Lillee vs McGrath

Who was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My vote ties it up 16 all. If you're too lazy to check, I voted for DK. I love a stat as much as anyone, but for me it's the "vibe" (to coin a phrase).

And I even share a birthday with Pigeon.

DK for me. Loved his leg cutter. Anyone want to see DK Watch the clip of him destroying the Windies on Boxing Day. And he'd lost a yard or two by then

DK for me. Loved his leg cutter. Anyone want to see DK Watch the clip of him destroying the Windies on Boxing Day. And he'd lost a yard or two by then
Certainly the best I have seen.

Certainly the best I have seen.

Too young to recall Lillee before he did his back. So best I've seen were Marshall and Ambrose. Then Lillee and Akram. Then Hadlee. Then McGrath about level with Walsh. No shame there for Pidgeon. Some rate Walsh as best ever. Steyn , Holding, and Donald all handy too

Best In order I have seen since 1974

Hadlee
Lillee
Marshall
Holding
Steyn
Ambrose
Donald
McGrath
Akram
Roberts

Best Fast Bowler I have seen if you could have them on their best day would be Jeff Thomson. Simply the most destructive bowler I have seen.

I assume that's not including Mitchell Johnson because he's still playing?

Quite a few in front of Mitch, I think based on that I said it was from 1974 onwards it was clear that included up to today! Why do you think it would not include him?

Oh... I just thought given he was still playing he wouldn't be included in the list. That's weird though because it means you considered but did not include Mitchell Starc, as well?

Pakistan had Sarfaraz Nawaz and Imran Khan around the same time Lillee was playing, I don't know about any quality Pakistani spinners in the '70s. Maybe they still prepared turners when Australia toured to negate Lillee, but McGrath played on many turners in India and Sri Lanka and still did fantastically well.
Pakistan pitches in those days were so flat Rod Marsh bowled 10 overs one game IIRC

Oh... I just thought given he was still playing he wouldn't be included in the list. That's weird though because it means you considered but did not include Mitchell Starc, as well?
I will be honest I never considered Starc, didn't consider Siddle, hazelwood, Pattinson, Cummings etc
Sorry I thought we were talking about the greatest bowlers in history not who has played for Australia the last few years

I will be honest I never considered Starc, didn't consider Siddle, hazelwood, Pattinson, Cummings etc
Sorry I thought we were talking about the greatest bowlers in history not who has played for Australia the last few years

Not those other guys, no, but did you know Starc just bowled the fastest ball ever?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well officially akhtar, Tait, Lee and Thomson all quicker.
First three timed in first meter out of hand and Thomson timed at batsmans end after pitching. So if they said that they were wrong but that's not unusual

They might've said fastest ball in test history or something.

I was there as a kid - my first day of Test Cricket- I've yet to see a better one - and I've seen a lot since - Kim Hughes made the best century I've ever seen in horrid conditions against a world class attack (Roberts, Holding, Garner & Croft) off the top of my head on a spiteful track. DK got Viv to chop on on the last ball of the day and the crowd went nuts.

You also make an excellent point about DK phase two recovering from a broken back and becoming a cannier bowler by cutting his pace and run as Hadlee did a few years later

Back