Lillee vs McGrath

Who was better?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Your view has no credibility because the list I just gave you of players who rate Lillee the best only one of them could be deemed a fast bowler, the others were all great batsman. You obviously have not heard of most of those guys? Maybe you can ask one of your teachers?? Lol

I made reference to the batsmen too, perhaps you didn't fully read my post. Short attention span perhaps?

As I said, they never faced McGrath so their arguments are irrelevant.

By using sheer numbers, you could also argue that Shane Warne is Australia's greatest ever all rounder.

More spurious logic. You require a solid definition of all rounder and he doesn't qualify as that.

Warne was obviously a better bowler than lillee though, and probably McGrath too.

I find this one really hard to split. McGrath has the numbers, but a lot of those games were against very weak English sides - made to look even weaker than they were by the skill of McGrath and Warne. Lillee never had the chance to come up against genuinely weak opponents, although Indian and Pakistani batsmen in Australia were (like now) usually going to struggle in pacier, bouncier conditions.

Some of Lillee's best years were in WSC and are therefore not in the stats. On the other hand bats were twigs (unless Clive Lloyd was welding what looked at the time like half a Guyanyan forest compressed into one bit of timber) even compared to McGrath's time; and were barely strips of bark compared to today's weapons. Lillee also played on more unpredictable surfaces, and some venues did not have sightscreens, which aids the bowling in comparison.

I would probably go with McGrath, but there is no real science to that beyond perceptions of the eras. I just think that his ability to land the ball in the right spot time after time after time perhaps gives him the edge in more conditions.

OK. Nice trolling to this point, I fell for it, but now you've made it obvious.

Nah the tony dodemaide comment was tongue in cheek, the rest is legit. As the poll shows it's a close call. Personally I'd have McGrath, but I'm not always right. Just ask my wife.

OK. Nice trolling to this point, I fell for it, but now you've made it obvious.
That's alright, just ignore the troll and discuss the topic with the grown ups. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub continent dirt track trundlers cannot.

On that note, Lillee has a pretty terrible record in Asia while McGrath was outstanding in the alien conditions over there. When it comes to these kind of 'best player' debates I like to consider how they performed outside of their comfort zone. Normally it would just be a small thing to consider but the gap in their Asian performance is massive, so I think McGrath is better.

Lillee averaged 68 in Asia taking 6 wickets at a strike rate of 132. McGrath averaged 23 taking 72 wickets at a strike rate of 54. Lillee was in the subcontinent as Vinay Kumar was in Australia.

On that note, Lillee has a pretty terrible record in Asia while McGrath was outstanding in the alien conditions over there. When it comes to these kind of 'best player' debates I like to consider how they performed outside of their comfort zone. Normally it would just be a small thing to consider but the gap in their Asian performance is massive, so I think McGrath is better.

Lillee averaged 68 in Asia taking 6 wickets at a strike rate of 132. McGrath averaged 23 taking 72 wickets at a strike rate of 54. Lillee was in the subcontinent as Vinay Kumar was in Australia.
Good point

I saw both careers in full. I went Lillee for his 10kph of extra pace, ability to really physically intimidate, his ability to completely change a game in a 5-6 over spell then ability to change how he bowled as he got older and starting losing his pace.

Last edited:

Different era though. Once Pakistan got bowlers the like of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Aktar their pitches became alot more faster bowler friendly. In Lillee's days they were slow, low turners with zero for the quicks.

So you'd take the guy who took less wickets at more runs per wicket? Interesting.

Or averaged half a wicket a game more. Lillee was physically devastating with his speed. It's a rare breed that averages 5 wickets per Test as a fast bowler.

Less wickets, but alot less Tests. With injuries, World Series Cricket, you'd think he'd have taken alot more.

Different era though. Once Pakistan got bowlers the like of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Aktar their pitches became alot more faster bowler friendly. In Lillee's days they were slow, low turners with zero for the quicks.

Pakistan had Sarfaraz Nawaz and Imran Khan around the same time Lillee was playing, I don't know about any quality Pakistani spinners in the '70s. Maybe they still prepared turners when Australia toured to negate Lillee, but McGrath played on many turners in India and Sri Lanka and still did fantastically well.

Back