toovey, Macaffer, Blair or any of the older guard!

Which means our final interchange bench is:

INT: Travis Varcoe (22 votes), Jordan De Goey (20 votes), Levi Greenwood (18 votes), James Aish (17 votes)
EMG: Tim Broomhead (10 votes), Jono Marsh (9 votes), Jarrod Witts (5 votes).

Pretty stiff competition when we can't find a spot in the 22 for Broomhead, Marsh or Wittsy - but I've gotta say I think we picked a very strong team.

It's great to see Trav Varcoe finally cement a spot in the 22 - he polled lots of votes for the half back flank, half forward flank, wing and midfield positions, but just always seemed to be pipped at the post by strong competition. He was my favourite player to watch last season, with his desperation, workrate and skill standing out even when we were in the midst of our losing streak.

Jordy De Goey was our best performed first year player for quite some time last year, and barring a bad case of second year blues I think we can expect his game to go to the next level as his body matures and allows him to play his contested, bull-at-a-gate style for a full four quarters. Great to see him get a gig.

Levi Greenwood was another fresh face to be cruelled by injury in his first season, but he showed glimpses of what he can offer in his excellent game against Geelong where he utterly smashed Joel Selwood off the park - no mean feat. If he can hold down the defensive midfielder role (while getting his own ball, too) it will free up Jack Crisp to play the wing role which his size, pace and fitness make him seem a perfect fit for.

And James Aish just managed to sneak in, a player I think we'll all be thoroughly surprised with once he finds his feet at a real football club. Even at the shambles up north he played some insanely good games in his first two seasons. He's quality. I'm excited to see him get a go.

Which means all that is left is to reveal the Official Collingwood Bigfooty Consensus Best 22 for season 2016:

THE FINAL TEAM

B:
Marley Williams --- Nathan Brown --- Tom Langdon
HB: Matthew Scharenberg --- Ben Reid --- Brayden Maynard
C: Steele Sidebottom --- Scott Pendlebury --- Jack Crisp
HF: Jeremy Howe --- Travis Cloke --- Dane Swan
F: Jamie Elliott --- Darcy Moore --- Alex Fasolo
R: Brodie Grundy --- Adam Treloar --- Taylor Adams
Int: Travis Varcoe, Jordan De Goey, Levi Greenwood, James Aish

Emg: Tim Broomhead, Jonathan Marsh, Jarrod Witts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final vote-getters:

FULL BACK - Nathan Brown (58 votes), Jack Frost (1), Jono Marsh (1), Travis Cloke (1)
BACK POCKETS - Marley Williams (55 votes), Tom Langdon (25), Jono Marsh (23), Brayden Maynard (8), Jack Ramsay (6), Alan Toovey (2), Matt Scharenberg (2), Ben Sinclair (2), Trav Varcoe (2), Tyson Goldsack (1).
CENTRE HALF BACK: Ben Reid (42 votes), Jono Marsh (6), Jack Frost (2), Travis Cloke (2), Jesse White (1).
HALF BACK FLANK: Matt Scharenberg (42 votes), Brayden Maynard (12), Travis Varcoe (10), Tom Langdon (9), Jono Marsh (5), Tyson Goldsack (2), Marley Williams (1), Steele Sidebottom (1), Scott Pendlebury (1), and James Aish (1).
RUCK: Brodie Grundy (48 votes), Jarrod Witts (1 vote), Mason Cox (1 vote).
MIDFIELD: Scott Pendlebury (35 votes), Adam Treloar (32), Taylor Adams (28), Jack Crisp (10), Dane Swan (7), Levi Greenwood (6), Jordan De Goey (5), James Aish (2), Steele Sidebottom (1).
WINGS: Steele Sidebottom (30 votes), Jack Crisp (18), Travis Varcoe (11), James Aish (8), Adam Treloar (3), Taylor Adams (1), Tim Broomhead (1), Adam Oxley (1).
CENTRE HALF FORWARD: Travis Cloke (35 votes), Ben Reid (2), Jesse White (1).
HALF FORWARD FLANKS: Jeremy Howe (15 votes), Dane Swan (15), Jamie Elliott (13), Tim Broomhead (7), Jordan De Goey (4), Steele Sidebottom (3), Travis Varcoe (2), Alex Fasolo (1), James Aish (1).
FULL FORWARD: Darcy Moore (32 votes), Ben Reid (4), Jesse White (2), Travis Cloke (1), Jarrod Witts (1).
FORWARD POCKETS: Jamie Elliott (32 votes), Alex Fasolo (17), Darcy Moore (5), Dane Swan (5), Tim Broomhead (4), Jesse White (3), Jarryd Blair (2), Jeremy Howe (1).

INTERCHANGE: Travis Varcoe (22 votes), Jordan De Goey (20), Levi Greenwood (18), James Aish (17), Tim Broomhead (10), Jono Marsh (9), Jarrod Witts (5), Tyson Goldsack (2), Jesse White (2), Ben Sinclair (1).

I think we've done a really great job picking our best 22. Some unlucky omissions, but some serious depth to contend with. Thank you all for participating - let's see how our hive-mind prediction pans out in round 1, 2016!

We've done it! We've selected our best 22! Final voting for the interchange is in:

Travis Varcoe (22 votes), Jordan De Goey (20), Levi Greenwood (18), James Aish (17), Tim Broomhead (10), Jono Marsh (9), Jarrod Witts (5), Tyson Goldsack (2), Jesse White (2), Ben Sinclair (1). No love for Toovey, Macaffer, Blair or any of the older guard!

Which means our final interchange bench is:

INT: Travis Varcoe (22 votes), Jordan De Goey (20 votes), Levi Greenwood (18 votes), James Aish (17 votes)
EMG: Tim Broomhead (10 votes), Jono Marsh (9 votes), Jarrod Witts (5 votes).

Pretty stiff competition when we can't find a spot in the 22 for Broomhead, Marsh or Wittsy - but I've gotta say I think we picked a very strong team.

It's great to see Trav Varcoe finally cement a spot in the 22 - he polled lots of votes for the half back flank, half forward flank, wing and midfield positions, but just always seemed to be pipped at the post by strong competition. He was my favourite player to watch last season, with his desperation, workrate and skill standing out even when we were in the midst of our losing streak.

Jordy De Goey was our best performed first year player for quite some time last year, and barring a bad case of second year blues I think we can expect his game to go to the next level as his body matures and allows him to play his contested, bull-at-a-gate style for a full four quarters. Great to see him get a gig.

Levi Greenwood was another fresh face to be cruelled by injury in his first season, but he showed glimpses of what he can offer in his excellent game against Geelong where he utterly smashed Joel Selwood off the park - no mean feat. If he can hold down the defensive midfielder role (while getting his own ball, too) it will free up Jack Crisp to play the wing role which his size, pace and fitness make him seem a perfect fit for.

And James Aish just managed to sneak in, a player I think we'll all be thoroughly surprised with once he finds his feet at a real football club. Even at the shambles up north he played some insanely good games in his first two seasons. He's quality. I'm excited to see him get a go.

Which means all that is left is to reveal the Official Collingwood Bigfooty Consensus Best 22 for season 2016:

Sterling effort Lenny in marshalling the hive!

Carlton board can't play this game until SOS adds another 27 players.

THE FINAL TEAM

B:

Very solid team.

Tbh the only changes I would make would be;
If Howe is under performing after say 5 rounds you'd have to bring one if white, Witts or Marsh in to take his spot. I actually think with 4 mids on the bench that Grundy is going to get super tired. It will also take Moore out of the forward line for stints...
I think white could take Howe's spot and perform adequately, probably freeing Moore up a lot. OR, as a point of difference we could chuck Marsh in to the forward line. Being lightening quick and now knowing how to mark well, could be an asset to the forward line and could easily sneak to a wing and burn opposition on the turnover. He's also tall enough that if Darcy needed to ruck for 5 mins that marsh could play KPF briefly to fill in.

Exciting times. Now let's all just pray for an injury free pre season!

THE FINAL TEAM

B:

Terrific work lenny, a fun and entertaining exercise. Well done on all your efforts tracking and tallying the votes! :)

Only a couple of those selections I dissent with, but it's an interesting snapshot of where the balance of BigFooty opinion sits.

And (with your indulgence), for illustrative purposes, here's a snapshot of who didn't make the cut:

B: Alan Toovey --- Jack Frost --- Jackson Ramsay
HB: Ben Sinclair --- Jonathan Marsh --- Tyson Goldsack
C: Tim Broomhead --- Brent Macaffer --- Adam Oxley
HF: (Draft Pick) --- Jesse White --- (Draft Pick)
F: Mason Cox --- Corey Gault --- (Draft Pick)
R: Jarrod Witts --- Matthew Goodyear --- Jarryd Blair
I: Darrean Wyatt --- (Rookie Pick) --- (Rookie Pick) --- (Rookie Pick)

Strong/realistic cases can be made for just about everyone from the backline down to CHF, as well as the ruckman and the rover. Under a conservative estimate, our depth bats down to the 30th player and, optimistically, well into the actual thirties, with maybe a mature-age option or two to be added with late picks beyond that...

THE FINAL TEAM

B:
Good exercise. I think that backline is just a tad inexperienced to start the season.

While I like Maynard and hope he forces his way in, I think Toovey will start the year in this backline spot.

Outside of that, I'd only swap Broomhead in for Fasolo. I prefer the added pace before Fasolo's overhead marking.

Good exercise. I think that backline is just a tad inexperienced to start the season.

While I like Maynard and hope he forces his way in, I think Toovey will start the year in this backline spot.

Outside of that, I'd only swap Broomhead in for Fasolo. I prefer the added pace before Fasolo's overhead marking.
Agree with your first point I really like the look of Maynard and Shaz but the reality is that Goldsack was playing good footy off half back and although Toovey struggled on previous form it was these guys who were holding down roles as we got to 8-3 early in the season. There's no doubt some youth was blooded once the season was gone but whether they are bona fide best 22 just yet is in question.
I hope they are though because of their superior skill level.

Terrific work lenny, a fun and entertaining exercise. Well done on all your efforts tracking and tallying the votes! :)

Only a couple of those selections I dissent with, but it's an interesting snapshot of where the balance of BigFooty opinion sits.

And (with your indulgence), for illustrative purposes, here's a snapshot of who didn't make the cut:

B: Alan Toovey --- Jack Frost --- Jackson Ramsay
HB: Ben Sinclair --- Jonathan Marsh --- Tyson Goldsack
C: Tim Broomhead --- Brent Macaffer --- Adam Oxley
HF: (Draft Pick) --- Jesse White --- (Draft Pick)
F: Mason Cox --- Corey Gault --- (Draft Pick)
R: Jarrod Witts --- Matthew Goodyear --- Jarryd Blair
I: Darrean Wyatt --- (Rookie Pick) --- (Rookie Pick) --- (Rookie Pick)

Strong/realistic cases can be made for just about everyone from the backline down to CHF, as well as the ruckman and the rover. Under a conservative estimate, our depth bats down to the 30th player and, optimistically, well into the actual thirties, with maybe a mature-age option or two to be added with late picks beyond that...

I was thinking on this the other night. I think it demonstrates our depth lacks midfielders personally. All be it I think the Big Footy 22 has one too many midfielders in it for balance arguments.

I was thinking on this the other night. I think it demonstrates our depth lacks midfielders personally. All be it I think the Big Footy 22 has one too many midfielders in it for balance arguments.

Good point.

I see you've got De Goey outside your best 22, along with Maynard from the consensus side. Who do you have in, out of curiosity?

THE FINAL TEAM

B:

Well isn't that nice, you didn't have to do this big survey and could have just asked me, that is literally the exact best 22 I put together in my post a few weeks back ;)

Good team and thanks for putting that together!

Overall, that's quite a young and inexperienced team. While not in the bigfooty best 22, Blair, Toovs, Macaffer and Goldsack will all be getting games next year (if they get pushed out of the team it will be a good sign ala what happened to O'bree, Lockyer, Medders and Fraser in 2010). No matter what you think of them, they are handy depth to have with such a young list.

Personally, I have Toovs in ahead of Maynard (again, if Maynard or say Ramsay displace him that's a good thing) and Witts ahead of De Goey (don't want to play Moore as the 2nd ruckman) for our round 1 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back